Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 19,461 to 19,480 of 27,917

Grumblevolcano

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

I decided to try out Fox yesterday, and I'm already actually becoming good as him! I think he might be in my top 5, but he definitely won't be better than my Captain Falcon (my mains in my signature). So I'm thinking... should I buy a Fox amiibo along with Captain Falcon and Mario amiibo? I think that would be a nice idea. Speaking of amiibos what amiibos are out and what's in the second wave? I can't find the link to first and second wave. (I'm not in America, so I don't know much about first amiibo wave).

Fox is one of the 10 characters supported by Mario Kart 8 so not only will you get a character to train with in Smash Wii U but you'll also get a Mii outfit. Fox and Mario are already out as part of the 1st wave, the others are Marth, DK, Peach, Samus, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu. The 2nd wave comes out December 19th and includes:

• Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Diddy Kong
  • Pit
  • Zelda
  • Little Mac

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pootypie

Grumblevolcano wrote:

TheGreatBrawler wrote:

I decided to try out Fox yesterday, and I'm already actually becoming good as him! I think he might be in my top 5, but he definitely won't be better than my Captain Falcon (my mains in my signature). So I'm thinking... should I buy a Fox amiibo along with Captain Falcon and Mario amiibo? I think that would be a nice idea. Speaking of amiibos what amiibos are out and what's in the second wave? I can't find the link to first and second wave. (I'm not in America, so I don't know much about first amiibo wave).

Fox is one of the 10 characters supported by Mario Kart 8 so not only will you get a character to train with in Smash Wii U but you'll also get a Mii outfit. Fox and Mario are already out as part of the 1st wave, the others are Marth, DK, Peach, Samus, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu. The 2nd wave comes out December 19th and includes:

• Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Diddy Kong
  • Pit
  • Zelda
  • Little Mac

Oh ok thank you The time for second wave is perfect timing, as I will visit states in December lol, so it looks like Captain Falcon, Mario and maybe Fox then. I think I should probably get Donkey Kong too, so I can enjoy amiibos more. Hopefully none of the first wave are limited amiibos...

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Sparx

UGXwolf wrote:

So now that I'm FINALLY sitting down in my chair and can cover this with far more ease than I could've on my phone, I'm going to throw out whatever knowledge I can about Shulk. Remember, I'm no expert player. I hardly even try for advanced strats and I do tend to get creamed if I find someone online that's actually competitively viable. However, I did manage to beat All-Star in 6 minutes as Shulk on my first (successful) run-through, so there's that.

So, starting with the basics: Shulk is slow. Not super slow like Ike or Ganondorf, but slow enough that nearly any character you find online can probably interrupt most of his attacks. This means you have to be predictive and use Shulk's deceptive range to his advantage. He's easily got the best range out of all the swordsmen in the game. His smashes are all good for catching approaching opponents off-guard, but of course, they may expect this. Air slash also does a good job of catching airbourne enemies off-guard. Meanwhile, Back Slash is a great move for approaching from the air. And most importantly, his Forward air and Neutral air are GREAT for interrupting charging, slow, or even unattentive combo-users. It's also really hard to use a counter on these moves for most characters (not Greninja or Lucario) if you're placed well.

With that out of the way, your smashes, especially your forward smash, your Back Slash, your Air Slash, your Counter, and even your F-tilt and dash attack--at high damage with Smash on--are all good or decent kill moves. Just so nobody thinks I'm ignoring them, the other tilts are good for interrupting approaching assailants and the back air has decent range, I just don't find myself using these a lot.

Now the Monado Arts are very important as they can range from super useful to extremely contextual. Jump, for instance, is really only super useful against weaker characters that don't have a lot of good kill moves and maybe accel at chasing or air combat. Jiggs is a great example of who you might use Jump on. Speed is helpful against most characters but a good player will normalize to it fast. Use this to switch up your strategy, if someone's just completely wrecking you. Shield is great for the start of a match, if you don't already know what to expect. DO NOT use shield at high damage, ESPECIALLY if you're up against a character with great knockback. You'll find returning to the stage becomes very difficult.

As for the other two, obviously, Smash is great, if the enemy is at high damage, but if you just got the stock lead, absolutely do not use it. Speed is likely better suited for stock-lead damage, as you'll be a little harder to hit. And Buster is almost always a good thing. Extra attack power for limited knockback? Sounds like combos just got easy. This is a great way to rack up damage.

The main problem I hear about with the Monado Artes is that people can't get what they want. They'll pass it a few times or get interrupted. Learn how and when to use it and try to know how many times you need to hit the button before you get what you needed. If an Arte is already active, it's gonna take an extra one or two taps to get the Arte you're looking for. 1 - Jump 2 - Speed 3 - Shield 4 - Buster 5 - Smash. REMEMBER THAT.

Finally, this is something I have yet to get in my head, so figuring this out fast will help you immensely. BACK SLASH DOES NOT GRAB THE LEDGE. I hate when I trigger it early and miss, falling to my doom. Be very careful with this. It'll get enemies to back off, but if you miss the stage there's no hope for recovery.

So, @Sparx I hope this little impromptu guide helps you learn Shulk better. Just keep trying, learn his Artes and preferrably find your own better uses for them than I have. Most importantly enjoy it.

Thanks for the tips! Back slash is a pain when you barely miss the ledge. I do love the range on his moves, though projectile users are a pain.

My avatar is from here

ZurrrrBlattTron

can super smash bros be played on the GAMEPAD*** My iPhone auto corrected to iPad oh lord
"Oh hey yes I have a question, Can Super Smash Bros Wii U be played on the IPad?"

Edited on by ZurrrrBlattTron

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

Moshugan

torotoid64 wrote:

can super smash bros be played on the GAMEPAD*** My iPhone auto corrected to iPad oh lord

YES it CAN!

EDIT: And it works superfine!

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Moshugan

Crimzonlogic wrote:

I'm sad. I received a copy of the game in the mail today from ToysRus, but it was a mistake. I cancelled my order a while ago because I needed the money and I already received a refund. When I called, the guy on the phone kept confusing me and contradicting himself, but he said I need to return it. I can't keep it. I just want the game. I will snuggle this copy warmly before taking it to the nearest store tomorrow. T_T

Oh man! Sorry to hear.
Such a tease, I can imagine. ;p

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Pootypie

Would it be a good idea to order Mario and Fox amiibos now? So I can be sure they don't sell out and I can pick them up when i get to states. I just don't want to miss them lol

EDIT: I think I will order amiibos from Gamestop (since my brother wants Shulk) I want 3, he wants 2, and that's the price of a game! Lol

Edited on by Pootypie

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

CapeSmash

Untitled

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Azooooz

SockoMario wrote:

Untitled

Unstoppable as Jumpman

Undefeated as the Great Gonzalez,

Unforgiving as Mario.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Henmii

"According to Jirard Khalil, The Completionist, there are 685 trophies in the 3DS Version and 716 trophies in the Wii U Version. And yes, 140 is all, but tha 140 will make you cry"

Hmm, that's not much more trophy's then the 3DS version has. Hopefully most are new.

As for the person who said that Cruel smash is more "Cruel" in the Wii u version: It didn't take me much effort to KO 2 characters, while in the 3DS version it took lots of tries before I did KO 2. Same with Homerun contest, Ganondorf. After 2 tries I already hit over 1000. Took me much more tries on the 3DS version. I really don't get why Sakurai made launching a opponent so hard on the 3DS version.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Grumblevolcano

@Henmii Cruel Smash is only more "Cruel" in the Wii U version because of the challenges attached. Luigi and Lucina aren't exactly the best characters for it and you have to survive for 1 minute and get 8 KOs or more respectively.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoFan64

SockoMario wrote:

Untitled

This ain't no Mario party...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

MasterWario

Hey so, there's also a Globox trophy in the game too! Just got it a little while ago!

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Henmii Cruel Smash is only more "Cruel" in the Wii U version because of the challenges attached. Luigi and Lucina aren't exactly the best characters for it and you have to survive for 1 minute and get 8 KOs or more respectively.

Actually imo, the problem is you have more mii characters on the platform. It makes it harder to counter all of them.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

NintendoFan64

MasterWario wrote:

Hey so, there's also a Globox trophy in the game too! Just got it a little while ago!

There's also a Barbara trophy. At this point I'm expecting the Teensies to show up.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Yoshi

Finally defeated that god forsaken Master Fortress for the first time. I did it on 8.5 and without losing a life, no less!

That heart beat that goes faster and faster stresses me out like no other.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Knux

Been owning this game since Tuesday, and I have to say that it's amazing! Aside from the lack of a retry button in Event Mode and Stage Builder's problems, this could be the best Smash Bros. game!

Knux

JoyBoy

Knux wrote:

Been owning this game since Tuesday, and I have to say that it's amazing! Aside from the lack of a retry button in Event Mode and Stage Builder's problems, this could be the best Smash Bros. game!

Been owning this game since yesterday, and I already feel the same. I have enjoyed good games over the past 2 years, but the excitement I get from the new Smash is incredible.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

MegaStoneSmash91

NintyMan wrote:

@MasterWario: There's a Barbara trophy too. Pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that's it for Rayman trophies, though. It's a wonder they didn't make a Raving Rabbids trophy.

I don't know how to clear the challenge with Luigi surviving in Cruel Smash in one minute. That feels like an eon to me, and Luigi's missile and uppercut recoveries can only do so much. Not to mention that a Mii could KO you even with only two hits.

You don't see Luigi getting serious in Smash. The only exception I know of is the Mii commercial.

My initial strategy for the Luigi challenge was to just hang out on the edge of the stage most of the time. Drop down, jump back on, repeat. However, since you now only recieve invincibility the first time you grab an edge, this proves useless. Eventually I came up with something that worked rather well. Using Luigi's fabulous jumping ability, jump from one side of the stage to the other. When the Miis get close, jump off the stage a little and get under the edge to grab it. From the edge, use a roll to get past the Miis which are, hopefully, mostly grouped together near the edge. Run to the other side of the stage, rinse and repeat until the minute is up or until you get sick of doing that. If you're worried about any Miis under you after a jump, the Luigi Cyclone can usually scatter them and give you a bit of room. Hope this helps! If not, well I tried.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Punished_Boss_84

What's this?

Fellow Nintendo new release Super Smash Bros. only managed 13th place in the chart. That includes sales of both the Wii U and 3DS incarnations. The game was supported by the launch of Nintendo's new Amiibo toy range (sales of which aren't yet known) but anecdotally there have been reports of Amiibo and Smash Bros. stock shortages, which may not have helped the game's chart position.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-01-omega-ruby-and-a...

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic