Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 22,021 to 22,040 of 27,917

Blast

I really hope a reasonably priced DLC pack happens because I'm hesitant to buy characters but I want the roster complete.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Tsuchinoko

Blast wrote:

I really hope a reasonably priced DLC pack happens because I'm hesitant to buy characters but I want the roster complete.

If a pack happens it won't be until much, much later since they are being released individually with huge gaps between them.

And come on, the character DLC is cheap for how much work they put into these characters. For less than the price of a combo at McDonald's you can add a new character to the roster.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

UGXwolf

@Tsuchinoko That's generally the point of the main branches, isn't it? To keep their consumers updated? (And to handle shipping and all other things in other countries, of course.) Besides that, this makes sense. Telling the American gamers that any choice they make is elligible, when in truth (much like American elections) there's probably only a small group that even stand a chance.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Faruko

Ryu Hayabusa deserves far more than even some nintendo characters

And having 4-2 as stage song would be so awesome

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

kkslider5552000

I know that list is a lie because I know not enough people played Wonderful 101 for Wonder Red to be that high (also Chibi Robo before Golden Sun or another popular series representative)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Jazzer94

Tsuchinoko wrote:

http://concore.tumblr.com/post/115495712981/smash-bros-fighte...

This has been going around on tumblr. Nice to have it compiled. Pass it around!

If this is accurate? (doubt it is) I'm worried as there are some very questionable (almost terrible) choices like Harmoknight, Fossil Hunter (like really? Fossil Hunter???), Mallo (love him but seriously he hasn't earned a place in Smash) and Geno (love the game but I swear the Geno fanbase is a bit of a weird one or getting there). The third party choices are a lot better choices.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

DreamyViridi

Wow, there's Advance Wars representation on that list. Precisely because of that, I feel this list is partly made up.
Not to mention "Series success and contribution to Nintendo's history", which by that logic, the Inkling ranked high from popularity alone.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Tsuchinoko

DreamyViridi wrote:

Wow, there's Advance Wars representation on that list. Precisely because of that, I feel this list is partly made up.
Not to mention "Series success and contribution to Nintendo's history", which by that logic, the Inkling ranked high from popularity alone.

Well, it hasn't even been 72 hours since the direct, so its difficult to say how people feel about there characters really. People might be voting based on what they hear about certain games rather than their actual experience with them. With nearly all of Nintendos major franchises already having representation people are digging around to see what characters Nintendo has been neglecting.

And there might be genuine 101 fans out there voting and those votes are getting lumped together with those votes from people who never played the game but like the appearance of the character.

DreamyViridi

Tsuchinoko wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

Well, it hasn't even been 72 hours since the direct, so its difficult to say how people feel about there characters really. People might be voting based on what they hear about certain games rather than their actual experience with them. With nearly all of Nintendos major franchises already having representation people are digging around to see what characters Nintendo has been neglecting.

And there might be genuine 101 fans out there voting and those votes are getting lumped together with those votes from people who never played the game but like the appearance of the character.

I'm just surprised seeing Andy since he's a choice I'm considering. Advance Wars is a series that lacks any representation in Smash 4 and since IS owns the series right now, he could be along side the Fire Emblem group..

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Retro_on_theGo

Lmao, Hawlucha?! He was actually the only other Pokemon I thought would fit Smash other than Greninja. I'm surprised he has any votes though. I would love Hawlucha!

Glad to see Mallo love but don't know how true that is.

Everything else seems about right. I've seen King K. Rool and Isaac getting massive love across the internet. I'm positive we're gonna get Rool eventually. Wish Bayonetta got more votes.

Tsuchinoko

DreamyViridi wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

I'm just surprised seeing Andy since he's a choice I'm considering. Advance Wars is a series that lacks any representation in Smash 4 and since IS owns the series right now, he could be along side the Fire Emblem group..

Doesn't Advance Wars, or the Famicom Wars series as a whole, have representation as an Assist?

@retro_on_the_go Yeah, for brand new first party newcomers, K. Rool and Issac have been getting consistant high votes, and the Inklings of course.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

DreamyViridi

@Tsuchinoko - It does, that and an actual trophy (which has an inaccurate description of where the sprite comes from). That's it though...

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Mario Maker Levels

Nintendo6400

I'm not sure why so many people are voting inkling. sure the designs are cool, but splatoon hasn't even been released yet. It could still bomb.

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

ItsFuzzyPickles

UGXwolf wrote:

Secondly, I think@astarisborn94 makes a lot of really great arguments, but skipped a few key points. 1) Shovel Knight has been a popular request even before the ballot was announced. While he likely won't even make the top 10 on the ballot, I don't think he's anywhere near being a mere bandwagon vote. 2) Banjo has a history with Nintendo, even if he's owned by Microsoft. So long as Microsoft doesn't try to extort Nintendo for his inclusion, he's probably the most likely 3rd Party character. 3) Sakurai has stated that even getting Pikachu into Smash is a nightmare, so I don't think Roy is as much of a sure thing as you suggest. 4) Ice Climbers should not be ruled out, though they shouldn't be considered in terms of the ballot. Odds are, if Sora and Namco can get them to work on the 3DS, they will be added without the need for a ballot. 5) How does seeing Ridley as a better boss character than a playable one make Sakurai a bigot? Ridley makes a wonderful boss character. I don't see how making him olayable changes anything other than him becoming less fearsome.

