Forums

Topic: Anyone else angry about the Wii U?

Posts 201 to 220 of 277

LordChimpington

@K8sMum Oh I am sorry I should have written it more clearer I just was responding to them to guys saying nintendo copied ipad 2.

I just was saying how could they copy ipad 2 when nintendo had the touchscreen idea a long time before apple probably ever had it.

LordChimpington

theblackdragon

@TheGameMonkey28: HolyMackerel is taking MrMushroom987's comment to its logical conclusion — MrMushroom987 was the one complaining that Nintendo ripped off Apple.

That said, Apple has had touchscreen devices for waaaaaaay longer than the DS has been out — anyone else remember Newton?
Newton devices were held vertically, though, so i guess Nintendo can't be seen as ripping them off with this one :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

AirCop

So, the Wii U is 'confirmed' to be no more powerful than the PS360.

Course, it has also been 'confirmed' to be more powerful than the PS360.

Nobody knows, do they?

Can someone just confirm that nobody knows? Thanks.

AirCop

komicturtle

Well, I can confirm that nothing is indeed set in stone. Anything can change.

I feel like Nintendo revealed this a tad too early, but that's just me.

komicturtle

skywake

Wow, an "argument" over who invented the tablet? I mean really, Apple doesn't own the tablet or the smartphone. I'm a computing grad, I hang around people who are as obsessed with new tech as I am all the time.

I remember in 2005 me and my friends laughed at one of our other friends because he spent something like $2000 on an 11" laptop that didn't have an optical drive. He claimed that he didn't have any need for optical disks in 2005. He owned a very expensive netbook before we knew what a netbook was. At about the same time (remember the iPhone launched in 2007) about two or three people I knew had "PDA Phones". PDAs.... that included a phone.

Now tablets are another story entirely. I think before the iPad I had only seen one or two tablets "in the wild". They were there but they weren't exactly popular, a bit pretentious I thought. People who had a tablet were idiots with more money than sense and.... I guess that's still true! I remember reading an article in 2002 about how Windows XP was going to allow the tablet PC form factor to take over the world. Who would've thought a mobile OS and Apple of all companies would get us there!

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

Oh, and here is an article where WaltzElf and my ideas go hea...

For all the buzz around mobile and online gaming in Los Angeles this week, no-one is predicting the demise of consoles any time soon.

"It's not going to happen in the short term. There's still a massive reliance on physical goods and retail product, its not going to suddenly be abandoned," said Steinberg.

Philip Asher of games developer Trendy Entertainment said: "I don't think consoles are going to disappear, just evolve. Their function will be media, not purely games, and their input may be completely different."
"That said, I believe mobile games are completely changing the industry and directly competing with console games," he said, adding that games will have to evolve so they can cross between platforms.
"Many of these platforms will be able to play with each other; so, you can start your game on your console, continue it on the bus in your phone, and play it later in the office on your PC.
"Gaming will become more about content and less about the platform that content is on."

I'm fairly sure that Philip Asher was talking about cloud computing there. As attractive as the idea of cloud computing taking over gaming is, and it is a really cool idea, I think that hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper too quick for it to destroy the console market. I would expect that downloadable titles will eventually beat retail but, eventually, I would think that the hardware for a console at the plateau of graphics that we're rapidly reaching will be off the shelf stuff. Really cheap, like buying a new printer where the new printer is almost cheaper than the ink.

Edited on by skywake

Hokori

why would I hate Wii U?

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Meta-Rift

Pandalicious wrote:

MrMushroom987 wrote:

That controller is the only thing i'm mad about because they ripped off IPad 2 by like holding it sideways and only ONE touch screen.

You know the concept of the Wii U was initially developed in 2008 if I'm not mistaken, so Nintendo never copied Apple.

The iPad's development began before the iPhone's, but that comparison is still ridiculous. Touch screens have been around for a long time, and iPads can be used horizontally, too.

Meta-Rift

the_shpydar

theblackdragon wrote:

That said, Apple has had touchscreen devices for waaaaaaay longer than the DS has been out — anyone else remember Newton?

Heh, that was the first thing i thought of back when Apple originally annouced the iPhone: "oh, so it's a Newton with a phone, huh?"

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

HolyMackerel

@TheGameMonkey28 Uh, FYI it's impossible for the DS to have ripped off the iPad 2 since it came out a good 7 years before it. I disagree with MrMushroom987 and was pointing out how silly his stance was. Unless you're insinuating that Nintendo is capable of time travel. The plot thickens!

skywake wrote:

Wow, an "argument" over who invented the tablet?

There is no argument about that here. Just pointing out how ridiculous it is, at this stage of consumer technology, for anyone to say a touch-based device ripped off the iPad 2. By the above logic, even iPad ripped off iPad 2.

the_shpydar wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Heh, that was the first thing i thought of back when Apple originally annouced the iPhone: "oh, so it's a Newton with a phone, huh?"

Ahahaha so true!

HolyMackerel

Bankai

People who had a tablet were idiots with more money than sense and.... I guess that's still true!

I guess I must be stupid to have found a solution that's lighter, more useful, and cheaper than a reasonable laptop then.

I'm fairly sure that Philip Asher was talking about cloud computing there. As attractive as the idea of cloud computing taking over gaming is, and it is a really cool idea, I think that hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper too quick for it to destroy the console market. I would expect that downloadable titles will eventually beat retail but, eventually, I would think that the hardware for a console at the plateau of graphics that we're rapidly reaching will be off the shelf stuff. Really cheap, like buying a new printer where the new printer is almost cheaper than the ink.

Well, you are right in that he's talking about cloud computing (and other things, buy primarialy Cloud). I don't understand the rest of what you're on about. Commoditisation of hardware simply means that it will be easier to deliver cloud gaming services. And we're already seeing it happen with Sony Microsoft and smaller products, like OnLive.

Hardware already acts like printers - companies already sell them at a loss, and make it back on software licensing (or ink, to continue you analogy).

Cloud entertainment in general is, in the medium term, going to dominate.

Edited on by Bankai

Mandoble

@ZackNormandin, I do agree with you, but then, how would Nintendo compete vs Sony? Sony is already almost losing money for every PS3 they sell, but they can live with this, their traditional business is in TVs, DVDs, BRays, Cell phones, laptops ... This is not the case of Nintendo, and probably Nintendo already understand they cannot fight face to face vs Sony. Wii was being sold in Europe by 250€ when its building cost was 60$, building cost of PS3 was over 300$ and its price was almost lower than it. You cannot fight against this unless you aim to a fully different community, the casual players and these that says WOW when they see 3D in a handheld or when they play golf with the wmote. Do not expect anything else for the WiiU, tons games that are built based on a controller that Sony doesnt have yet, where the key is the controller and not the game itself.

Mandoble

skywake

WaltzElf wrote:

People who had a tablet were idiots with more money than sense and.... I guess that's still true!

I guess I must be stupid to have found a solution that's lighter, more useful, and cheaper than a reasonable laptop then

Yup, you sure are

WaltzElf wrote:

Well, you are right in that he's talking about cloud computing (and other things, buy primarialy Cloud). I don't understand the rest of what you're on about. Commoditisation of hardware simply means that it will be easier to deliver cloud gaming services. And we're already seeing it happen with Sony Microsoft and smaller products, like OnLive.

Hardware already acts like printers - companies already sell them at a loss, and make it back on software licensing (or ink, to continue you analogy).

Cloud entertainment in general is, in the medium term, going to dominate.

I didn't say that cloud computing wouldn't do well in the medium term and I have a feeling you misunderstood my "will be like printers" point. You can buy a low end printer for $40 including ink and ink the ink costs $20. It's almost cheaper to get a new printer when you run out of ink rather than buying the ink. We'll get to that point with game consoles.

The main attraction of something like Onlive is that you can get the power of a high end console for almost less than you pay for a game. In the US they sometimes even bundle the console with the game (rather than the game with the console). Do you think this can't happen with a full console eventually?

What happens when we get to the point in gaming hardware, which were getting really close to, where improvements in visuals are trivial. Presumably when we reach that point the first company will launch their console (PS4/720) and it will be at about the same price as we expect to pay for consoles now. What happens five, ten years after that? You'll have a console that'll sell at maybe about the price of a modern day Wii that'll do near photo-realistic graphics. Why would people care about a cloud service like OnLive? The era of gaming on-the-cloud will be almost over before it starts

Edited on by skywake

GameInfinite

Mandoble wrote:

@ZackNormandin, I do agree with you, but then, how would Nintendo compete vs Sony? Sony is already almost losing money for every PS3 they sell, but they can live with this, their traditional business is in TVs, DVDs, BRays, Cell phones, laptops ... This is not the case of Nintendo, and probably Nintendo already understand they cannot fight face to face vs Sony. Wii was being sold in Europe by 250€ when its building cost was 60$, building cost of PS3 was over 300$ and its price was almost lower than it. You cannot fight against this unless you aim to a fully different community, the casual players and these that says WOW when they see 3D in a handheld or when they play golf with the wmote. Do not expect anything else for the WiiU, tons games that are built based on a controller that Sony doesnt have yet, where the key is the controller and not the game itself.

After Wii U, it'll be PSU.

Unlocked everything for Smash 3DS!
NNID:CokeAlign
N3DS FC- 4313-2337-0977

Slapshot

@TBD Wow, I'd forgotten all about the Newton!

I really don't see Nintendo and Sony as competitors too much. They both do things so much differently. Don't take this offensively, but there is truth in this analogy I'm about to use. Swapping the companies from the gaming industry to the auto industry; Nintendo is like a Ford Mustand (affordable sports car, but yet powerful enough that anyone can afford and still have a great time in), Sony is like a Nissan 350 Z (pricey sports car for those with higher expendable income, extremely powerful, and only after the price dropped did you see the average drivers purchasing them). So they are in the same market - like the cars - but, only after a few years of the high-end systems becoming affordable mainstream systems.

The Wii U and iPad 2 - like it or not - are going to be near direct competition though. The reason is that these casual gamers that were dropping $90 on Wii Fit, likely already own an iPad, and the free/cheap games will likely keep many of them on their iPads instead of buying Wii U system.

Wii U will sell, there is no doubt about it. It's just that after the Wii, everyone either wanted an deep expansion of the Wii or something entirely new and innovative and if you were Twittering during the conference, Twitter exploded with "Nintendo Pad" content for hours on end, and Nintendo's poor presentation on it didn't do a good job of setting Wii U apart from the iOS/iPad market.

Hmm, should I play Game Center CX 2 (Retro Game Challenge 2), or The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX today?

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

default12345

I am not angry about the Wii U. I have full confidence in Nintendo.

If anyone doubts the Wii U I strongly suggest you buy the absolute joke that is an Xbox 360 and Kinect.

default12345

melechofsin

@slapshot: Don't know enough about these cars, but your comparisons are way off, and based on some misconceptions. Sony does not create higher end systems. They might think they do, but they don't. People talked about Nintendo's stock taking a hit, but Sony reached a 52-week low just now:
http://www.fnno.com/story/52-week-high-lows/331-sony-losing-s...

This is because Sony is doing pretty bad. Nintendo's market cap is bigger than Sony, although not by much currently. But still bigger. This means that Nintendo is capable of creating all these TV's, walkmans, DVD's whatever, if they choose too. They're just as big (or bigger). But they choose not to... theyre a better run company. In fact, I find it astounding how Sony behaves - releasing a portable gaming console now seems to be some sort of "for spite" against Nintendo than any sound mind. They're releasing a phone, tablets, at the same, essentially competing with itself all the time and losing tons of money.

The Wii U will be much stronger than the PS3, this we know, and it will be just that for a few years, if not many years, because I can't see Sony losing even more with a PS4 (will it sell together with the Move?... very lame. Move was a commercial failure, regardless of what Sony might say, and rightfully so... no wii remote speaker, no motion on nunchuk, no better accuracy than WM+ (yes I tried), no IR aiming... yeah).

Now here's the thing. Yes, the Wii was underpowered. The Wii U isn't. And yes the NGP Vita is more powered, but lacks 3D, so that's automatically worse in my book, including graphics for that reason. That's the main thing to distinguish portable console from phones and Ipods. So why did Wii choose that way? To appeal to a more commercial access level or something? No. It chose because it doesn't see it that console inferior in any way, and the 86 millions of fans, some casual, some hardcore, agree. The game experience is much better on Nintendo according to Nintendo - and I tend to Agree.

Nintendo makes money on their Zeldas, Donkeys, Kirbys, Marios and Pokemons. That's the money Sony is not making. That's the better quality of Nintendo. There is no such thing in cars. It's a different product.

Hopefully millions of kids will buy those again. Millions of fans will buy those again. And millions of people who bought Wii Fit and other titles will want simply an HD upgrade with a tablet, because now they have an HDTV. That's all there is to it.

melechofsin

Knux

WaltzElf wrote:

Perhaps you should learn how to read then. I said the Wii U will be a tough sell to casuals, not that it would be a failure. Casuals who don't really want a dedicated gaming console now they can get their fix out of other devices. The iPad and iPhone have a reasonable bunch of games now, and casuals don't really need much more.

The Wii U might just be able to attract back a core audience. Then it'll do fine for itself.

Also, for that who cares RE multifunction devices: the market cares. The market's interests do not equal your own, and there is a reason multifunctional devices are what everyone is oncoming out with these days - that's what the mass market wants.

Pray tell Waltz, how do you know all of this? Oh, and your iPad and iPhone are overrun with shovelware just like the WiiWare and DSiWare services are, but yet you praise it like it is perfect. I would NEVER judge a console that we barely know anything about, which is exactly what you are doing. For all you know, the Wii U can attract both casual and hardcore gamers. If that's the case, then Nintendo succeeds. Of course, we will not know anything for sure until the Wii U's launch.

Edited on by Knux

Knux

HolyMackerel

WaveBoy wrote:

But what I'll have a hard time getting over, is if Nintendo decides to pump out 720p games instead of 1080p.

Everything I've read about the Wii U indicates it will render at native 1080p. Of course, it's up to the developers of the games themselves if they want to render them at 720p instead, but with the higher resolution quickly becoming the standard I wouldn't be surprised if all games on the Wii U supported proper 1080p output.

HolyMackerel

Gamesake

ZackNormandin wrote:

Now Lets announce a new Wii console, which is a Wii with upgraded features

It is kind of funny when you consider online magazines like IGN have been telling us for years not to expect the next Nintendo console to simply be an HD Wii--and what does it end up being? An HD continuation of the Wii. It's not such a bad idea to inherit the old controllers though, that strategy will save people money as opposed to going the DualShock3 route by making a "new" Wii Remote Plus U.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.