Wii U Forum

Topic: Anyone else angry about the Wii U?

Showing 221 to 240 of 292

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

221. Posted:

@TBD Wow, I'd forgotten all about the Newton! :O

I really don't see Nintendo and Sony as competitors too much. They both do things so much differently. Don't take this offensively, but there is truth in this analogy I'm about to use. Swapping the companies from the gaming industry to the auto industry; Nintendo is like a Ford Mustand (affordable sports car, but yet powerful enough that anyone can afford and still have a great time in), Sony is like a Nissan 350 Z (pricey sports car for those with higher expendable income, extremely powerful, and only after the price dropped did you see the average drivers purchasing them). So they are in the same market - like the cars - but, only after a few years of the high-end systems becoming affordable mainstream systems.

The Wii U and iPad 2 - like it or not - are going to be near direct competition though. The reason is that these casual gamers that were dropping $90 on Wii Fit, likely already own an iPad, and the free/cheap games will likely keep many of them on their iPads instead of buying Wii U system.

Wii U will sell, there is no doubt about it. It's just that after the Wii, everyone either wanted an deep expansion of the Wii or something entirely new and innovative and if you were Twittering during the conference, Twitter exploded with "Nintendo Pad" content for hours on end, and Nintendo's poor presentation on it didn't do a good job of setting Wii U apart from the iOS/iPad market.

Hmm, should I play Game Center CX 2 (Retro Game Challenge 2), or The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX today?

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

222. Posted:

I can get over the U....One day.lol :p
But what I'll have a hard time getting over, is if Nintendo decides to pump out 720p games instead of 1080p. This entire generation PS3 and 360 owners had to put up with this BS upscaling, since the majority of those titles were 720p. Besides 720p displays are all fixed resolutions of 1024x768 or 1366x768, either way there's scaling...and if you had a 1080p HDTV, then there was even more scaling. It's guaranteed that PS4 titles for example Will be at least 1080p, or the 148584884p that Slapshot was mentioning earlier hehe. :p

But yup! Nintendo needs to realise that the majority of HDTV's that are for sale are 1080p...Somehow, i have a bad feeling Nintendo will in fact opt for 720p titles, which is odd....Considering the Wii U's not packing that much more horse power than the PS3 I'm guessing. I just want 1080p games, so they'll match perfectly with the 50"/51" 1080p 3D Plasma i plan on getting before the Wii U launches next year. Lag is another thing i'm worried about, and hopefully Plasma will soon match the motion of a CRT....Here's hoping.

Also, most 720p displays(fixed res aside) don't quite stack up to the higher end 1080p displays in terms of PQ. So if Wii U games are in fact 720p, i don't think I'd want to even go for a 50" 720 display, knowing that the higher end 1080p displays sport better processing, Color and black levels aside from 1080p.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

default12345

223. Posted:

I am not angry about the Wii U. I have full confidence in Nintendo.

If anyone doubts the Wii U I strongly suggest you buy the absolute joke that is an Xbox 360 and Kinect.

default12345

AuthorMessage

melechofsin

224. Posted:

@slapshot: Don't know enough about these cars, but your comparisons are way off, and based on some misconceptions. Sony does not create higher end systems. They might think they do, but they don't. People talked about Nintendo's stock taking a hit, but Sony reached a 52-week low just now:
http://www.fnno.com/story/52-week-high-lows/331-sony-losing-s...

This is because Sony is doing pretty bad. Nintendo's market cap is bigger than Sony, although not by much currently. But still bigger. This means that Nintendo is capable of creating all these TV's, walkmans, DVD's whatever, if they choose too. They're just as big (or bigger). But they choose not to... theyre a better run company. In fact, I find it astounding how Sony behaves - releasing a portable gaming console now seems to be some sort of "for spite" against Nintendo than any sound mind. They're releasing a phone, tablets, at the same, essentially competing with itself all the time and losing tons of money.

