Wii U Forum

Topic: Should the gamepad be "abandoned"???

Showing 41 to 60 of 126

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

41. Posted:

@CanisWolfred Exactly what I'm thinking.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

42. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

What reason would there be to buy the Wii U without the gamepad, though? It would just be a PS360 without all the benefits of those consoles, like an account system, Harddrive, and group chats, while still costing the same as at least a 360. Every major gamer has those consoles already. What would entice potential buyers to the Wii U? The Nintendo games? You might as well buy a 3DS if that's all you want.

If you wanted to use the gamepad and experience something different, you could still buy one. If you just wanted to play a whole new generation of Nintendo console games in HD and have access to the VC, Miiverse, eShop, and other exclusive titles, you could buy the Wii-U, and have the option of becoming a console owner at either a $299 w/gamepad or $199 price point.

The PS3 and 360 were no different than each other hardware wise, except for exclusive titles and online services, yet they both managed to sell well. The games sold the systems. Why do you feel the Wii-U requires a "gimmick" to make it desirable to buyers?

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

43. Posted:

@FutureAlphaMale How many proper games on the Xbox 360 supported the Kinect again barely any and if they did they were terrible like Fable Journey and Kinect Star Wars.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

44. Posted:

ScroogeMcLz wrote:

Because releasing more options may actually hurt the Wii U than help it. What would even be the purpose of the gamepad if it was completely optional? No developer would use it anymore.

Wiimote/Classic controller/Pro-controller use is completely optional as well, yet developers are enabling those to be used on their games. Why not the same for the gamepad? The developers are obviously prepared to make their games playable for people who don't want to use the gamepad.

And lets be honest, VERY few of the games the use it do so in a completely unique manner, especially the third party games. Most of the time its relegated to being a map screen or used for swapping items. Hardly things that make it feel like the game can't be played any other way than with the gamepad.

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

45. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

What reason would there be to buy the Wii U without the gamepad, though? It would just be a PS360 without all the benefits of those consoles, like an account system, Harddrive, and group chats, while still costing the same as at least a 360. Every major gamer has those consoles already. What would entice potential buyers to the Wii U? The Nintendo games? You might as well buy a 3DS if that's all you want.

If you wanted to use the gamepad and experience something different, you could still buy one. If you just wanted to play a whole new generation of Nintendo console games in HD and have access to the VC, Miiverse, eShop, and other exclusive titles, you could buy the Wii-U, and have the option of becoming a console owner at either a $299 w/gamepad or $199 price point.

The PS3 and 360 were no different than each other hardware wise, except for exclusive titles and online services, yet they both managed to sell well. The games sold the systems. Why do you feel the Wii-U requires a "gimmick" to make it desirable to buyers?

I dont think it will be desirable to buyers even without the gimmick.

What has to happen is 3rd party support really. These 3rd party companies only give watered down versions or wont even bring the games to the Wii U. Your system can have as many gimmicks and what not as you want but that's not what sells a system its games. And thats the problem right now IMO.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

46. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

@FutureAlphaMale Then the Wii U clearly isn't for you.

That's what I am beginning to think.

Why? Because I have an iPad I can surf the web on while watching TV/Gaming? Because I have access to a huge TV I can play on whenever I want, rendering the "off screen" play on the gamepad unnecessary for me? Because I would rather lay on a couch/bed and play with the pro-controller instead of holding a comparatively large, glowing, touch screen in my hands,which requires me to look down at it often or move it around awkwardly while using it as a "scanner"??

I still love the system and want it to do well, but the gamepad really does feel like its being forced on gamers and putting off potential buyers. It should be optional, not mandatory.

You just answered your question right there. If that's the case why not just trade in your Wii U for a PS4? You will get all that and not have to worry about being forced to own a gamepad.

Ummmm...because I want to play Nintendo games and other exclusive titles?? Isn't that what its all about....the games??

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

47. Posted:

Without the Game Pad, I wouldn't have had any interest in the Wii U.

Zombi U, Arkham City: AE, Nintendo Land, Mass Effect 3, Splinter Cell, Deux EX, Scribblenauts.... even NSMB and Zelda.... my love for the Wii U is my love of the game pad. It is super important to me in many games. It is used brilliantly in these games.

So the answer is a resounding no. Game Pad is awesome.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

48. Posted:

Not me personally but everyone in my family uses that thing a lot to watch netflix while something else is on the TV. Gamepad is actually pretty nifty.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

49. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

@FutureAlphaMale Then the Wii U clearly isn't for you.

That's what I am beginning to think.

Why? Because I have an iPad I can surf the web on while watching TV/Gaming? Because I have access to a huge TV I can play on whenever I want, rendering the "off screen" play on the gamepad unnecessary for me? Because I would rather lay on a couch/bed and play with the pro-controller instead of holding a comparatively large, glowing, touch screen in my hands,which requires me to look down at it often or move it around awkwardly while using it as a "scanner"??

I still love the system and want it to do well, but the gamepad really does feel like its being forced on gamers and putting off potential buyers. It should be optional, not mandatory.

