Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 261 to 280 of 1,096

Blast

arronishere wrote:

Interesting blog entry from the guy making the game...

Nice to meet you. I am the chief director for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Mitsuru Hirata of Atlus. I’ve previously worked as the director for Radiant Historia, and as the supporting director of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.

It’s been about two months ago since officially announcing this title, and I’m sure many of you were surprised by it. Even I told myself ‘to think that a collaboration with Fire Emblem would shape up like this!’ and I was really surprised. Even though I’m the one developing it.

Looking back 25 years ago, I have some memories of when I first encountered Fire Emblem. It had a package design with a soft touch that reminded me of a certain popular feature anime film. Its game characteristics managed to crush the young me, who thought at the time, “I’ve played so many tough-as-nails role-playing games on PC up until now, so this should be easy enough for me!”

Then, as I played, each time I lost an ally, I would mutter to myself: “T-this is the devil.” And in the end of my first run, I eventually found myself incapacitated, since I didn’t have enough units to continue fighting, and I wept and started the game over from scratch…

It was a wolf in sheep’s clothing, I tell you…

“Oh, so that’s how you use that word! Our predecessors had some good quotes! Ahahaha!!” These were some of the things I thought while continuously pressing the reset button in despair on a daily basis.

Reset > Sulk in bed > Eat > Try again > Reset > Sulk in bed > Take a bath > Try again > Reset… on an endless repetition. It was like a toxin that kept me playing countless times even while grieving, and I was completely absorbed.

And that is how I met the game that shaved off parts of my innocence. After that, fate repeated itself once more, and my Super Famicom’s reset button actually broke, so I had to buy another one. Even on the Game Boy Advance, I was busy reading the enemy’s moves two or three steps ahead, and before I realized it, I had ended up staying on the train until the last stop… and the ride home in a taxi, that also brings back some good memories… haha…

That said, there’s something I must confess…

I’m actually pretty terrible at strategy games (lol). It kind of sounds like a situation that I should be slapped on the head for saying, like “… hey!” but the truth is, I love Fire Emblem.

Before Fire Emblem, I believe most of the so-called genre of strategy games consisted of game characteristics such as “win accordingly, don’t emphasize too much over that process, a strategy to win is more important than position,” and so on. For this reason, units weren’t treated as importantly, and the tide of battle was easily turned using numbers. Such developments were frequent… and I was just not great with that mindset.

However, Fire Emblem was a strategy game with a completely different approach. Paying attention to the units is important! If they die, they won’t come back! You can’t win with just numbers either! Rather than just claiming victory, there’s also the birth of the drama that arises from having your favorite unit win through battles (even if they’re weak).

… I was mesmerized. As I was playing, I realized that each space I moved a unit, each time I hit the enemy, I was writing my own story about it all in my head.

“Ack! Hear me, the now deceased Draug… I, the Armor Knight, shall take on this castle wall in your stead! The rest of you sneak around for a surprise attack!”

“R-Roger!”

“Only I, the Pegasus Knight, can go over these mountains! I must catch up to the others! Their lives are in danger!”

And that’s kind of what it was like… of course, that might be a bit too much. However, I feel that this is Fire Emblem’s greatest charm. I believe that the importance of characters is also a common element in the games we make at Atlus. In a sense, I think that a collaboration between Fire Emblem and Atlus is as natural as it gets! (lol)

Fire Emblem is a title that is full of memories, intermingled with love and hate, something I can’t express with one word, and before I knew it, I’d gone from being on the side of playing it onto the side that is making it. This must be fate. The femme fatale that toyed with my youth! I’ve been waiting for you! My long-lasting grudge!

It’s kind of like finally being able to meet the person I’ve longed for over many years, but since the development’s first day and several years of change afterwards, we were able to show you guys the trailer, which is the fruition of my own “memories of 25 years”.

As far as what kind of changes, actual game content, and such, I hope we get to talk about it next time. This time, I wanted to first talk about what Fire Emblem means to me (lol).

Lastly, here’s a peek at a screenshot on something that’s currently in development…

Untitled
This is a look at a certain dungeon. It was shown a bit in the trailer during the Nintendo Direct back on April 2nd, but do you notice any differences from then if you compare it? The floor’s texture has improved, there are additional objects [in the environment]… and so on.

The April 2nd trailer isn’t the final visual representation of the game. We’ll continue improving on the quality from this point on, so please look forward to it!

And that’s how the staff is zealously developing Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem at the moment. I believe we’ll be able to reveal new information soon, so again, please look forward to it!

All the doubters need to read this!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Offspring

That doesn't really make me feel any better about the game. The guy may be a fan of Fire Emblem but this game hasn't shown anything close to what made him a fan of the franchise. All the trailer showed the game to be was a Persona knockoff and anyone saying that isn't something to be criticized is being foolish. I don't want to be the Haru or Bolt_Strike of this thread and just crap on everyone's hype but the people blindly supporting this game simply because it's a JRPG are driving me insane. It has a bland and generic artstyle, previous-gen quality battle scenes, and very little Fire Emblem influence. Hopefully e3 will change my opinion but if not, I will use that $60 to buy something else.

