Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 101 to 120 of 543

Moms-Meowth

Chaoz wrote:

Oh god one of these "Nintendo doomed guys!!11!" thread, not like we haven't already had hundreds of these threads. One lackluster E3 that didn't have many Wii U games doesn't mean the Wii U is dead. There is many Wii U games coming such as Devil Third, Mighty No. 9, Yoshi Wolly World, Rodea the Sky Warrior, Fatal Frame, and ect. There will be plenty of games to play through it it life span. Saying the Wii U is dead is like saying Subway will be dead soon. As @Ralizah said, stop being drama queens already.

I think not only as a fan but as a customer i have every right to be disgruntled.

"Quote Samwise7
@Moms-Meowth Lol, so classy and sarcastic. Love it."

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

I expect the 3DS to get replaced around the same time Wii U does (probs next November), but it'll make a much more successful legacy platform. That graphic includes a few multiplatform 'family games' for Wii U, which aren't really made for handhelds anymore. There's also 'Amiibo Festival' and some dubious-looking 3DS games.

I meant it in this sense....

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer -> Obviously built using New Leaf assets
Zelda Triforce Heroes -> Interesting for sure, but built from A Link Between Worlds
Yokai Watch -> Already out in Japan
Hyrule Warriors -> Quite a lot of work involved for sure, but is it any more than a Wii U port?
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam -> Presumably built from Mario & Lugi which is already on 3DS
Fire Emblem Fates -> Another Fire Emblem. Definitely welcome but still, same story
.... leaving us with Chibi Robo and Metroid

Compare that to the Wii U where it's:
Yoshi's Woolly World - Brand new game
Mario Tennis - Brand new game
StarFox 0 - Might not like the fidelity but it's definitely brand new
Amiibo Festival - Underwhelming? Yes, but brand new
Xenoblade X - Brand new
Super Mario Maker - Well they're pulling stuff from old games but there's still quite a bit that's new
Devil's Third - Brand new
Fatal Frame - Brand New

I don't know, it just kinda seems like they had a lot of 3DS content that was further away than the Wii U stuff and not that new. With the Wii U stuff it was disappointing because we already knew all about it but it was all stuff that was entirely new and on the immediate horizon. Kinda makes me wonder what 2016 will actually be like.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

shaneoh wrote:

They've still got that robot boxing prototype game that they showed off last year, we don't know what is happening with that, could easily be released over the next year.

I think that one got cancelled. It was scheduled for a Q1/Q2 release, even in the fiscal year report in March. Here we are, June 17, still no word on Project Giant Robot. However they confirmed yesterday that Project Guard is co-developed by Platinum Games and is still in the works. Again, no word on Project Giant Robot.

Octane

martinskrtel37

terrible and confusing op - we knew we'd know most of the games discussed, what did you really expect to happen?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Smoo

Quick question. Are there any more presentations today at e3 that might display a surprise game for us?

Smoo

erv

I'm not on the doomed bandwagon, though I sure think it's funny, and yeah this was a practically no-content e3, which sucks.

Still some great games up and coming, just no new surprises so it's stretched rather thin. The wiiU has a great library in quality though so I'm not complaining on that front, it's just low on quantity but I like this better than the petz: horsiez edition quantity of the wii days.

I do think nintendo is allocating a lot of resources to the next big thing though - it's kind of obvious they do - and probably, we'll see some form of unison with a year or two, perhaps sooner. I still think this zelda is going to be a twilight princess type dual release. Worked for them before, they'll do it again.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

I just realised that we still don't know what Retro is making. And what is likely their twitter account has been trolling people for the last few months.......

Edited on by skywake

19Robb92

Nah, I think they're just having trouble making games for both the WiiU and 3DS at the same time. The 3DS was obviously their focus.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

PearShapedEgg

Interesting story... I live in Melbourne, Australia....and I woke up at 2am to watch the direct. at about 4am I fell asleep and immediately experienced a nightmare... Upon waking, I could only come to the conclusion that time was indeed, folding back upon itself.. uhh.. who am I kidding..

Games are great, but in the scheme of things, there are FAR more pressing issues in this world than whether or not your favourite game developer jumped-the-shark...or somehow managed to keep their pants on @ the E3 presser, etc....

Still, I own a new 3DS...and I absolutely ADORE it.....but i've been in the market for 'A' home gaming system since my PC died late last year. It's not that I don't want anything Nintendo, it's just that they gave me no reason to buy into their dying ecosystem. I want a wii u, but Nintendo simply don't want to sell me one..

I feel REAL bad for early adopters, Zelda and Metroid diehards who bought in from day dot....This E3 was basically a big "F-you!!!" to those people. I had but 3 games on my list of which 'just' 2 announcements this e3 would've made for an adequate show imo...and an AUTO purchase.

Metroid Prime.
An ambitious 3D Mario ala Galaxy/Sunshine/64
Paper Mario RPG

That's it...that an a proper Animal Crossing. That's ALL Nintendo has to do to deliver an 'adequate' home console experience, and apparently even this is beyond them. To my reckoning, it ain't the fault of early adopters that Nintendo are doing their best to alienate their fans... I FEEL for wii u owners...you're paying the price for Nintendo's mistakes right now... This presser was a massive slap in the face to the diehards who've kept Nintendo afloat in the past couple of years buying hoarding their amiibos and swallowing their hyperbole...They aren't capable of meeting my base expectations right now..

Nintendo are just out of touch with what people think...they are living in a bubble...willfully oblivious to what's going on around them.. I still LOVE them, they continue to make great games, and I certainly do not want to see them fail going forward..

But confidence = 0 right now....

Edited on by PearShapedEgg

PearShapedEgg

shaneoh

Octane wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

They've still got that robot boxing prototype game that they showed off last year, we don't know what is happening with that, could easily be released over the next year.

I think that one got cancelled. It was scheduled for a Q1/Q2 release, even in the fiscal year report in March. Here we are, June 17, still no word on Project Giant Robot. However they confirmed yesterday that Project Guard is co-developed by Platinum Games and is still in the works. Again, no word on Project Giant Robot.

Yes I agree that's possible, but it's only been a year since it was first shown, we've been waiting on Yarn Yoshi for 2 1/2 years, so I'd say it's still a possible release.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

shaneoh

PearShapedEgg wrote:

I feel REAL bad for early adopters, Zelda and Metroid diehards who bought in from day dot....This E3 was basically a big "F-you!!!" to those people. I had but 3 games on my list of which 'just' 2 announcements this e3 would've made for an adequate show imo...and an AUTO purchase.

Don't, there have been plenty of quality games since day one, and plenty released since.

skywake

shaneoh wrote:

PearShapedEgg wrote:

Don't, there have been plenty of quality games since day one, and plenty released since.

I wouldn't say "since day 1" but still, definitely this. I wouldn't feel sorry for the people who have a Wii U. Just to quickly count the number of games I've got for the last four Nintendo platforms for a second here.....

DS: 18
Wii: 33
3DS: 15 with maybe 2 I'm interested in on the horizon
Wii U: 18 with a good 6 or so I'm interested in on the horizon

Can't complain. Especially if the extreme pessimists are wrong and the known titles for the Wii U aren't the entire extent of all the releases it'll ever get. And I suspect that they are wrong.

Edited on by skywake

veeflames

Haru17 wrote:

UTXGamer wrote:

I might be wrong, but I believe Nintendo went into this Digital Event saying it was going to focus on games coming out this year, so it wasn't much of a surprise that nothing big in 2016 was announced.

That might have been a solid theory if they were all for 2015, but you also have Jan-May 2016 titles as well. Mark my words; these are the last games coming to this generation of Nintendo platforms.

It definitely seems like they are winding down the Wii U. To be honest, I kind of hope they are moving more of the development resources and games to the new system. I'm not expecting anything big on the Wii U for 2016 beyond Zelda. I think they'll have some smaller games here and there and we'll likely see some HD remasters. I have a hard time believing they will be able to support 3 consoles given the issues they are having providing support to 2 consoles.

Pretty much. The currently announced games all come out by August 2016 or so, then E3 or an earlier conference gears us all up for the NX in November and new games. Namely the big games that were missing from today's show.

Yes... you know that Nintendo is indeed making an F-Zero, 3D Mario and the likes, and they've switched everything to the NX. How did you infiltrate Nintendo, anyway? -_-

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

skywake

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Yes... you know that Nintendo is indeed making an F-Zero, 3D Mario and the likes, and they've switched everything to the NX. How did you infiltrate Nintendo, anyway? -_-

We should dig into previous "years before hardware unveiling" E3s and see if there are any hints. Just quickly diving into the before-3DS E3 in 2009 it wasn't that different from this year's E3 for Nintendo. In 2009 it was at the time considered a "good" E3 for Nintendo these games were announced:

DS

• Mario & Luigi (2009)
  • WarioWare D.I.Y. (2009)
  • Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009)
  • Golden Sun (2010)

Wii:

• New Super Mario Bros Wii (2009)
  • Wii Sports Resort (2009)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
  • Metroid Other M (2010)
  • Zelda Skyward Sword (2011, an image, behind closed doors, there was speculation it'd be for the "Wii HD")

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

Yeah that's what I got out of it yesterday. I don't think the successor will be out until 2017, but its obvious they're winding down. Zelda U is going to be their last major Wii U game.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

shaneoh

skywake wrote:

Wii U: 18 with a good 6 or so I'm interested in on the horizon

Erm 32 on my end.... and that's just physical, with 6 more coming out between now and the end of the year that I should find enjoyable. And I still need to get Kirby. Then there are the LEGO games which I've bought on PC already, and so won't get them on Wii U. I won't even count the Wii & 3/DS

One benefit of not drinking alcohol, more money for games

Edited on by shaneoh

WebHead

Have a feeling 2016/17 for Wii u will be like 2011/12 was for Wii.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

arnoldlayne83

I would say:

• E3 2016 NX console unveiled
  • Holidays 2016 NX on the market bundled with ZeldaNX, ZeldaU available at the same time for WiiU.

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

VoodooTrumpet

The Wii U is dead. Selling mine on eBay atm and will pick up a PS4. Maybe I'll pick up the successor to the 3DS but I'll never get a Nintendo home console again after the last 10 years of f*ck-uppery.

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

-Green-

VoodooTrumpet wrote:

The Wii U is dead. Selling mine on eBay atm and will pick up a PS4. Maybe I'll pick up the successor to the 3DS but I'll never get a Nintendo home console again after the last 10 years of f*ck-uppery.

Okay

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.