Wii U Forum

Topic: Should Satoru Iwata Get Fired And Replaced With Someone New?

Showing 81 to 100 of 155

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tebunker

81. Posted:

Also, you know, I will admit that I didn't read the thread, but does anyone actually understand how difficult it is to actually remove a CEO? On top that it is even more difficult to get rid of one like Iwata that has filled the board of Directors with his cronies/friends.

So in effect you would need the shareholders to mutiny like never before and still have enough votes to outvote Iwata and the Board etc.

So don't think that he will actually get fired. He will step down if he can't turn it around. Odds are too that you shouldn't expect a huge change, the new CEO will likely come from inside Nintendo. Iwata is a career NCL employee with close ties to Yamauchi family. They would just promote from within, so there probably wouldn't be a huge shift from what they are doing now. One could only hope that they would get someone with a more worldly understanding.

tebunker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

82. Posted:

I was on the fence about this, but I think Rich from ReviewTechUSA sort of put me over into the "he should probably be replaced" camp.

I like Satoru Iwata, I think he's a class act...that being said I'd prefer he step aside and let someone a little more in touch with western and youth culture step in. At the very least, he should appoint a new "director of console gaming" position and take a backseat for a while.

Why? Well...I think he may be the President we want, but not the President Nintendo needs right now. Iwata may be a bit too conservative in a time when Nintendo needs to fight harder against market forces that are very different then what they've dealt with in the past. I'd love more Donkey Kong Tropical Freezes and Super Mario 3D world type games, but I want more Metroid and Megaman type of games too. We want some new franchises too.

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BieberBlows

83. Posted:

I think he should stay but the marketing department needs to go. If they would have just used an aggressive marketing scheme like Sony and Microsoft did, the Wii U wouldn't be such a dud. Sony is leaking money like a siv but somehow
they advertised non-stop on about every channel which has resulted in them selling 7 million consoles in a matter of months even though it has very few games. I believe the Wii U's sales would be double what they are now, even sold at its original price, if Nintendo would have just advertised the damn thing! If they advertise Mario Kart as much as Infamous and Titanfall were the Wii U may have a chance to turn into a success but if not, it will never happen.

I found it hard, it's hard to find / Oh well, whatever, nevermind

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

84. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

The question is: with who?

With strangers on the internet, of course!

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kereke12

85. Posted:

I do not believe in "Reviewtechusa" but he makes a Bleep good point and other people have said the same thing...Including BIG NAMES. Seriously some of you guys are too naive to realize what's in stake here. Just because Iwata has done good in the "Golden ages" of Nintendo DS or Wii doesn't mean Sh**. So you guys rather see Nintendo fall on it as*hole. Then see Nintendo rise from hell? WOW!! I bet if I do a video of me asking random people what a Wii U is. I bet would get a rather good response. Of people saying. "What is that?" .... I'm a "Nintendo Fanboy" like everyone else here. I would want to see Nintendo rise... Now.......let me say this. Yes we should give Iwata a chance. (Again) See where he takes us. But other then that yes he should. I stand by on what I said.....But lets see what happens in the next couple months. :D

Edited on by kereke12

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kereke12

86. Posted:

Ohh one more thing, You wanna know who would be a best candidate to take over Nintendo?? .... None other then →→Reggie←← He would be perfect.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrabGats

87. Posted:

I think Nintendo's decision to monetize on any video with their content is a bigger stab at their sales than Iwata being president. Gaming channels on Youtube are less reluctant to post videos on Nintendo games, and most of the gaming community resides in Youtube. People aren't making videos on the Wii U or 3DS because of it, therefore less attention is brought to the good games on their consoles.

CrabGats

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlackStar9000

88. Posted:

That monetization crap has been over with for at least a year now, there are PLENTY of youtubers uploading Nintendo videos, walkthroughs, soundtracks and more, Wiifolderjosh is a prime example, even Rich from reviewtechusa, (who I can see you guys are divided on) uploads Nintendo gameplay sometimes. People just arent as interested in Nintendo as they used to be and there arent many New Nintendo games to cover either.

BlackStar9000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

89. Posted:

This is none of our business. It's Nintendo's business. Go play Mario and be happy, darn it.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

90. Posted:

Untitled
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

91. Posted:

http://i.imgur.com/379ch.gif

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

92. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

I was on the fence about this, but I think Rich from ReviewTechUSA sort of put me over into the "he should probably be replaced" camp.

I like Satoru Iwata, I think he's a class act...that being said I'd prefer he step aside and let someone a little more in touch with western and youth culture step in. At the very least, he should appoint a new "director of console gaming" position and take a backseat for a while.

Why? Well...I think he may be the President we want, but not the President Nintendo needs right now. Iwata may be a bit too conservative in a time when Nintendo needs to fight harder against market forces that are very different then what they've dealt with in the past. I'd love more Donkey Kong Tropical Freezes and Super Mario 3D world type games, but I want more Metroid and Megaman type of games too. We want some new franchises too.