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

Hendesu

I hope this game doesn't have the waifu crap like in FE: Awakening.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

ricklongo

OlicityBlows wrote:

All the trailer showed the game to be was a Persona knockoff and anyone saying that isn't something to be criticized is being foolish.

Well... why? If they want a Persona-like game, they're entirely justified to be hyped. I never played a Persona, and as such I'm just cautiously optimistic.

OlicityBlows wrote:

the people blindly supporting this game simply because it's a JRPG are driving me insane. It has a bland and generic artstyle, previous-gen quality battle scenes, and very little Fire Emblem influence.

See, 1) I really enjoy the artstyle; 2) there really aren't enough battle details to even tell; and 3) as much as I love Fire Emblem, I'm totally fine with this being a more traditional JRPG rather than a tactical RPG. So again, I fail to see why you're so upset other than "this game doesn't look like what I personally wanted it to be and I can't stand that other people feel differently".

Edited on by ricklongo

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

Offspring

ricklongo wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

All the trailer showed the game to be was a Persona knockoff and anyone saying that isn't something to be criticized is being foolish.

Well... why? If they want a Persona-like game, they're entirely justified to be hyped. I never played a Persona, and as such I'm just cautiously optimistic.

I've never played Persona either and I think the mechanic of summoning one's inner persona to battle is awesome but it's the date sim part I want nothing to do with. A much better setup would be to actually make this SMT X FE and just replace the demons with FE characters. And I don't care if someone is hyped about this knockoff.

ricklongo wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

the people blindly supporting this game simply because it's a JRPG are driving me insane. It has a bland and generic artstyle, previous-gen quality battle scenes, and very little Fire Emblem influence.

See, 1) I really enjoy the artstyle; 2) there really aren't enough battle details to even tell; and 3) as much as I love Fire Emblem, I'm totally fine with this being a more traditional JRPG rather than a tactical RPG. So again, I fail to see why you're so upset other than "this game doesn't look like what I personally wanted it to be and I can't stand that other people feel differently".

1) Why? It's generic anime and the real deal Persona 5 looks much better 2) I watched the video multiple times (muted to save my ears from that wretched noise) and the battle scenes don't look much better than those from Radiant Dawn 3) The reason I was excited for the game was for the different take on the franchise but you don't have to remove basically all the FE influences to do that. What they have done (just basing off the trailer) is equivalent to Hyrule Warriors having only original characters or Pokken Fighters giving the pokemon traditional Tekken movesets. So again, I don't care what anyone thinks about this game, I just don't want them acting like doubters don't have a right to criticize the game which is what I thought Blast was doing.

Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Blast

OlicityBlows wrote:

ricklongo wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

I've never played Persona either and I think the mechanic of summoning one's inner persona to battle is awesome but it's the date sim part I want nothing to do with. A much better setup would be to actually make this SMT X FE and just replace the demons with FE characters. And I don't care if someone is hyped about this knockoff.

ricklongo wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

1) Why? It's generic anime and the real deal Persona 5 looks much better 2) I watched the video multiple times (muted to save my ears from that wretched noise) and the battle scenes don't look much better than those from Radiant Dawn 3) The reason I was excited for the game was for the different take on the franchise but you don't have to remove basically all the FE influences to do that. What they have done (just basing off the trailer) is equivalent to Hyrule Warriors having only original characters or Pokken Fighters giving the pokemon traditional Tekken movesets. So again, I don't care what anyone thinks about this game, I just don't want them acting like doubters don't have a right to criticize the game which is what I thought Blast was doing.

You have the right to criticize anything you want. Its just... Doubters complaining about something they will never try or give a chance to is just an eyesore and annoying. You don't like what you see so far from one trailer... We get it. Now what's a game you're excited for? Tell me so I can criticize it over and over and over like youre doing to this game.

Master of the Hype Train

kkslider5552000

Sakurai wrote:

This makes me want it to have more waifu crap.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

nacho_chicken

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Sakurai wrote:

I don't even think you can do it in the same fashion, unless there's like 30+ playable characters. The closest thing to Awakening's "waifu crap" Shin Megami Tensei has is Persona 3/4's Social Link system, and that's considered one of the high points of the series. It's basically like FE's support system, except it's only the MC, and there's legitimate character progression for everyone instead of a few lines of varying quality and then RANK UP!

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

whodatninja

This game looks freaking amazing, and I can't wait for it! I hope it will have romance like Persona

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Sakurai wrote:

But then NoA would have to edit the dialogue so that everyone is a 20 year old high school student.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

nacho_chicken

CaviarMeths wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But then NoA would have to edit the dialogue so that everyone is a 20 year old high school student.

Boyfriends and Girlfriends are things that exist.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Offspring

@Blast Put yourself in my shoes and imagine a game you were really hyped for end up being a genre that you hate and then you may understand why I'm being so negative. I know these posts really drag down threads, even though I don't think I've posted much in here, but I'm not going to let someone take digs at doubters especially since there are very few that have even given any actual reasoning why they think this game will be good besides O MAH GERD IT'S A JRPG WIT WAIFUS!!!

Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Ryu_Niiyama

While I am very stoked for this game I really hope that a true FE game gets made for the WiiU. I guessing from the trailer the FE pretty much take the place of personas? I thought they were going to do like SMT IV and do a strange merger of the two worlds.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Blast

OlicityBlows wrote:

@Blast Put yourself in my shoes and imagine a game you were really hyped for end up being a genre that you hate and then you may understand why I'm being so negative. I know these posts really drag down threads, even though I don't think I've posted much in here, but I'm not going to let someone take digs at doubters especially since there are very few that have even given any actual reasoning why they think this game will be good besides O MAH GERD IT'S A JRPG WIT WAIFUS!!!

Why will it be good?! Atlus is behind this!!! Atlus!!!!!! Atlus is like Platinum Games. They very rarely put out bad games. This is as close we're gonna get to the critically acclaimed Persona style on Wii U, too. There's Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei elements in that trailer!!! I like the direction of the game. Would a different direction of something like Chrom, Marth, Flynn (SMT IV) and Lucina riding on motorcycles while fighting demons would be cool? Yes, it would be cool. But that's also very predictable and could end up becoming bland over time. I understand that you hate the genre but you really should give the game a chance before expecting it to be garbage.

Master of the Hype Train

CaviarMeths

OlicityBlows wrote:

Put yourself in my shoes and imagine a game you were really hyped for end up being a genre that you hate and then you may understand why I'm being so negative. I know these posts really drag down threads, even though I don't think I've posted much in here, but I'm not going to let someone take digs at doubters especially since there are very few that have even given any actual reasoning why they think this game will be good besides O MAH GERD IT'S A JRPG WIT WAIFUS!!!

Please don't pretend to be reasonable when your criticism of the game is that it's "a JRPG with waifus."

You've never even played Persona 4, but criticize it as a dating sim. It's an 80 hour game with about 30 minutes tops of optional dating. If you're not interested in it, there's a single prompt for each of the female characters in which you can continue your relationships entirely as just friends. It doesn't even affect your social links or personas in any way. If you're willing to hand wave away 79.5 hours of dungeons and a fantastic story, you are not using "actual reasoning."

And now you've also classed SMTxFE as a dating sim like Persona because, I'm guessing, it shares a similar aesthetic. The trailers have shown nothing indicating dating elements whatsoever. You're just assuming this because it looks like Persona, a game you've never played.

As for your other actual reasonable criticisms,

1) The art style is subjective. Obviously you don't like it because it's repulsed you to the point of making up fake genres for games that share this art style. Others might enjoy it, perhaps even those who have played games like Devil Survivor.
2) What does "previous-gen battle scenes" even mean?
3) There are many elements and influences taken from Fire Emblem. GameXplain has done a great analysis of that on YouTube, if you're interested (you're not). As the game is being developed almost entirely by Atlus though, headed by SMT alumni, yes, it will probably play more like an SMT game.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

CaviarMeths wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

Put yourself in my shoes and imagine a game you were really hyped for end up being a genre that you hate and then you may understand why I'm being so negative. I know these posts really drag down threads, even though I don't think I've posted much in here, but I'm not going to let someone take digs at doubters especially since there are very few that have even given any actual reasoning why they think this game will be good besides O MAH GERD IT'S A JRPG WIT WAIFUS!!!

Please don't pretend to be reasonable when your criticism of the game is that it's "a JRPG with waifus."

You've never even played Persona 4, but criticize it as a dating sim. It's an 80 hour game with about 30 minutes tops of optional dating. If you're not interested in it, there's a single prompt for each of the female characters in which you can continue your relationships entirely as just friends. It doesn't even affect your social links or personas in any way. If you're willing to hand wave away 79.5 hours of dungeons and a fantastic story, you are not using "actual reasoning."

And now you've also classed SMTxFE as a dating sim like Persona because, I'm guessing, it shares a similar aesthetic. The trailers have shown nothing indicating dating elements whatsoever. You're just assuming this because it looks like Persona, a game you've never played.

As for your other actual reasonable criticisms,

1) The art style is subjective. Obviously you don't like it because it's repulsed you to the point of making up fake genres for games that share this art style. Others might enjoy it, perhaps even those who have played games like Devil Survivor.
2) What does "previous-gen battle scenes" even mean?
3) There are many elements and influences taken from Fire Emblem. GameXplain has done a great analysis of that on YouTube, if you're interested (you're not). As the game is being developed almost entirely by Atlus though, headed by SMT alumni, yes, it will probably play more like an SMT game.

@CaviarMeths Agreed!!!!

Master of the Hype Train

CanisWolfred

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

While I am very stoked for this game I really hope that a true FE game gets made for the WiiU. I guessing from the trailer the FE pretty much take the place of personas? I thought they were going to do like SMT IV and do a strange merger of the two worlds.

I think that was the plan at first, but a lot of things changed during development.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

VoodooTrumpet

Atlus > every other developer

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

Spoony_Tech

VoodooTrumpet wrote:

Atlus > every other developer

Third party yes!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

OlicityBlows wrote:

Maybe you should have an opinion that isn't ****?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.