Forums

Topic: current gen or next gen

Posts 241 to 260 of 262

RR529

Yeah, Vita won't top 3DS in sales, and Sony never expected it to.

They know it's a premium device that's only going to appeal to a niche group of "hardcore" gamers, and it's meeting their expectations nearly as planned.

Back when he was here, @Bankai explained the Vita's place in the marketplace brilliantly. Not outselling 3DS isn't a failure for it, because it was never trying to do so in the first place.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I'd actually be willing to defend Vita but it's been over a year, so it's slowly becoming more difficult to do so. And sadly they don't seem to have anything coming out in America that I expect to help (read: Vita has potentially great games that aren't just sequels).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

As an owner of both the Wii U and 3DS, the Vita actually looks pretty kickin'. If I decide to go with a PS4 instead of the Xbox this time around, I'll definitely be picking one up. The connectivity between the Vita and PS are just light years beyond Nintendo is doing or has shown with the 3DS/Wii U.

rallydefault

Captain_Balko

rallydefault wrote:

As an owner of both the Wii U and 3DS, the Vita actually looks pretty kickin'. If I decide to go with a PS4 instead of the Xbox this time around, I'll definitely be picking one up. The connectivity between the Vita and PS are just light years beyond Nintendo is doing or has shown with the 3DS/Wii U.

You never know what Nintendo's got in their cap, though. Perhaps they'll begin to focus on connectivity as a way to sell the Wii U - since the 3DS install base is so large, they could appeal to people with a 3DS, try to give them a reason to buy the Wii U.

Captain_Balko

SCRAPPER392

Ya. You guys have basically told me PS Vita wasn't even trying to be sold. Sony most likely doesn't have as much money as they used to, so they can't strike contracts and other deals with companies to make deals. Also, hardly any advertising.
Believe me, if Sony gets too far behind financially, they won't be giving up their TV section for PS4. That's what they're actually good at.
As for cross play, Nintendo can actually do that now. 3DS and Wii U connectivity is possible, and a great place to start. I've already seen the 'cannot download, because a 3DS console is connected' notification. It happened when I was downloading the RE: Revelations demo.
You can't connect a 3DS at all, officially, yet, but I still saw this message. It's because RE: Revalations is a 3DS game, and it mistook the download as trying to load up a 3DS connection.
PS4 is PSP, Wii U is DS. How does everyone feel about that?

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

banacheck

Cannot wait for the PS4 in my eyes my Wii U is a VHS towards a Blu-Ray player, and probably pretty right in performance wise.

But that doesn't mean i dislike my Wii U, actually i'm pretty surprised this thread is still going.

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

SCRAPPER392

banacheck wrote:

Cannot wait for the PS4 in my eyes my Wii U is a VHS towards a Blu-Ray player, and probably pretty right in performance wise.

But that doesn't mean i dislike my Wii U, actually i'm pretty surprised this thread is still going.

You have to be trolling. The discs they use for gaming are basically the same on all the 8th gen consoles.
You're bringing up of my words had nothing to do with what you said at all.

EDIT: Also, ironically enough, Sony was actually the one making VHS players when SNES was around.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Midnight3DS

Come on, even Wii would class higher than VHS. Until we see legit in game PS4 action, who knows. Teasers are quite impressive though.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

RR529

SCAR392 wrote:

Ya. You guys have basically told me PS Vita wasn't even trying to be sold.

No, I said that Sony wasn't expecting Vita to outsell 3DS, which is a different statement than "Sony doesn't want the Vita to sell", as you somehow inexplicably infered from my statement.

Nintendo has dominated the handheld mass market since the Game Boy, and Sony knew they couldn't take it when they were making the Vita. That's why they designed it to be a premium product that would appeal to the niche market of "core" gamers, that want a home console quality experience on a portable. It's not as large as a group as the one 3DS attracts (Nintendo gamers & families), but it's still a large enough group to make a profit from in the long run.

Also, it has started to turn around in Japan, which itself is proof that the console isn't dead (and won't die). Again, it isn't outselling 3DS, but it has finally managed to find it's hold in the Japanese market, which will allow it to get a respectable amout of support from Japanese devs (which we may or may not see over here, depending on if the system turns around in the west as well).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SCRAPPER392

@RR529
3DS is hardcore and family friendly. That, and the fact that it has games is why it is selling. Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, VC, Pokemon, etc. family friendly hardcore games is why it sells. Hell, the eShop in general is bad a$$. I can still play DS games if I want, stylus touch controls are better, 3D, I can listen to music, it has 3D cameras, compatible with SD cards, more powerful than PSP while still retaining the DS appeal, more durable, Flipnote Hatena, etc. is why it sells.
Vita has nothing on 3DS, and it seems Sony wants to keep it that way. That's how it looks to me.
I've already said this, but I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 is the next PSP vs. DS scenario. We all know how that turned out...
Once Nintendo adds connectivity between 3DS and Wii U, Sony probably won't be able to handle the gaming market anymore.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

RR529

SCAR392 wrote:

@RR529
3DS is hardcore and family friendly. That, and the fact that it has games is why it is selling. Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, VC, Pokemon, etc. family friendly hardcore games is why it sells. Hell, the eShop in general is bad a$$. I can still play DS games if I want, stylus touch controls are better, 3D, I can listen to music, it has 3D cameras, compatible with SD cards, more powerful than PSP while still retaining the DS appeal, more durable, Flipnote Hatena, etc. is why it sells.
Vita has nothing on 3DS, and it seems Sony wants to keep it that way. That's how it looks to me.
I've already said this, but I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 is the next PSP vs. DS scenario. We all know how that turned out...
Once Nintendo adds connectivity between 3DS and Wii U, Sony probably won't be able to handle the gaming market anymore.