1) At best you could say he was popular after being Smashified but of course that's going to get attention if X character becomes Smashified.
2) I doubt Nintendo and Sakurai cares if a third-party has a big history with Nintendo. That didn't stop Nintendo from adding Snake and Sakurai has never said anything about a character having a significant history with Nintendo; he just said they had to appear on Nintendo console. Also licensing issues are a thing and imagine how bad they might be when trying to get a character owned by a rival console manufacturer who still uses them on Microsoft consoles. So much can go wrong and Nintendo would have to pay out the *** to get a Microsoft character in Smash.
3) Never said Roy was anywhere close to a sure thing. Also it's worth noting that Game Freak is a second-party company that is known for being very controlling of their IPs so their situation can't be compared to that of Intelligent System.
4) Sakurai and Namco Bandai did everything they can to get them working on the 3DS version and they still couldn't get them to work. They're not showing up unless they're a New 3DS and Wii U exclusive.
5) Because the Wii U stage hazard completely undermines Ridley's character. It shows him as a sort of a pinata that ends up helping the other side, which is completely out of character for Ridley. He's known for striking when unexpected and unleashing terror upon those who dare cross his path (there's a reason why Samus absolutely loathes Ridley aside from the fact Ridley killed her parents) as well being the leader of the fearsome Space Pirates. The stage hazard is a disrespect of one of the most terrifying villains in Nintendo's history.

Oh and he said Ridley was too big here, which is insanity considering how contradictory this logic is. This is the same man that can make Olimar taller than Kirby and he thinks Ridley can't be shrunk down.

Tsuchinoko wrote:

If Nintendo even listens to the third party and indie votes, they might just end up as trophies, but I feel like many voters would be happy with that.

I just wish people could take this whole thing seriously. Many people complain about how companies handle DLC, but Nintendo has done very well to avoid a lot of the bad things other companies do, and they're letting fans vote on character DLC, which is huge.

To be fair, costumes are overpriced. There no way I could justify spending $6 to buy costumes I probably won't ever use and it's not like I need any of them either. Unless there's going to be a Season Pass announced that provides a discount on buying DLC, I'm not going to buy any costumes provided. Plus I have a bad feelings that if (more like when) it is successful, Nintendo may use this opportunity to take advantage of their fans with future games. Character DLC so far looks decent in price thought; definitely going to get at least those.

Tsuchinoko wrote:

http://concore.tumblr.com/post/115495712981/smash-bros-fighte...

This has been going around on tumblr. Nice to have it compiled. Pass it around!

Keep in mind this is an unofficial list, but it is still nice to see King K. Rool on top. If he gets first place, he'll have a good shot of being DLC.

Nintendo6400 wrote:

I'm not sure why so many people are voting inkling. sure the designs are cool, but splatoon hasn't even been released yet. It could still bomb.

This is why I'm hesitant to call Inkling likely yet. The game hasn't even come out and there's no telling how it will fare critically and commercially. I don't think Nintendo would choose them if they received relatively tepid response. All we can do is wait and see.

Edited on by ItsFuzzyPickles

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

I think Splatoon will do well critically, with a couple sites possibly knocking it for the lack of voice chat (coughGamespotcough). Within context of the Wii U's install base, I think Splatoon has enough hype around it to do well enough to be considered for Smash. Inkling will be included at some point - if not as Smash 4 DLC, then certainly in Smash NX.

In any case, K Rool seems to be the most likely fighter to come out of the ballot, assuming we only get one fighter from it. There's definitely the possibility for more, but it's likely in our best interest to expect only one.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

IceClimbers wrote:

I think Splatoon will do well critically, with a couple sites possibly knocking it for the lack of voice chat (coughGamespotcough). Within context of the Wii U's install base, I think Splatoon has enough hype around it to do well enough to be considered for Smash. Inkling will be included at some point - if not as Smash 4 DLC, then certainly in Smash NX.

In any case, K Rool seems to be the most likely fighter to come out of the ballot, assuming we only get one fighter from it. There's definitely the possibility for more, but it's likely in our best interest to expect only one.

You also have the situation of new releases being very spread out pre-Q4. For the US we know nothing that's coming out between Splatoon and Mario Maker. Hence until at least E3 searching for a new Wii U game between those 2 releases would look like trying to find water in a desert so you'd be much more likely to pickup Splatoon which would be the equivalent of an oasis.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tsuchinoko

The hype for Splatoon has been high ever since its first reveal. Inkling making it in to Smash would be a good showing that Nintendo has pride in their in-house developed new franchises.

I'm still not sure how I'd feel about K. Rool. I hate his character design and he always seemed like the lame version of Bowser, but he is still somewhat iconic. There's potential for an interesting moveset an alts.

@astarisborn94 I have not thought about the costume DLC one bit since the Direct. My mind has been focused on the Mewtwo and Lucas DLC. The price for Mewtwo seems totally reasonable, so thats where I was going with that. Lucas' price hasn't been revealed yet, so either its going to be the same and they just didn't put his info up yet, or he might come with extras and be a bit more (New Pork City would be perfect for 8-player Smash).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic