Forums

Topic: Where Does Nintendo Go From Here?

Posts 121 to 140 of 268

Socar

Nicolai wrote:

@ZeroZX-Dev:
I always thought the problem is that Nintendo is stepping out of convention, just not in the way people want it too. I always pictured stakeholders getting down his throat to try to be more like his competitors, when Iwata and friends were stubbornly trying to be unique, for better or for worse. That's why Nintendo was late to things like online-play, HD, mobile, the toys-to-life platform, and more recently virtual reality. His belief that he should set itself apart from the competition kept Nintendo from following trends when it needed to, and instead innovated in ways not everybody was asking for.

Personally, I'd rather have the innovation, but I can't deny that, under Iwata's watch, Nintendo missed a lot of trends that they should have followed earlier. It's mostly an objective observation though. I'm not complaining.

During Hiroshi Yamauchi's retirement, he also came into assistance and suggested Iwata to make the Wii and DS the way they are now. So if the previous president himself felt that innovation was needed, then its clear that they need a CEO with that vision of innovation as well.

Also, the CEO isn't the one always the one who makes the next console or handheld as the one who actually made the Wii U is Katsuya Eguchi and not Iwata. Iwata's job is to make Nintendo profit by leading Nintendo to directions. I don't understand why people misunderstand that the CEO would be the one responsible for releasing such hardware and software.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

iKhan

I'm going to throw some ideas out for Iwata's successor.

1. Yoshiaki Koizumi- I firmly believe this guy is the most talented developer at Nintendo. Look at his page on Wikipedia. Almost everything he has done has been almost universally well received by the fan base. In terms of his abilities as an executive, he has run EAD Tokyo very smoothly since he was promoted to head the division after Super Mario Galaxy. He's maintained incredibly high quality with the group's games, and as a producer, has managed to get every game out at or ahead of time. He would be a risky choice, but I think his insight could really push Nintendo forward.

2. Satoshi Tajiri- creator of Pokemon and CEO of Game Freak. This is a safer choice, and I think it would work great. Tajiri has let Game Freak through astounding growth and success, expanding the studio's talents far beyond just Pokemon. From his experience with RBY and GSC, we know that he has an understanding of how to create kid-friendly games that are fun for adults.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Socar

@iKhan: Both these guys have talent in the creative department and not something in the level of Satoru Iwata. The thing that Hiroshi Yamauchi saw in Iwata was because seeing how he saved HAL under bankruptcy, he knew that he could do the same for Nintendo as well and it shows. The problem is that these two don't seem to like taking any risks in their development or financial process as they are just told what to do and that's that.

Also, I don't think Tajiri-San is capable as a CEO for Nintendo because he has some personal problems like the him being under autism. Not that I'm saying that he can't do it because of his disability but because this is also something that the board will observe in the long term.

Edited on by Socar

erv

@iKhan: good thinking.

I'm curious as to what nintendo ends up doing. We'll see of course, but still - iwata is a hard guy to replace. Yet I believe the transition nintendo is in is solid and well carried, so to me, there's not much uncertainty.

The next nintendo direct is going to feel strange.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

iKhan

Artwark wrote:

Both these guys have talent in the creative department and not something in the level of Satoru Iwata. The thing that Hiroshi Yamauchi saw in Iwata was because seeing how he saved HAL under bankruptcy, he knew that he could do the same for Nintendo as well and it shows. The problem is that these two don't seem to like taking any risks in their development or financial process as they are just told what to do and that's that.

Also, I don't think Tajiri-San is capable as a CEO for Nintendo because he has some personal problems like the him being under autism. Not that I'm saying that he can't do it because of his disability but because this is also something that the board will observe in the long term.

Finding someone with Iwata's workhorse attitude, passion for the medium, fun personality, creativity, and intelligence will be nigh on impossible. I think in the short term they need to focus on getting someone who will keep up with Iwata's vision before he passed, then respond to the problems that arise moving forward with it.

Koizumi snuck the story into Mario Galaxy. He created Z-Targeting, wrote Majora's Mask's story, and wrote Link's Awakening's story. I'd say he takes plenty of risks.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LetsGoRetro

First off, let me say RIP to Iwata-san. He is a legend in the game & will be sorely missed. I will say a prayer for he and his family.

As far as Nintendo's direction, I honestly feel that that always was, still is, an always will be, determined by the guys in the creative roles, i.e. the Miyamoto's, Aonuma's, etc. These guys truly are Nintendo to me. I knew Miyamoto's name before I knew any other name in gaming. I specifically remember being a young teen and going to n64.com every week, super excited to read every article and the mailbag done by either Peer Schneider or Matt Cassiminassa (bad spelling, and can't remember which did it, but I think MC). Even back then, they were doing features on his influence, upcoming projects, etc. So that name, to me, IS Nintendo.

I know Iwata was also a programmer and worked on games, but he took on a coroporate role for a long time, and while the corporate side always plays a big part in any company's decisions, I feel Nintendo is definitely one of those companies that just lets the creative guys create, doesn't get involved, and trusts to put out whatever the creative ones say to be out.

TL;DR They will be fine with Miyamoto, Aonuma, and I'm sure many other influential names that I don't know of. RIP Iwata-san

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

Koizumi snuck the story into Mario Galaxy. He created Z-Targeting, wrote Majora's Mask's story, and wrote Link's Awakening's story. I'd say he takes plenty of risks.

I think Koizumi understands how to modernize Nintendo's games more than the rest of Nintendo, but that really doesn't make him a good CEO. We don't know how he is with hardware or general business, just software. If anything, he should take Miyamoto's role when he retires. I think he could breathe new life into many of Nintendo's IPs, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think Koizumi understands how to modernize Nintendo's games more than the rest of Nintendo, but that really doesn't make him a good CEO. We don't know how he is with hardware or general business, just software. If anything, he should take Miyamoto's role when he retires. I think he could breathe new life into many of Nintendo's IPs, but I'm not sure about anything else.

I said that in regards to Artwark's assertion that he wouldn't be willing to take risk. I think he'd be a good CEO due to a combination of his ingenuity and his skills as a producer. I believe every Mario game he has produced has come out on time or early with a great deal of polish. That indicates a good ability to lead and organize people.

Henmii

@Aromaiden,

I said that the situation suddenly changed, because everyone assumed (and hoped) he would be around for many more years. But that sadly wasn't to be. I guess that Mister Iwata already had chosen one (or a few) contenders to become the new president, that's how things go. Tezuka could also be a contender. Or Aonuma (though if that happens, we have to miss him on the Zelda series). Or maybe Morimori (or what was his name?). He did the last Direct, but maybe they think he's to young. Hopefully it won't be someone from DENA though.

Back to mister Iwata: Whatever you think of him or his leadership, you must admit that its very cool that he didn't hide in the closet like most Company presidents. He showed his face, he always brought the news "Directly" to us. That's what I appreciate about him. In that sense he was very different from Yamauchi, though those where different times. I still have some Iwata asks to read though. I always liked those. Also, I read he also saved HAL back in the day. I am very grateful for that. They mostly make Kirby's, but MAN are they good!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Socar

Ok more of a rant.....how is it that you guys now show some respect to Iwata when earlier, you wished that he leaved Nintendo because he didn't do much till now?

I wonder if they will appoint Isao Moriyasu from DeNa?

MsJubilee

@Artwark: Cause the man died (why wouldn't anyone give respect to him?)no one here wanted him to die some people wanted him to leave Nintendo. Losing a job and losing a life are two different things for gods sake.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Bolt_Strike

TwilightAngel wrote:

@Artwark: Cause the man died (why wouldn't anyone give respect to him?)no one here wanted him to die some people wanted him to leave Nintendo. Losing a job and losing a life are two different things for gods sake.

The sad thing is that some people probably did. But yeah, I think most of us agree that he didn't deserve to die the way he did.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Blast

I want a CEO that will wants JRPGS, 3rd party support, a good understanding of what other companies have that Nintendo doesn't, etc. I want a CEO that's passionate and determined and is almost always talking to hardcore Nintendo fans.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

@TylerTheCreator: No one can live forever period.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kyuubikid213

@TwilightAngel: There's a huge difference between saying someone should live forever and saying someone doesn't deserve to die.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

-Green-

Bolt_Strike wrote:

TwilightAngel wrote:

The sad thing is that some people probably did. But yeah, I think most of us agree that he didn't deserve to die the way he did.

Those are usually the group of people who blame Iwata for everything with Nintendo.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

NintendoFan64

Bolt_Strike wrote:

TwilightAngel wrote:

No he didn't. He should've had at least 30-20 years left.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

iKhan

Artwark wrote:

Ok more of a rant.....how is it that you guys now show some respect to Iwata when earlier, you wished that he leaved Nintendo because he didn't do much till now?

I wonder if they will appoint Isao Moriyasu from DeNa?

When he passed, his accomplishments came into the light. People stopped thinking of him as "the guy who made the consoles I dislike" and remembered him as "expert programmer of Balloon Fight and the guy who made Nintendo Directs fun"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.