Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,721 to 34,740 of 44,946

EvilLucario

@OorWullie Well it depends on what you don't like about Mega Man. I'm not big on Mega Man classic and Mega Man X, but Mega Man Zero is fantastic and something I go back to constantly. For me, while Zero is much more difficult than classic and X, the combat is much more satisfying and the entire game just feels better than Mega Man X in almost every way, at least imo.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Nemodius

@link3710 thankfully I purchased it used for $17 at GameStop, on a special sale for Elite members, it's a fun game but God awful short, I mean even trying to find all of the secrets in each level, I beat the game in three hours, I thought it was a joke, then it opened up two new secret world, but yet still, poof, they blew by faster than a chiuawa in a category 5 tornado

the only reason I didn't trade it back to GS is they would only give me like $5, I think the various GBA ones were more fulfilling

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

toiletduck

@jhewitt3476 Beat Kirby to 100% in three hours? Wow, I think if all I had to do was walking to the right side, go through the correct doors en beat the boss as fast as possible in each level, I'd still need +6 hours to complete the game. I think it's bit meatier than you're suggesting here

toiletduck

Nemodius

@toiletduck no, I beat the base stages and most hidden switches and puzzle pieces in 3, the extra revealed content after beating story mode 100% 1 more hour (3&4 hour)
I was playing a relaxed game in a hard core mindset, so yah, maybe I blew through it, but it was still far too short either way, I might have been ok if the individual levels themselves were larger/longer, but they were just far too small to have less than 12/world

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Grumblevolcano

I finished DOOM, very good overall but disappointing final boss (about as disappointing as the BotW final boss). Not at 100% completion (missed out on a load of secrets) but I'll do that another time, still got lots of backlog and I need Bayonetta 1+2 finished before December 6th.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@jhewitt3476 Looking at the speed run boards, you came close to making it on the list with that time. That's honestly kind of impressive. I know it took me 5-6 hours for the main story, and 6-7 on extras so far.

link3710

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I played all the Castlevanias (well 2 left me frustrated after I was right at a save point and had to turn it off and lost all my progress after I was already frustrated and just never went back.) But Lost Levels was always something I saw as impossible and imagined nobody could actually play it

@subpopz Mario 3 still seems fine to me even with NES:O and joycons... shrug. But I do agree, I was amazed how much MM11 controlled better with the Pro....but it just wasn't the pro, it was the big screen too (and/or maybe something about the Switch rendering? It seemed more fluid docked...) And I do have the obscenely priced set of NES controllers on the way (I couldn't resist....wish they were wired in some ways, though. I won't use them enough to justify the battery wear.) Now if only I could use my NES advantage it'll be just like the old days. I have the HORI HRAP...maybe that works in a pinch.

I haven't played Celeste (or Super Meat Boy, or Dead Cells, before you ask ) so I can't comment on those.

MM11 really does rely on memorization though. It's amazing how you can blast through a room by knowing where to shoot before something pops out and how much easier that makes it, and/or knowing to speed through a set of conveyors/platforms/etc the moment you enter the room without stopping to shoot by knowing exactly where to go in advance. Not being able to observe and react and/or plan really isn't a great platformer design. I suppose I can see how some people got hooked on it, especially back in the day, but...it really is pretty cheap with all the projectiles. And the fact that projectiles don't have fixed trajectories but are adjusted to aim for you, such as the axe throwers in the construction yard.

What's telling is that the super easy noob mode doesn't really make the game much easier. It makes it easier to get through by brute forcing from checkpoints with double damage and infinite lives, but the game itself is still tough as nails because of the systems, and even on noob mode bosses devastate you until you figure out some way to handle them. What the mode does give you is a chance to memorize the game to replay it normally later.

I see the hook though, but I think MM is a different kind of "hard" than Souls filled with cheap deaths, bullet hell, and that really awful stun/knockback when you get hit that easily throws you off ledges through no direct fault of your own, and with only 2 starting lives that makes it that much cheaper. Bosses with screen filling attacks and no safe space to observe patterns means learning a boss consists of nothing other than re-doing a level endlessly just to get to see him for a few seconds a few times (unless you play on noob mode.) These days people probably do watch Youtube to see how these things are done and learn from others what to do which really changes the script on what "hard" is....back in the day you had to figure it out on your own by trying it over and over. That's how I'm still playing this, but it's now visibly antiquated and frustrating to do (outside of noob mode.) Once you DO memorize a level it can be fun to try to do.....I think it's kind of a series that's "accidentally good." As an actual platform it fails on all levels. Yet as a biproduct it created a way to play that I can see how it might actually be fun. Now that's intentional in the design but I suspect back in the 80's it was an accidental success of what otherwise was technically a terrible game. Having done noob mode, and having done one or two levels several times I'm finding those levels kind of fun to try (but the boss, not so much.)

@ReaderRagfish I haven't played Super Meat Boy, but if it's as you described, that sounds not only "not hard" but "easy"....if something lets me instantly respawn and keep retrying a challenge infinitely, there's no challenge in a game I can't beat. Anything that doesn't let me retry instantly is rage inducing (that includes Hollow Knight....I'd love to keep retrying that first boss, but having to slog from the checkpoint just makes me ready to snap a controller by the time I have 3 seconds to try to learn his patterns.) Making me do a whole level again? No....and the stress knowing I HAVE to get it right this time or restart makes me that much less likely to get it right. But what you describe of Meat Boy does sound the opposite of "hard."