"Iwata is the CEO we want, so let's get rid of him!"
This is essentially what your argument boils down to.

Let me put it this way: You are the consumer. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't enjoy it. If Iwata's bad for the company, he'll be removed, but I think we're putting a lot more blame on the poor guy than he really deserves. After three successful consoles, we're just gonna give him the boot over one sub-par launch? After almost a decade of nothing but profit, we're just gonna condemn the man for a few bad years? The Wii U has barely had a chance to recover, and we're just gonna call time of death, already? No! We're going to give them our support. We're going to stand up for what we like and if it doesn't work out, then it just doesn't.

As the consumer, it is not our job to think about what's best from Nintendo, but what we want from Nintendo, and then to speak as loudly as we can with our wallets. If something doesn't sell, you can bet it'll be a long time before they revisit it, and they'll remember what went wrong so that it doesn't go wrong, again. You've just gotta have a little bit of faith, you know?

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

93. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

Iwata may be a bit too conservative in a time when Nintendo needs to fight harder against market forces that are very different then what they've dealt with in the past. I'd love more Donkey Kong Tropical Freezes and Super Mario 3D world type games, but I want more Metroid and Megaman type of games too. We want some new franchises too.

There's value in being conservative as a company when you're a machine as big as Nintendo is. Conservative in terms of a company like Nintendo is holding back, not jumping on the new stuffs as soon as it's out and pouring money into infrastructure and R&D. Then they just once in a while quietly slip their product into the market and say "you want this". A lot of big tech companies do it, a lot of them do it very well indeed. Intel are the best at this believe it or not. The ones that do it best are the innovators and Nintendo are the innovators in this space.

Nintendo are in this for the long game. Most of their losses over the last few years aren't because of the Wii U directly. At most they're because they assumed they'd make buckets on the Wii U and they didn't. That's like saying you lost money on not getting a pay-rise last year. Their actual losses? They came from the fact that they're still pouring heaps of cash into R&D for the long term game.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

94. Posted:

kereke12 wrote:

Ohh one more thing, You wanna know who would be a best candidate to take over Nintendo?? .... None other then →→Reggie←← He would be perfect.

Yeah no Reggie definitely would not be my choice what exactly has he even done that makes him worthy for the position he is just a glorified PR guy 90% of the time.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

95. Posted:

CrabGats wrote:

I think Nintendo's decision to monetize on any video with their content is a bigger stab at their sales than Iwata being president. Gaming channels on Youtube are less reluctant to post videos on Nintendo games, and most of the gaming community resides in Youtube. People aren't making videos on the Wii U or 3DS because of it, therefore less attention is brought to the good games on their consoles.

You mean more right cause otherwise this makes no sense.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Azooooz

96. Posted:

UGXwolf wrote:

Action51 wrote:

I was on the fence about this, but I think Rich from ReviewTechUSA sort of put me over into the "he should probably be replaced" camp.

I like Satoru Iwata, I think he's a class act...that being said I'd prefer he step aside and let someone a little more in touch with western and youth culture step in. At the very least, he should appoint a new "director of console gaming" position and take a backseat for a while.

Why? Well...I think he may be the President we want, but not the President Nintendo needs right now. Iwata may be a bit too conservative in a time when Nintendo needs to fight harder against market forces that are very different then what they've dealt with in the past. I'd love more Donkey Kong Tropical Freezes and Super Mario 3D world type games, but I want more Metroid and Megaman type of games too. We want some new franchises too.

"Iwata is the CEO we want, so let's get rid of him!"
This is essentially what your argument boils down to.

Let me put it this way: You are the consumer. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't enjoy it. If Iwata's bad for the company, he'll be removed, but I think we're putting a lot more blame on the poor guy than he really deserves. After three successful consoles, we're just gonna give him the boot over one sub-par launch? After almost a decade of nothing but profit, we're just gonna condemn the man for a few bad years? The Wii U has barely had a chance to recover, and we're just gonna call time of death, already? No! We're going to give them our support. We're going to stand up for what we like and if it doesn't work out, then it just doesn't.

As the consumer, it is not our job to think about what's best from Nintendo, but what we want from Nintendo, and then to speak as loudly as we can with our wallets. If something doesn't sell, you can bet it'll be a long time before they revisit it, and they'll remember what went wrong so that it doesn't go wrong, again. You've just gotta have a little bit of faith, you know?

This. Plus, what I don't understand is that consumers nowadays speak like they are members of the Board of Directors or some sort of analysts, while they are supposed to do is to enjoy with what they have and deal with it.

Edited on by Azooooz

Pain is weakness, leaving the body.