You just answered your question right there. If that's the case why not just trade in your Wii U for a PS4? You will get all that and not have to worry about being forced to own a gamepad.

Ummmm...because I want to play Nintendo games and other exclusive titles?? Isn't that what its all about....the games??

Well then obviously it doesn't matter to you having the gamepad cause you bought the system anyway. And as I said before you are not being forced to use it since you clearly explained how you play with the pro controller. So what is the problem them. Just enjoy what you have and play how you want to play thats all. If you want to use the gamepad then use it if not then don't doesn't get much simpler then that.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

50. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

What has to happen is 3rd party support really. These 3rd party companies only give watered down versions or wont even bring the games to the Wii U. Your system can have as many gimmicks and what not as you want but that's not what sells a system its games. And thats the problem right now IMO.

Nintendo themselves haven't even come up with any compelling gameplay using the gamepad that blows people away, and they designed the hardware!!
So why do you expect the third-party developers to spend their valuable resources coming up with ingenious ways to implement the gamepad, only to have their games sell under 15,000 copies? Its a thankless situation.

The developers can spend the money in R&D coming up with some crazy unique gameplay, only to have it sell horribly, or tack on a map screen to the gamepad and have the game sell the same abount had they put more time and effort into it?

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

51. Posted:

I think it would be a bad idea. If you dump a main feature of one of your products to devalue your product then you have successfully lowered confidence consumers have in you. That move would reek of desperation by Nintendo as their one last shot for the Wii U before hitting the bargain bin and the subject of video games jokes for millennia.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Samurai_Goroh

52. Posted:

Honestly, the best use of the GamePad I've seen comes from a 3rd party, namely Ubisoft. Rayman Legends does it brilliantly and so does Zombi U. In fact, without the GamePad, Zombi U would probably never exist. The whole point of the game is that is is a survival horror on which the game doesn't stop while you access your inventory, the zombies are always coming to get you. Other interactions such as the scanner are cool, but this is what made this game what it is; intuitive item switching. It really adds to the tension.

Samurai_Goroh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

53. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

That move would reek of desperation by Nintendo as their one last shot for the Wii U before hitting the bargain bin and the subject of video games jokes for millennia.

Aren't they already getting "desperate" by cutting the Wii-U price by $50 just months after its release? They got "desperate" with the 3DS price as well, and that turned things around for them. They also got "desperate" by releasing a 3D-less 2DS! Don't tell me you didn't think that was a joke when you first heard that...

So why would, after a year, releasing a Wii-U console thats cheaper and doesn't include a gamepad be the straw the breaks the camels back? The gamepad would still exist and be utilized, except you would just have the option of whether or not you wanted to pay for one or not. I'm obviously (UNDERSTATEMENT) in the minority with my thinking on this matter, but I have yet to...

A) Play or experience a single game (a REAL game, not a mini-game) on the Wii-U that couldn't just as easily be played with a standard controller (Zombi U is a close exception, but even that could exisit without the gamepad).
B) Hear one reasonable excuse why the system shouldn't also be sold in a model without the gamepad.

And sorry, but the "With no gamepad, why would people even want to own a Wii-U?!" and "It would make the people who bought early mad!" arguments don't work for me. People get mad over most of Nintendo's moves (quick price drops, pack in games, etc) but they eventually get over it.

The PS1, PS2, PS3, SNES, N64, GameCube, Xbox, 360, etc.. all sold based on their games and services! Not a gimmicky controller. Saying the Wii-U would be "worthless" without including a gamepad ignores the whole reason people buy consoles (specifically Nintendo's) in the first place.

To play games.

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

54. Posted:

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

Honestly, the best use of the GamePad I've seen comes from a 3rd party, namely Ubisoft. Rayman Legends does it brilliantly and so does Zombi U. In fact, without the GamePad, Zombi U would probably never exist. The whole point of the game is that is is a survival horror on which the game doesn't stop while you access your inventory, the zombies are always coming to get you. Other interactions such as the scanner are cool, but this is what made this game what it is; intuitive item switching. It really adds to the tension.

Agree on Zombi U, but has Nintendo even produced a game yet that really requires the gamepad?? Pikmin 3 is best controlled with a wiimote, SMW3D doesn't look like it needs a gamepad at all, NSMBU could just as easily be played with a sideways wiimote, Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta 2/Smash Bros can all be (and likely preferably) played with the pro controller. I'm currently playing Windwaker HD with standard controls, just as it existed before on the GameCube, and recently completed W101 using the pro controller which most people would admit is the prefered method for that game.

You couldn't play Wii Sports without a wiimote, that was completely necessary, and thats why it connected with consumers and sold tens of millions of units. One could not exist without the other. Swinging the "bat" or "releasing" the bowling ball was a requirement to have the experience.

All of the above Wii-U games I mentioned can be played with several different choices of control input, all of which can render the gamepad unnecessary.

Edited on by Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

55. Posted:

There are plenty of reasonable reasons why the system shouldn't be sold without one you are just not paying attention or not hearing what you want to hear. You need to quite while you are ahead now dude. What you are saying is making no sense now.

If all you want a console for is to play games then what does it matter if you buy a Wii U, PS4 or Xbox One. Each company adds their options to entice buyers to buy there system over the other guys. If you dont like what system A offers well then buy system B its that easy.

Sound to me that you are not happy with your Wii U and you just want to whine thats all. Plenty of folks around here love and use the gamepad you are not going to convince anyone that Nintendo should ditch the gamepad just like no one is going to convince you they should keep it. Its opinions thats all and you just need to stop now. You said your peace now either go enjoy your Wii U or don't thats up to you.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Nose

56. Posted:

Yeah, head on over to one of the DS forums and post that it should drop one of it's screens.

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

57. Posted:

I am thinking that the OP here and the OP of this thread http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/should_nintendo_quit_t... should get together for bowling night. ;)

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

58. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Aren't they already getting "desperate" by cutting the Wii-U price by $50 just months after its release? They got "desperate" with the 3DS price as well, and that turned things around for them. They also got "desperate" by releasing a 3D-less 2DS! Don't tell me you didn't think that was a joke when you first heard that...

It's not desperation because they are not taking anything away to reduce that price. As for the 2DS sure I was curious as to why they would release it at first but it didn't take too long to realize it was targeted for kids.

So why would, after a year, releasing a Wii-U console thats cheaper and doesn't include a gamepad be the straw the breaks the camels back?

Because the perception of the Wii U as a failure would be solidified by this move. Confidence in the Wii U would drop even more by Nintendo admitting that they were wrong about the importance of the GamePad. Lack of confidence in a company and their product(s) does not equal long term success.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Warruz

59. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Ryno wrote:

That move would reek of desperation by Nintendo as their one last shot for the Wii U before hitting the bargain bin and the subject of video games jokes for millennia.

Aren't they already getting "desperate" by cutting the Wii-U price by $50 just months after its release? They got "desperate" with the 3DS price as well, and that turned things around for them. They also got "desperate" by releasing a 3D-less 2DS! Don't tell me you didn't think that was a joke when you first heard that...

We all know what the 2DS is for, that is not a desperate move by any means in fact its a very smart one. Its not 3D so its good for little kids and its cheap which parents love so its perfectly targeted at parents purchasing for young children. $50 is by no mean desperate either, consider that playstation 3 doped by $100(as the 20GB model was discontinued and the 60 was marked down to the 20GB model price point) within around 8 months of release. You could also look at it with the current generation working its way out that Nintendo is reassessing its price in comparison where before they could charge a premium being first on the block. What you keep calling desperate others would call smart business.

So why would, after a year, releasing a Wii-U console thats cheaper and doesn't include a gamepad be the straw the breaks the camels back? The gamepad would still exist and be utilized, except you would just have the option of whether or not you wanted to pay for one or not. I'm obviously (UNDERSTATEMENT) in the minority with my thinking on this matter, but I have yet to...

A) Play or experience a single game (a REAL game, not a mini-game) on the Wii-U that couldn't just as easily be played with a standard controller (Zombi U is a close exception, but even that could exisit without the gamepad).
B) Hear one reasonable excuse why the system shouldn't also be sold in a model without the gamepad.

Would it be utilized though besides nintendo? As others have said you end up fracturing the market, the now lowest common denominator in terms of the Wii U would be the non gamepad version. This means you dont have to design with it in mind, its now an accessory and honestly i love off TV play with it. Lets also keep in mind that if you remove the Gamepad, its not as simple as just not using it. Nintendo has gone to lengths to integrate it into everything so that would require reprogramming and Time = Money. Finally you now have just also smacked in the face all your existing customer base that adopted the gamepad version because now its not longer a requirement to create games with it in mind.

Your just not considering all the costs involved and the ramifications.

And sorry, but the "With no gamepad, why would people even want to own a Wii-U?!" and "It would make the people who bought early mad!" arguments don't work for me. People get mad over most of Nintendo's moves (quick price drops, pack in games, etc) but they eventually get over it.

The PS1, PS2, PS3, SNES, N64, GameCube, Xbox, 360, etc.. all sold based on their games and services! Not a gimmicky controller. Saying the Wii-U would be "worthless" without including a gamepad ignores the whole reason people buy consoles (specifically Nintendo's) in the first place.

To play games.

Its a perfectly fine argument, because your suggestion is to remove a feature for the sake of reduced cost but said feature does in fact add a lot and should be exploited as it serves as a way to stand out. Competing against Xbox and PS4 on raw power simply isnt nintendos way, they tried in during the gamecube era and it didnt work.

Check out my Video Game Podcast / Website - Pauseyourgame.com
Series of articles dealing with ways to improve Wii U Marketing - http://pauseyourgame.com/2013/10/what-nintendo-wii-u-need-to-do-part-1/

Twitter: Warruz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AJ_Lethal

60. Posted:

[quote=FutureAlphaMale]

Ryno wrote:

Lack of confidence in a company and their product(s) does not equal long term success.

Exactly. Just because the ride is bumpy doesn't mean you should jump ship ASAP.

deviantART

Sorry, this topic has been locked.