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Lost Levels is actually my least favorite Mario game because there are instances where its challenge can err on the side of bullcrap, but I still really like the game.

Castlevania II isn't really BAD bad, just obtuse as hell and not very interesting.

@subpopz You're not in the minority about the D-Pad, there are a bunch of people who complain about the Joy-Con D-Pad who don't split Joy-Cons for local multiplayer and etc. It's just for me I really like segmented buttons. But there are ton of other people that think otherwise.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

link3710

@subpopz You could get one of those Joy-cons with a d-pad then? They only work in handheld mode, but it sounds like that's better for you anyways.

link3710

NEStalgia

@subpopz Haha yeah I remember the stories about Ninja Gaiden....shudder

I hear you about playing mostly handheld. It's disappointing that it almost feels like MM11 isnt' a game that wants to be played handheld. Pro is nice but I seem to rarely use it. FWIW some of the most premium controllers (Razer tournament editions in particular) have segmented D-pads as well. Not sure I'd want to platform on them though. For shooters segmented is considered an advantage since you need fixed directions for weapon switches etc. Razer Ultimate editions come with an X360 type cross-disc and a pseudo-segmented sett that are interchangeable.....it's ok but ultimately isn't perfect at either method.

NEStalgia

IceClimbers

Nice to see Guacamelee and it's sequel come to Switch. Now where's Olli Olli 1 and 2?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

EvilLucario

Guacamelee is a ton of fun. A nice, easy Metroidvania with a pretty awesome combat system that's kinda like Smash Bros except enough wrinkles to not make it just a cross between Metroid and Smash Bros.

I'd imagine Guacamelee 2 is more of the same, which is all you really need.

JaxonH

Guacamelee and Guacamelee 2.

2 more games reported to have "no plans at the moment". I'm noticing a pattern...

Voice Chat Solved
So, I gotta rave about a headset that FINALLY solves the voice chat problem on Switch. It's called the Arctis 3 with Bluetooth. Heard Brian Altano on Nintendo Voice Chat (NVC) podcast talk about them. So I had to get a pair.

And oh my gosh, they work EXACTLY as advertised. Connect to Switch via headphone jack, be it docked or handheld, and connect to phone via bluetooth, and it mixes the audio between them. Volume is loud (a complaint I had with a previous headset) and the program for it on PC lets you set level of volume compression and gate thresholds to filter out background noise.

It's super crisp and clear, and solves the voice chat mixing audio with multiple cables, cords and splitter. None of that is needed with this headset.

A+++++++

I can now play Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate every day after work and voice chat via Discord, leaving my phone sitting on its wireless charger on the nightstand with the screen off, and voice chat with mixed audio from the game and phone, with only one single cable plugged in the headphone jack. If you want to voice chat on Switch, you need this headset!

(SteelSeries, please send my check by mail asap)

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

NEStalgia

@JaxonH That's funny, I could have told you that months ago! I've had the Arctis 3 for some time, though I don't actually do voice chat, I just bought it because I needed a wireless closed back can to accompany my open backs, and I loved the utility of using it as a BT receiver for music from my phone, plus the replaceable batteries!

Still kind of convoluted with needing to sync the phone at all, but, yeah, it does work. Also, FWIW, it does support USB Audio if you plug it into the Switch dock and put it on PS4 mode. I'm kind of surprised Switch supports USB audio, but it does, and bypasses the onboard DAC if you have any audiophile tendencies.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

GAME is cancelling Black Ops 4 midnight launches in favour of letting you get the game 6 hours before midnight, I hope they do the same for Smash Ultimate.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nemodius

@Grumblevolcano
not to be dismissive, but "bfd" ??? (I used lower case on purpose because it really is "bfd")
6pm, 12am, or next day, does it really matter ???

are people's bungholes squeezed so tight that if they did do a midnight or even next day their buttholes would spring off and explosions of diarrhea spew out like Kilauea ???

I don't really see why a few hours earlier would matter any more either

NEStalgia

@jhewitt3476 NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW I WANNIT NOW NOW NOW I WANNIT I WANNIT I WAAAAANNIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!! GIMMEEE IT NOOOOOWWWWW!

ahem that was my impression of the mating call of the gamer in its natural habitat.

Did you miss the beauty of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and the "Pay us $40 and get a 3 day early access?" I'm not sure what it is about gamers and the gamer instant gratification personality that's so easily exploited, but....it seems like any amount of money for a few hours earlier access is completely acceptable and "same day" is far too late. It's really sad to see. Everyone in this hobby seems like a spoiled 6 year old on Christmas morning.

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia Wait seriously, that's a thing? What the heck. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll probably be playing Smash Bros Ultimate midnight on launch day, but that's mainly because I'll be up anyways and I'm getting it digitally. Other than that one game though... I mean I even get that going to a midnight launch can be fun because you meet other people who are excited about the game. But paying $40 to get a game early? What... what the heck.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic