Forums

Topic: Where Does Nintendo Go From Here?

Posts 101 to 120 of 268

veeflames

@Bolt_Strike:
"Real violence, not cartoon violence."
Nope, the violence that occurs in any game is virtual violence. It's not real.
You want real violence? Head over to the troubled parts of the world.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Bolt_Strike

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@Bolt_Strike:

Semantics. The point being, older fans are not going to respond as well to cartoon violence as they are with more realistic violence.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Sleepingmudkip

For the new CEO or president I think they need someone similar to Shuhei Yoshida and phil spencer......

Edited on by Sleepingmudkip

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

AceDefective

What we need is a CEO who has enough of a spine to do what s/he thinks Nintendo NEEDS to do and not what the out-of-touch old people investors/board want them to do.
S/He also needs to have that same (or at least close) creative spark Iwata had, and be willing to step outside of convention every once in a while.
I prefer Nintendo not become another Sony or MS but also definitely not another SEGA, Konami, or Capcom...

Edited on by AceDefective

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Nicolai

@ZeroZX-Dev:
I always thought the problem is that Nintendo is stepping out of convention, just not in the way people want it too. I always pictured stakeholders getting down his throat to try to be more like his competitors, when Iwata and friends were stubbornly trying to be unique, for better or for worse. That's why Nintendo was late to things like online-play, HD, mobile, the toys-to-life platform, and more recently virtual reality. His belief that he should set itself apart from the competition kept Nintendo from following trends when it needed to, and instead innovated in ways not everybody was asking for.

Personally, I'd rather have the innovation, but I can't deny that, under Iwata's watch, Nintendo missed a lot of trends that they should have followed earlier. It's mostly an objective observation though. I'm not complaining.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@Bolt_Strike:

Semantics. The point being, older fans are not going to respond as well to cartoon violence as they are with more realistic violence.

Why is one better than the other for older fans?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

JaredFogle wrote:

On any of the other consoles or a PC, one can play literally every type of game imaginable. Strategy games, sports, shooters, air combat, racing, puzzlers, platformers, unique indies, fighting games, etc, etc...the list is nearly endless. Those "other" developers are busy making games of every type and style already. Children and adults own Xbox's and PS4's.

We weren't talking about variety we were talking about volume. And quality. All I was saying was why should Nintendo try to compete with the GTAs and Assassin's Creeds of the world? There are already huge studios dedicated to pumping out those sort of titles. People don't buy Nintendo's systems for those titles anyways. And the reverse is true. Why would the other devs pour money into "Nintendo style" games on the other platforms? All of the people who are into Nintendo's style of games buy into Nintendo's ecosystem.

For sure they should produce a larger variety of content and I'd say the same of every game developer. We all want more variety and there is no limit to that. But Nintendo has a unique brand and they serve a section of the market that isn't particularly well served otherwise. So other than the cries of doom which claim to be about sales numbers but ignore part of what the sales numbers say... what reason is there?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

veeflames

Bolt_Strike wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@Bolt_Strike:

Sigh... Quite a bit of truth there. Darn shame.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Sleepingmudkip

Nintendo also should try to take some more risks...splatoon was an amazing risk and i think they should let more studios try new projects as well as letting some of the younger people in the company try to take some leads(with over sight with the older staff of course) because as we have seen, not everyone going to last forever so they need to start training the younger developers.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Haiassai

No. Nintendo must stick to their core ideas of fun and innovation. Iwata was amazing in bringing friendliness to gaming. Granted, I do believe they should push the envelope and as stated before take risks, but having a a CEO like Yoshida and Spencer would make Nintendo just another gaming company. A healthy balance is needed.

Edited on by Haiassai

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

AceDefective

@Nicolai: I agree with you, Nintendo is behind in some cases but I feel like being standout works out better for them in the long run. I honestly don't think Nintendo could make a "traditional" console and do it anywhere near as well as Sony or MS anymore, the GameCube (as much people love it and try to pretend otherwise) was proof they can't float in the same boat anymore.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

AtomiCartridge

@Sleepingmudkip: Agreed. Every time Nintendo takes a risk is when they're at their best. After all, the NES, N64, Wii, DS and 3DS were massive risks. And here we are today, enjoying and playing all of these fantastic games that us and everyone else thought were absolutely crazy.

Twilight Symphony. Enough Said.

My cat Ivory approves of your posts. Please continue to make more of them so that she does not consume my soul.

Henmii

@Nicolai,

But now the situation has suddenly changed, and they probably beg Miyamoto to do the job. Japanese people are full of pride, and I guess if they ask him he won't refuse. He would see it as a honor, and his duty to save the company.

Henmii

-Green-

@Henmii: I doubt Nintendo wasn't prepared. Considering Iwata was known to be terribly ill, it's almost certain that Nintendo already had plans set in motion in case Iwata passed away. It just depends on what their plans are and how they handle them, but it's highly unlikely that they were unprepared. Nintendo as a general company is doing fine as far as I'm aware.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Hendesu

@AtomiCartridge: Gamecube says hello.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

erv

I'm hard-pressed to believe nintendo doesn't have a plan here. Iwata was ill, and people close to him must have known as much. The illness he had has an extremely low survival rate as well. At some point, there must have been talks.

He may have succumbed to the illness sooner than expected in terms of weeks to go, but way before e3 many nintendo people must have known there was no turning around anymore. Perhaps that is why the e3 they had was so, well, run through the motions - even myamoto seemed more preserved with the not-now, so to speak.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

TuVictus

@AtomiCartridge: I really wouldn't call the Wii much of a risk. It used very outdated hardware and made a profit on each unit sold from the beginning. The Wii U was more of a risk since they priced it so that they wouldn't make a profit on each unit sold and tried betting on the Wii name to carry it to success. As we saw, it failed. So I don't think Nintendo is necessarily at their best when they take risks. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't. At this point a risk for Nintendo would be putting out a console that competes on a technical level with the others. Releasing another underpowered piece of hardware compared to the competition to ensure they make money on each unit sold won't be much of a risk

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@rferrari24: I don't believe he's a Nintendo employee, but he can still become president. No one ever said the new CEO had to come from inside Nintendo, itself.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

iKhan

erv wrote:

I'm hard-pressed to believe nintendo doesn't have a plan here. Iwata was ill, and people close to him must have known as much. The illness he had has an extremely low survival rate as well. At some point, there must have been talks.

He may have succumbed to the illness sooner than expected in terms of weeks to go, but way before e3 many nintendo people must have known there was no turning around anymore. Perhaps that is why the e3 they had was so, well, run through the motions - even myamoto seemed more preserved with the not-now, so to speak.

Many people are incorrectly assuming Iwata had cancer. He had a bile duct tumor, but I haven't seen any information that it was cancerous. Generally, a cancerous tumor isn't just called a "growth". From what I heard, Iwata was unexpectedly hospitalized, and didn't make it. It wasn't really an expected thing as with Steve Jobs 4 years ago.

That said, he did have a surgery on a vital internal organ last year, so I agree that Nintendo probably had some contingency plan in place.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

Operative wrote:

really wouldn't call the Wii much of a risk. It used very outdated hardware and made a profit on each unit sold from the beginning. The Wii U was more of a risk since they priced it so that they wouldn't make a profit on each unit sold and tried betting on the Wii name to carry it to success. As we saw, it failed. So I don't think Nintendo is necessarily at their best when they take risks. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't. At this point a risk for Nintendo would be putting out a console that competes on a technical level with the others. Releasing another underpowered piece of hardware compared to the competition to ensure they make money on each unit sold won't be much of a risk

The Wii tried to tap a new market while simultaneously appealing to older fans despite not significantly improving the specs of their machine. Instead they relied on a unique control scheme that no one could predict as a success. I'd define that as a risk.

Sure they profited on every unit sold, but if they sold 5 units, then the system would have still lost them money.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.