1. Yes, Nintendo's franchises appeal to the enormous market of families & Nintendo gamers, as I've already said.

2. I'm well aware of the 3DS' capabilities, as I have one & love it.

3. I never once said the Vita was a better system, or that it would outsell 3DS. I was just pointing out that despite the fact it appeals to a smaller group, that group is still large enough to profit from, and thus the system will still remain relevant (at least in Japan, where it is selling well).

Maybe this time you can take the time to read my comment, so you won't misinterpret it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

skywake

Umm... I'm pretty sure Sony didn't make the Vita with the intent of selling only 5mill units in its first year compared to 31Mill 3DS units thus far. At this stage in the PSP's life, which was also a premium product compared to the DS, it had sold 13Mill units compared to the DS' 19Mill. Lifetime sales for the PSP are 79Mill compared to 153Mill for DS so the DS had legs towards the end but the PSP was still in there. You think they didn't want to extend that success?

Also worth remembering that in the 3DS' dark days the Vita outselling the 3DS seemed entirely likely. That was definitely their intent and I'm damn sure that's what they were trying to do. The fact that Nintendo have won every handheld "console war" doesn't mean that nobody is trying to get a hold of the market.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
Putting it that way. PSP didn't do too bad, I guess. Vita is doing horrible though, and alot of it has to do with proprietary memory cards, no games, more expensive, and a mainly useless 3G service.
The 3G service isn't entirely a bad thing, I must admit, but Sony sold out to AT&T to do so, which definitely isn't something Nintendo would do. If Nintendo did 3G, it will most likely be free or paid directly through them for cheaper, and it won't be limited to gaming only.
Most will look these flaws over, but I'm not paying for memory cards, etc. things wrong with the Vita. It doesn't have dual analog sticks WITH buttons, which would seem like a no brainer.
I honestly question Sony's reasonings with Vita. I know people like it, and good for them, but even 3D beats OLED any day for me.
I heard none of the 1st party were all that great, and the crossplay games are on PS3, which I have, and I'm not impressed for the most part. 3DS overall has more capabilities sans graphics, which is better IMO.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

RR529

skywake wrote:

Umm... I'm pretty sure Sony didn't make the Vita with the intent of selling only 5mill units in its first year compared to 31Mill 3DS units thus far. At this stage in the PSP's life, which was also a premium product compared to the DS, it had sold 13Mill units compared to the DS' 19Mill. Lifetime sales for the PSP are 79Mill compared to 153Mill for DS so the DS had legs towards the end but the PSP was still in there. You think they didn't want to extend that success?

Also worth remembering that in the 3DS' dark days the Vita outselling the 3DS seemed entirely likely. That was definitely their intent and I'm damn sure that's what they were trying to do. The fact that Nintendo have won every handheld "console war" doesn't mean that nobody is trying to get a hold of the market.

I remember a story last summer (August to be more precise), where Kaz Hirai stated that the system's 2.2 million sales at the time were right on par with where they want them, and that they weren't expecting it to match the 3DS' sales.

Of course, using that particular comment as a source is probably outdated, and it could have very well been pure PR bloviating, so I'll go ahead and retract my comments about them not wanting to compete more heatedly with Nintendo's portable.

However, I still feel like it's inaccurate to say the Vita is a "dead" portable as some have stated, as it has turned around in Japan. It still has a way to go, sure, but dead simply isn't the right word to describe it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

skywake

Yeah, 5Mill is still something but I doubt it's where they wanted to be. Them saying otherwise is almost surely PR dribble which Sony are pretty damn good at. Well "good" in the sense that they do it a lot not "good" in the sense that it's convincing.

Don't be surprised if the PSVita is surprisingly hard to find at E3

Edited on by skywake

OptometristLime

Vita does/doesn't belong in this thread because it's analogous/disjoint to the Wii U and its sales expectations.

The Vita is selling well 'according to its designers expectations.' Then I see another poster rebuked for following that same line of reasoning with Wii U; neither side adheres to facts, it's just bizarre fanboy culture at work. People want Vita to succeed - that's cool, and that console takes a lot of heat. Is the Wii U any different?

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

skywake

The problem with that reasoning is that the Vita has more in common with the PS4/720 than it does with the Wii U. The Vita launched a year after the 3DS did at the time the 3DS was struggling to move units and it launched with the key selling point of being a higher performance device. The only similarity is that both the Wii U and Vita launched with inflated expectations in terms of sales. Neither have delivered.

Now this doesn't mean that the Wii U will do a 3DS and destroy the PS4/720 with a new Mario, Mario Kart and shiny Zelda remakes. I doubt that the PS4/720 will do anything but be reasonably popular especially when compared to the Vita. I just think it's more of a case of "wait and see" than "the writing's on the wall".

Edited on by skywake

dumedum

banacheck wrote:

Cannot wait for the PS4.

Me too. I'm always saying to myself I wish I had that Facebook button right here, and a mono speaker from the Wii age behind a laptop mousepad. Looks so awesome.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

LzWinky

OptometristLime wrote:

Vita does/doesn't belong in this thread because it's analogous/disjoint to the Wii U and its sales expectations.

The Vita is selling well 'according to its designers expectations.' Then I see another poster rebuked for following that same line of reasoning with Wii U; neither side adheres to facts, it's just bizarre fanboy culture at work. People want Vita to succeed - that's cool, and that console takes a lot of heat. Is the Wii U any different?

If the designers expected to sell 15k in one month for a relatively new device...then there is something wrong with the designer.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.