But

Wii Fit U a day keeps you healthy and strong for days.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TexCube

97. Posted:

@Kaze ... Good points but I still believe that the buck stops with Iwata. As CEO he's done little to push the advertising of the Wii U. This is like me releasing a movie without any advertising or promotion. I'd have only myself to blame if it tanked. Iwata has knowingly failed to get the word out about exactly what it can do. We know what it can do because we visit gaming sites and forums, but the average consumer believes it's an add-on for the Wii. This isn't aimed at you, but I don't want to hear the argument from others when they ask "Who would replace him?" That's a silly question because there are countless qualified individuals in the industry, especially in Japan. Nintendo needs a forward thinker. Someone who doesn't release a machine that is already technologically inferior. The die hard Nintendo fans don't care about power. But in today's world the majority of consumers don't want their devices to be obsolete the moment they are released. Nintendo wants to make video games. I want Nintendo to make video games. But the time for gimmicks is over. Gimmicks are used to distract people. We've had the Wii with its motion gameplay, the 3DS with its 3D gimmickry, and the Wii U's with its Touch Screen controller. I just want to pick up a controller and play a game.

As for the Wii U. Let's look at a few things. 32 GB of built in storage at launch and in this day and time that's unforgivable. How about Nintendo still claiming people don't want the true online experience on their consoles and still refusing to follow suit on providing that because they feel they have to protect everyone under 8 years of age. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what parental controls are for? Iwata thinks the Wii mentality works for the Wii U. That it will sell based only on word of mouth. As long as he stays in power he won't lift a finger to change all that is wrong. If Nintendo's house doesn't get cleaned, it will be this exact reason that Nintendo will have to consider prostituting their franchises to all of the app stores. A new set of leaders will work to not let that happen.

Iwata is a leader who has let the world pass him by, Miyamoto too, and there is no shame in stepping down and moving on with life. The fans who have made Nintendo a success deserve better.

TexCube

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

98. Posted:

I'm sure by next year the Wii U will be on a roll ;)

Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MikeLove

99. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

I was on the fence about this, but I think Rich from ReviewTechUSA sort of put me over into the "he should probably be replaced" camp.

I like Satoru Iwata, I think he's a class act...that being said I'd prefer he step aside and let someone a little more in touch with western and youth culture step in. At the very least, he should appoint a new "director of console gaming" position and take a backseat for a while.

Why? Well...I think he may be the President we want, but not the President Nintendo needs right now. Iwata may be a bit too conservative in a time when Nintendo needs to fight harder against market forces that are very different then what they've dealt with in the past. I'd love more Donkey Kong Tropical Freezes and Super Mario 3D world type games, but I want more Metroid and Megaman type of games too. We want some new franchises too.

Why are you being so negative?

The Wii-U just experienced a fabulous 4.5% increase in sales as compared to this time last year! That is pretty excellent.

Based on this wonderful number, it's obvious that the Wii-U is experiencing a surge popularity and has 'really turned a corner'.

Why would you want Iwata-san to be fired? He has a family to feed! Have a heart!

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

100. Posted:

TexCube wrote:

@Kaze ... Good points but I still believe that the buck stops with Iwata. As CEO he's done little to push the advertising of the Wii U. This is like me releasing a movie without any advertising or promotion. I'd have only myself to blame if it tanked. Iwata has knowingly failed to get the word out about exactly what it can do. We know what it can do because we visit gaming sites and forums, but the average consumer believes it's an add-on for the Wii. This isn't aimed at you, but I don't want to hear the argument from others when they ask "Who would replace him?" That's a silly question because there are countless qualified individuals in the industry, especially in Japan. Nintendo needs a forward thinker. Someone who doesn't release a machine that is already technologically inferior. The die hard Nintendo fans don't care about power. But in today's world the majority of consumers don't want their devices to be obsolete the moment they are released. Nintendo wants to make video games. I want Nintendo to make video games. But the time for gimmicks is over. Gimmicks are used to distract people. We've had the Wii with its motion gameplay, the 3DS with its 3D gimmickry, and the Wii U's with its Touch Screen controller. I just want to pick up a controller and play a game.

As for the Wii U. Let's look at a few things. 32 GB of built in storage at launch and in this day and time that's unforgivable. How about Nintendo still claiming people don't want the true online experience on their consoles and still refusing to follow suit on providing that because they feel they have to protect everyone under 8 years of age. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what parental controls are for? Iwata thinks the Wii mentality works for the Wii U. That it will sell based only on word of mouth. As long as he stays in power he won't lift a finger to change all that is wrong. If Nintendo's house doesn't get cleaned, it will be this exact reason that Nintendo will have to consider prostituting their franchises to all of the app stores. A new set of leaders will work to not let that happen.

Iwata is a leader who has let the world pass him by, Miyamoto too, and there is no shame in stepping down and moving on with life. The fans who have made Nintendo a success deserve better.

This. So much this. You literally took the words right out of my mouth.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98