Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 22,001 to 22,020 of 27,917

Nintendo6400

NintyMan wrote:

According to the wording of this Facebook post, Nintendo might only consider Nintendo characters.

"Okay, here it goes... which Nintendo character do you want in Super Smash Bros.? Submit your choice at the official site..."

So much for Banjo-Kazooie or Shovel Knight!

https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/posts/416170928556593

I'm fine with this!

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

NintendoFan64

Tsuchinoko wrote:

There's still Nintendo franchises with barely any representation.

You're right. It'd be nice to see a character from a series that never got a character into Smash Bros. Someone like Isaac, or Marshal, or (and I know it's not gonna happen) Mike Jones.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Undead_terror

So it seems that mii costumes is the least desired DLC, makes since since you can't play with strangers with them, however that could be fixed by adding people to your friends list, I'm personally excited for the costumes since sometimes I would play with mii's with friends, with the upcoming DLC I can think of making a few characters I wouldn't mind fooling around with.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

Knux

Now all we need is Wolf and Captain Toad!

Knux

TuVictus

I hope the internet doesn't waste this character spot on a character we've had before. I'd much rather have a completely new and unique person. Ridley and K rool would be great for example.

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

This game is trolling me, whenever I get to stage 5 of All-Star mode now it only chooses Yoshi's Woolly World. The 3 month wait is painful enough as it is!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoFan64

Operative wrote:

I hope the internet doesn't waste this character spot on a character we've had before. I'd much rather have a completely new and unique person. Ridley and K rool would be great for example.

I doubt Ridley would show up since he's already a boss. King K Rool would be cool, though.

Undead_terror wrote:

Untitled
Choice Provisions posted this.

Doubt it, but then again, Commander Video already has a trophy, so who knows.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Inkling wrote:

I think the DLC characters will all be clones, excluding the ballot winner and Mewtwo. I mean, we have Lucas and people are begging for Wolf and Roy.

Lucas is not a clone of Ness, neither is Wolf a clone of Fox; they're just easy to make because they were previously playable in Brawl (same with Mewtwo from Melee). Roy I will give you but he'll be the only clone if he were to be added. Also keep in mind that the ballot winner won't necessarily be added; someone like Goku, Sherk, or Banjo & Kazooie won't be considered, but I do believe we're getting at least one true unique newcomer as DLC (it would be bad PR if it was just veterans).

Tsuchinoko wrote:

cookiex wrote:

I never understood why Ganondorf is a C. Falcon clone. With Falco and Lucina I can see them being clones making sense, but why Ganondorf? 90% of his moveset isn't even in any of the Zelda games, where he's more of a sorcerer/swordsman than a brawler. Hyrule Warriors is closer to what he really should be like.

Two games later and he's stayed the same, though I do like his final smash.

So, just as a group, lets discuss the current pool of characters that keep appearing in the tops of these polls.

-Issac
-K. Rool
-Wolf
-Snake
-Inkling

And yes, there has been a huge push for Shovel Knight, apparently from the Reddit crowd. Bayonetta, Rayman and Dixie Kong are up there sometimes.

Its, diverse to say the least.

Shovel Knight is a bandwagon character that will fall relatively quickly. He is definitely not the most wanted newcomer by any stretch of imagination.

I am estimating that we'll get somewhere between four to six DLC characters, Mewtwo and Lucas included. I believe that Wolf is in development right now and will probably be shown off at E3 alongside Star Fox Wii U, which leaves one to three more characters left. I am confident we will see at least one unique newcomer added as DLC and we may also get another veteran back as well as potentially a second unique newcomer.

King K. Rool is in a really good position. He is the most wanted DLC character at the moment and I also find it suspicious that Donkey Kong Rareware games are being re-released in such short intervals (and that fact DK64 got re-released at all, even if Scar did provide an easy explanation for why Jetpac stayed). Along with Retro providing support towards King K. Rool returning, this makes me think that K. Rool is being prepped up for a big revival; whenever that is in a mainstream Donkey Kong game, appearing as playable DLC, or even both. I feel as if there were to be only one more character after Wolf, it would be him, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

The veteran after Wolf would be either Snake or Roy as they are the only ones with notable amount of support, but this is far from guaranteed. Snake is higher in demand than Roy and Konami has shown support for Snake's return, which is really nice. However, Kojima leaving the company closes in outlet for Snake to return and ultimately, the decision is left up to Nintendo on whenever or not Snake will return. Unfortunately, Nintendo is bad at third-party relationships and Konami does have bad blood towards Nintendo. So even if Sakurai does approach Konami, Nintendo may end up screwing the opportunity to return Snake. Nintendo's facebook page also emphasizing on Nintendo characters also hurts his chances of returning.

Roy is obviously easier to deal with in regards to legal issues since Fire Emblem was made by Intelligent System, a first
party company. He was also an extremely popular Melee veteran who starred in the critically acclaimed Fire Emblem 6 and he's highly wanted to return. Also being a clone in Melee makes him relatively easy to make; note how Lucas and Mewtwo are mostly the same. The main issue is that he would be another Marth clone and even I think Sakurai would be hesitant to add a second Marth clone when we already have one. He's going to need really strong demand worldwide for him to return, which is actually plausible.

Isaac is the protagonist of the Golden Sun series and has been highly requested ever since shortly after Melee got released. He's one of the few significant franchise left that has yet to get a playable character and he's currently the second most wanted newcomer character after King K. Rool and probably one of two new IPs that could get in as DLC. The main issue is that King K. Rool will take precedence over Isaac as DLC newcomer if we go by popularity so his only chance would be to make it as a second true newcomer, which by itself is definitely not guaranteed. It's worth noting this is his last chance to get into a Smash game, barring a Golden Sun 3DS announcement, so anyone that wants him in should think about pushing him now and pushing hard. The problem is, while Isaac is still highly requested, he has gone down over the years which only brings his chances down.

Inklings I can't comment on since I know little about Splatoon and have zero interest in them. I do expect their popularity to rise should Splatoon be a success so they could have a real shot of being a newcomer if they are highly requested enough.

All that said, my personal predictions:
Four DLC characters: Mewtwo, Wolf, Lucas, King K. Rool
Five DLC characters: Mewtwo, Wolf, Lucas, King K. Rool, Roy
Six DLC characters: Mewtwo, Wolf, Lucas, King K. Rool, Roy, Inkling

The funny part will be how wrong I am with the remaining DLC characters. So far I only guessed Lucas right (I actually had given up on Mewtwo before his confirmation).

Operative wrote:

Votes for Wolf probably won't count. I am 99% sure Sakurai and Nintendo are working on him right now; they're just not saying anything because he will probably be confirmed at E3. Also you have to take into account that developing new characters is very taxing, which Sakurai has emphasized multiple times throughout the development of SSB 3DS & Wii U and they've even said there will not be many DLC characters. Veterans help out with adding DLC characters because they have something to work with due to previously being playable as such doesn't take up as much time as a newcomer would. If we were just getting DLC newcomers, we would be lucky to get three overall, but because veterans can be added back as DLC, more characters can be made DLC. I will be genuinely surprised if we got more than two unique newcomers as DLC.

Ridley will sadly never be playable in a Sakurai-directed game due to Sakurai's being a too bigot. People who want him in should still vote for him thought as if he is highly demanded enough, someone else who takes over from Sakurai (I'm betting Smash 6 gets a new director) may look at the poll results and consider Ridley for Smash 6. This poll will not just be used for DLC characters for this game and people shouldn't forget that.

Edited on by ItsFuzzyPickles

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

Rexcalibr

Operative wrote:

Exactly what I've been trying to say but we more than likely will get someone we've already had before because people are, for the most part, voting for characters that have been in Brawl in Melee. It makes me less excited about this entire thing.

Rexcalibr

CapeSmash

I don't really want any newcomers as DLC. Save the newcomers for Smash 5.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

UGXwolf

I feel like you guys are somewhat missing the point in assuming that only the top character will get in. The ballot is less a cote and more a poll. The only thing we can be reasonably certain of is the fact that Sakurai will add characters from the high end of the poll, as there needs to be high demand to make the effort and resources worth it.