The Wii U will be much stronger than the PS3, this we know, and it will be just that for a few years, if not many years, because I can't see Sony losing even more with a PS4 (will it sell together with the Move?... very lame. Move was a commercial failure, regardless of what Sony might say, and rightfully so... no wii remote speaker, no motion on nunchuk, no better accuracy than WM+ (yes I tried), no IR aiming... yeah).

Now here's the thing. Yes, the Wii was underpowered. The Wii U isn't. And yes the NGP Vita is more powered, but lacks 3D, so that's automatically worse in my book, including graphics for that reason. That's the main thing to distinguish portable console from phones and Ipods. So why did Wii choose that way? To appeal to a more commercial access level or something? No. It chose because it doesn't see it that console inferior in any way, and the 86 millions of fans, some casual, some hardcore, agree. The game experience is much better on Nintendo according to Nintendo - and I tend to Agree.

Nintendo makes money on their Zeldas, Donkeys, Kirbys, Marios and Pokemons. That's the money Sony is not making. That's the better quality of Nintendo. There is no such thing in cars. It's a different product.

Hopefully millions of kids will buy those again. Millions of fans will buy those again. And millions of people who bought Wii Fit and other titles will want simply an HD upgrade with a tablet, because now they have an HDTV. That's all there is to it.

melechofsin

AuthorMessage

Knux

225. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

Perhaps you should learn how to read then. I said the Wii U will be a tough sell to casuals, not that it would be a failure. Casuals who don't really want a dedicated gaming console now they can get their fix out of other devices. The iPad and iPhone have a reasonable bunch of games now, and casuals don't really need much more.

The Wii U might just be able to attract back a core audience. Then it'll do fine for itself.

Also, for that who cares RE multifunction devices: the market cares. The market's interests do not equal your own, and there is a reason multifunctional devices are what everyone is oncoming out with these days - that's what the mass market wants.

Pray tell Waltz, how do you know all of this? Oh, and your iPad and iPhone are overrun with shovelware just like the WiiWare and DSiWare services are, but yet you praise it like it is perfect. I would NEVER judge a console that we barely know anything about, which is exactly what you are doing. For all you know, the Wii U can attract both casual and hardcore gamers. If that's the case, then Nintendo succeeds. Of course, we will not know anything for sure until the Wii U's launch.

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

226. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

But what I'll have a hard time getting over, is if Nintendo decides to pump out 720p games instead of 1080p.

Everything I've read about the Wii U indicates it will render at native 1080p. Of course, it's up to the developers of the games themselves if they want to render them at 720p instead, but with the higher resolution quickly becoming the standard I wouldn't be surprised if all games on the Wii U supported proper 1080p output.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

227. Posted:

ZackNormandin wrote:

Now Lets announce a new Wii console, which is a Wii with upgraded features

It is kind of funny when you consider online magazines like IGN have been telling us for years not to expect the next Nintendo console to simply be an HD Wii--and what does it end up being? An HD continuation of the Wii. It's not such a bad idea to inherit the old controllers though, that strategy will save people money as opposed to going the DualShock3 route by making a "new" Wii Remote Plus U.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Malkeor

228. Posted:

This...isn't a Wii....guys
I mean it's a NEW console, they just chose to pass on the Wii branding. This is in part to the casual crowd i'm sure.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

AuthorMessage

Burning_Spear

229. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

An HD continuation of the Wii. It's not such a bad idea to inherit the old controllers though, that strategy will save people money as opposed to going the DualShock3 route by making a "new" Wii Remote Plus U.

I think that's why they're still bundling games with Wii remotes. Get as many as possible out there so people won't feel overwhelmed by upgrading to Wii U.

Edited on by Burning_Spear

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

230. Posted:

It's a new console with a controller that seems to have gone in a different yet unique direction. I'm still not entirely sold on the idea, but i guess you have to get your hands on the controller to actually so the creative potential that has grindin up.

But it's funny, for example....That baseball clip during the e3 trailer....ya it's pretty cool how the touch screen on the controller acts as another window in the game world, like in this game you're seeing through your Pitchers perspective, but the big downside is that you're simply pressing a button to throw the ball...Doesn't that swerve into being archiac as far as gameplay goes? With the Wii remote you would of actually thrown the ball, by making a 1:1 gesture with the wii remote...But you can't do this, while looking through a touch screen at the same time....Already there are restrictions, it's like an innovtative step backwards and forward at the same time.

The U controller seems cool and unique in it's own way but it's sacrifced a couple of things that make it inferior to the Wii remote. It's big, and it's really a giant classic controller with a bunch of bells and wistles added in....Gyro controls, rumble feedback, touch screen, camera's ect, and of course it's got an IR piece at the end of it like the Wii remote....But this controller is tied together....you'll never feel like you're holding a sword with this device. But this is where the Wii remote Plus and nunchuck come in, which i have a feeling I'll be using a lot for certain types of games regarding first person titles, or 3rd games that require aiming or 1:1 combat.

I think Pikmin 3 would be great for the Wii U, because you could use the controller's IR for aiming the reticule, plus do a bunch of other creative things with the controller itself.

At this point, I wish developers will use the wii remote as an alternative control method for the types of genre's that worked so brilliantly on the Wii, and i would love to see Nintendo release a Wireless Nunchuck and Wireless Classic controller. Those need an updated! :p

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

231. Posted:

WiiU is an upgraded Wii. Just as PS3 is an upgraded PS2 and 360 an upgraded Xbox.

Soon, PS4 will be an upgraded PS3, as a 720 an upgraded 360.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

232. Posted:

komicturtle92 wrote:

WiiU is an upgraded Wii. Just as PS3 is an upgraded PS2 and 360 an upgraded Xbox.

Soon, PS4 will be an upgraded PS3, as a 720 an upgraded 360.

NES -> SNES
N64 -> GameCube
Wii -> Wii U

Not a huge surprise, really.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

233. Posted:

Exactly.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

pntjr

234. Posted:

Highwinter wrote:

... the fact you can only have one of these controllers connected at a time seriously hampers multiplayer aspects.

I HATE MY LIFE AND I WANNA DIE, I AIN'T GOT NO MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk
But are u seriously serious right now?

Edited on by pntjr

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

235. Posted:

I hope Chase Mii ends up being a real game. Hopefully, those sweet games will end up built in the console for instant multiplayer fun (I already have 6 Wii motes lol).

I'm wicked excited for this.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

SteveW

236. Posted:

You hate motion controls? after playing all the zapper compatible first person shooters, especially Goldeneye, going back to a regular joystick would suck. Wii may not have 1080p resolution but the controls are the first console to beat the PC's mouse when it comes to first person shooters. I only wish the Wii U would improve it some, make it calibrate better to the screen.

SteveW

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

237. Posted:

Even if the Wii U is 1080p, very few games outside of first party will actually utilize it. Most PS3 games run at 720p to keep the games the same as they are on the Xbox 360. ;)

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

238. Posted:

Wii U Smash Bros. >>>>>>>>>>> 1080p nonsense.

I want to have backstage passes to see Smash Bros. in development for this console D:

It's a helluva lot more important to me than the console being HD and whatnot. Oh please, don't take more than 3 years to make it.... I'm really anxious to get my hands on Wii U itself- and even more to see how WiiU and 3DS cross-platform works!

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

239. Posted:

@komicturtle92 I'm actually way more excited to have a Smash Bros on 3DS! I mean, ITS SMASH BROS IN FLIPPING 3D! What's not to love, and I can take it with me Everywhere! :)

Edited on by Slapshot

AuthorMessage

pntjr

240. Posted:

I am not angry (Well a little) But i expected more from Nintendo then this. But that doesn't mean you write a long angry hate post about it.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx