Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 121 to 140 of 543

rallydefault

Like others have said, where is the next Mario 64 or Galaxy? It sure as heck wasn't 3D World (and I loved that game, too - but it's really just a 3D Super Mario Brothers string of levels... not an "adventure" game). What about Zelda? Holy cow. It's been so long. What gives? And Metroid? And Star Fox is coming, but in the Wii U's closing hours...

I mean, yea, everybody wants to say, "Well they just don't want to do the same things over and over!" Look, sometimes you just WANT (maybe NEED) a new adventure game to sink your teeth into, regardless of whether or not most of it was done before. Like take Uncharted 4... it looks pretty much the "same" as the other Uncharted games, but you can bet it's gonna be awesome and sell millions, and Naughty Dog/Sony didn't decide to make it a party/board game just because "it's been done before." (Side note - could you imagine the reaction that would have gotten?) They know what their fans like and they listened... I honestly don't know if Nintendo is really listening anymore.

I've been with Nintendo since day 1, man. 3 years old, trying my best to not immediately die in Kid Icarus on the NES. I love Nintendo. I'll always have the memories they created for me (and us). But they're a different company now. Things have changed, and I just don't think they're close to finding their way back yet. Maybe the NX will completely flip the table and amaze everyone, who knows? But it is clear that the Wii U just didn't make it, and these last sputters of life will have us tumbling directly into 2016 and a crazy world of unknowns when it comes to this company...

rallydefault

ZurrrrBlattTron

Now since I'm working and actually making good money I reallllllly wanted to go out after E3 and buy a 3DS or Wii U, now I'm on the edge I might buy a 3DS but I won't be happy about five months from now where they announce the NX and I'll pretty much feel like a idiot cause the only real game I'll be playing will be super smash bros this sucks

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

erv

Lol the wii U is the only console which has been so great to me since launch. Never before have I been able to play that many high quality games so early in a consoles' life. You don't buy a console for its prospects, but mainly for the games you'd want to play. Wii U is a great, great purchase.

This e3 sucked, no doubt, but that doesn't make either console worthless. There's so much absolutely great stuff to play, with such variety among them, it's hard to beat for any competitor if you ask me. Not that other systems don't have games I want to play, Nintendo just has most of them.

But yeah. This e3 sucked real bad, no doubt. And nothing is looking quite like I'd want it. Even star fox or anything.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

iKhan

erv wrote:

Lol the wii U is the only console which has been so great to me since launch. Never before have I been able to play that many high quality games so early in a consoles' life. You don't buy a console for its prospects, but mainly for the games you'd want to play. Wii U is a great, great purchase.

The Wii? Gamecube?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jariw

Whitewatermoose wrote:

It is the end of Wii U. That is not in dispute.

Based on what? Iwata and Trinen said they'll focus on upcoming 2015 and early 2016 games at E3. People get upset that they focus on upcoming 2015 and early 2016 games.

jariw

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Like others have said, where is the next Mario 64 or Galaxy? It sure as heck wasn't 3D World (and I loved that game, too - but it's really just a 3D Super Mario Brothers string of levels... not an "adventure" game). What about Zelda? Holy cow. It's been so long. What gives? And Metroid? And Star Fox is coming, but in the Wii U's closing hours...

At the end of this year it will have been five years since the last main series home-console Zelda. If it had launched then it'd be the same length of time there was between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, one year less than the gap between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. About standard for a modern Zelda expecially given that this one is also the first HD Zelda. But in terms of precident it'd have to launch in 2017 for it to be as a long a gap as there was between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. And Metroid, damn, the Gamecube generation got used to the idea that Metroid is a "yearly release" game. Metroid Prime was the 4th Metroid. 4. Since 1986.

And complaining about Starfox existing because it's "too late". Damn, complain much do we? Complain that games aren't there because you're missing out. Then complain when games ARE there because it's being released on a "dead platform". Damn guys, make up your mind. Next we'll have people complaining about Mario Maker because it looks like too much fun.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

veeflames

I can't help but feel sorry for Next Level Games, Camelot and Nintendo(especially Aonuma). SMH(and no, this doesn't mean 'shaking my head.')

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

erv

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

I can't help but feel sorry for Next Level Games, Camelot and Nintendo(especially Aonuma). SMH(and no, this doesn't mean 'shaking my head.')

I don't. The lineup is good, but there are no quality surprises. Good games, yep, but nothing added to the list we already knew about that is somewhat worth mentioning.

I'm still a happy wii u owner with lots to play, but well, this e3 sucked.

Mario maker, yoshi, xenoblade are all looking awesome though.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

bluedogrulez

I thought it was ironic to see this topic yesterday and then to turn on my Wii U that night to find two more weapons added to the Splatoon arsenal. No, the Wii U is not dead; no Nintendo is NOT writing it off. If you think about the console lineup Nintendo BY ITSELF has put out, they are carrying the Wii U on its back like LeBron James carried the Cavs. Okay, they lost, but I'm sure I'm communicating my point. Looking forward to playing more Splatoon tonight, possibly interspersed some MK8 stages released less than 2 months ago for peanuts, or a slew of Humble Bumble games I got for next to nothing, or the free trial version of RIVE on this system.

Edited on by bluedogrulez

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

skywake

Whitewatermoose wrote:

For Wii U, they should have money hatted MGS V, Blops 3, transformers, something. Spend the darn money for the port. It would have gone over SO much better for the audience, and I think most people would have understood the realities of the situation.

See I don't agree. Nobody would have cared about ports of games that other platforms were already getting. Especially not CoD outside of a small group of people who actually got that game on Wii U. No what they "needed to do" was to drop at least one new big exclusive title. Even just a slide that had the name of one big 2016 title. Instead the biggest Wii U announcement was Mario Tennis......

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

erv wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

I don't. The lineup is good, but there are no quality surprises. Good games, yep, but nothing added to the list we already knew about that is somewhat worth mentioning.

I'm still a happy wii u owner with lots to play, but well, this e3 sucked.

Mario maker, yoshi, xenoblade are all looking awesome though.

Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Metroid: Federation Force, Animal Crossing: House Arrest, and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival don't look very fun to me. In fact, if you ask me, they all look like downloadable titles. I'm scratching my head as to how they are retail releases.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Peach64

I think this Eurogamer pretty much confirms that the NX very much IS a Wii U replacement.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metr...

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe said that due to the amount of content such a game would require, it would probably take several years to develop.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

"It's a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side."

Peach64

MsJubilee

Guess alot of people like myself is right, the Wiiu is dead after this year. Nintendo is not wasting any more money on it, and they're focusing on the NX and yes it is a console. Well that sucks

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

LazerPan

The Wii U is done. An entire E3 presentation with no new home console game from Nintendo should be alarming.

We won't see a new home console game from Nintendo before 2017 when NX is released.

LazerPan

iKhan

Peach64 wrote:

I think this Eurogamer pretty much confirms that the NX very much IS a Wii U replacement.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metr...

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe said that due to the amount of content such a game would require, it would probably take several years to develop.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

"It's a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side."

Wow, Nintendo is genuinely out of the loop if they haven't started a real Metroid game yet.

Jacob717

Okay, so now we have official conformation that the NX is indeed a console. I still think the release date will be 2017, because they usually release their consoles a year and a half after they show it off, and it will be shown off in 2016.

Jacob717

Eel

Assuming he is involved in the development of the NX and can confirm anything.

Anyway... By console, we mean handheld or home?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I expect the 3DS to get replaced around the same time Wii U does (probs next November), but it'll make a much more successful legacy platform. That graphic includes a few multiplatform 'family games' for Wii U, which aren't really made for handhelds anymore. There's also 'Amiibo Festival' and some dubious-looking 3DS games.

I meant it in this sense....

I don't know, it just kinda seems like they had a lot of 3DS content that was further away than the Wii U stuff and not that new. With the Wii U stuff it was disappointing because we already knew all about it but it was all stuff that was entirely new and on the immediate horizon. Kinda makes me wonder what 2016 will actually be like.

Dude, I can do the exact same thing in opposite:

Compare that to the Wii U where it's:
Yoshi's Woolly World - Built from Kirby's Epic Yarn
Mario Tennis - Brand new spartz game
StarFox 0 - Built from Star Fox 64, Hyrule Warriors' environmental artist
Amiibo Festival - Brand new crap game
Xenoblade X - Definitely built from XC Wii
Super Mario Maker - Mod pack
Devil's Third - Brand new jank
Fatal Frame - Brand new spooky jank

See how easy it is to write things off because "I like X platform, not X platform." Not that I don't think you shouldn't write off ones that don't suit your personal taste, but there are clearly dubious games coming to both systems.

For me the games I'm interested in are Mario & Luigi definitely, Tennis if it's really good and I have coop buddies, FE if I have time, and Yo Kai if it looks good near release... maybe Star Fox if it has a good coop or good story mode.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

HollywoodHogan

jariw wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

It is the end of Wii U. That is not in dispute.

Based on what? Iwata and Trinen said they'll focus on upcoming 2015 and early 2016 games at E3. People get upset that they focus on upcoming 2015 and early 2016 games.

Nintendo has been showing off or talking about many of these 2015/2016 titles since E3 2012. It's a joke.

The Wii U is on the way out. It's not even debatable at this point.

Friend to all SJW's

Haru17

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Yes... you know that Nintendo is indeed making an F-Zero, 3D Mario and the likes, and they've switched everything to the NX. How did you infiltrate Nintendo, anyway? -_-

Lol, I don't need to sneak into Nintendo to know that they're probably not making F-Zero. What anyone who purports to know this industry should know is that Retro, the 3D Mario EAD team, and Intelligent Systems; all the devs that didn't show this E3, aren't just sitting, doing nothing; they are making a game. How long do you expect them to wait to announce it? Nintendo game announcements typically come 1-2+ years before release, so 2016 E3 + 2 years = 2018, do you really expect Wii U games not from Kickstarter to keep coming out in 2018? Maybe the odd Activision party or rhythm game, but that's just the same treatment the Wii got these last few years.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.