Secondly, I think@astarisborn94 makes a lot of really great arguments, but skipped a few key points. 1) Shovel Knight has been a popular request even before the ballot was announced. While he likely won't even make the top 10 on the ballot, I don't think he's anywhere near being a mere bandwagon vote. 2) Banjo has a history with Nintendo, even if he's owned by Microsoft. So long as Microsoft doesn't try to extort Nintendo for his inclusion, he's probably the most likely 3rd Party character. 3) Sakurai has stated that even getting Pikachu into Smash is a nightmare, so I don't think Roy is as much of a sure thing as you suggest. 4) Ice Climbers should not be ruled out, though they shouldn't be considered in terms of the ballot. Odds are, if Sora and Namco can get them to work on the 3DS, they will be added without the need for a ballot. 5) How does seeing Ridley as a better boss character than a playable one make Sakurai a bigot? Ridley makes a wonderful boss character. I don't see how making him olayable changes anything other than him becoming less fearsome.

But back to my first point, you guys can stop worrying about who the net is voting for mist because they'll likely decide from anyone with a certain number of votes or out of this number of top choices. How else would we stop Goku and Shrek from getting in?

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Tsuchinoko

@astarisborn94 I'm honestly curious how many we will get after Mewtwo and Lucas. I'm so happy with those two after the double trailer reveals. We probably won't get more than one, maybe two full newcomers, and that might really be what the ballot is for. Just like Lucas they might already have decided what cut veterans they are bringing back. As much as I would love Snake to come back (there's nostalgia and a personal reason for this), his return is complicated. Likewise Pichu and Roy (as well as Ivysaur and Squirtle) might not even be considered since Pokemon and Fire Emblem have high representation already. Young Link has already been replaced with Toon Link. That really just leaves Wolf (and Ice Climbers if they can get them to work, I wouldn't mind them being WiiU exclusive either).

For newcomers I have no idea. I'd like a DK character to join, but after that...

I've never played Golden Sun but the argument for Issac is compelling. The Inklings are an interesting option as the new experimental IP.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

DreamyViridi

I get the feeling we'll be getting an unexpected character(s) out of this ballot. Imagine that throughout all the generic votes, they'll see a bunch for a particular Nintendo character and the reasons to why they should be in and warm up to that. It won't but I laugh if something like that happens in the end; after all, it's not a popularity contest. ...Is it?

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

NintendoFan64

DreamyViridi wrote:

I get the feeling we'll be getting an unexpected character(s) out of this ballot. Imagine that throughout all the generic votes, they'll see a bunch for a particular Nintendo character and the reasons to why they should be in and warm up to that. It won't but I laugh if something like that happens in the end; after all, it's not a popularity contest. ...Is it?

So there's a chance!
Untitled

CapeSmash

Indie characters are just as likely as Shrek and Goku getting in IMO.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Pootypie

CapeSmash wrote:

Indie characters are just as likely as Shrek and Goku getting in IMO.

Imagine if Shrek actually gets into the game xD

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

bluemage1989

Would be cool if they added a few surprise assist trophies in any dlc/update. We may not see everyone we want as playable characters but seeing them make an appearance in some ways would still be good I hope whoever makes it in its somebody from Nintendo's past that has been kinda forgotten someone like... Captain N

bluemage1989

Tsuchinoko

bluemage1989 wrote:

Would be cool if they added a few surprise assist trophies in any dlc/update. We may not see everyone we want as playable characters but seeing them make an appearance in some ways would still be good I hope whoever makes it in its somebody from Nintendo's past that has been kinda forgotten someone like... Captain N

If Nintendo even listens to the third party and indie votes, they might just end up as trophies, but I feel like many voters would be happy with that.

I just wish people could take this whole thing seriously. Many people complain about how companies handle DLC, but Nintendo has done very well to avoid a lot of the bad things other companies do, and they're letting fans vote on character DLC, which is huge.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic