Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,741 to 34,760 of 43,557

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Basically you get some games early if you buy the special editions. Microsoft started this trend with Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 and Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Editions and then some companies like Ubisoft copied.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nemodius

@NEStalgia
perhaps my patience came with age, but other than waiting for 8+ hours in 500 foot+ lines outside of a movies theater to watch Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi back in the 80's, lots of people with portable BBQ grills and many more selling can drinks for $2 ea., I can't remember ever doing, seeing or even hearing about people going nuts for any games

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano wrote:

GAME is cancelling Black Ops 4 midnight launches in favour of letting you get the game 6 hours before midnight, I hope they do the same for Smash Ultimate.

Uhm, so what? I've only done one "midnight release", and that was for Final Fantasy XIII. A game which I do enjoy, btw. But I don't have a car. Which means I had to take the bus out to where Gamestop's store is located at around 3pm. Then hang out in the area until midnight. Then, because the guy who was suppose to give me a lift home in exchange for being able to borrow the game in a week was too busy playing Halo 2 multiplayer, I had to walk from one end of town to the other. A trip of about 4 miles or so, partly along a highway. And almost entirely up hill. By the time I got home I was exhausted, I had blood blisters on top of normal blisters on my feet, had almost been hit by drunk drivers six times, and i was seriously pissed at the person who had promised to give me a lift home.

That was the first, last, and only time I bothered with a "midnight release".

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Octane

If you can wait months or years on a game, I assume you'd be fine waiting another six hours.

I don't even get midnight releases. I'm not going to play a game at midnight, I'm tired at point, I want to sleep. Playing in a miserable state means I will have forgotten most of it the next day too.

Octane

EvilLucario

Oh man I'm the opposite. When I got Metroid: Samus Returns and Xenoblade 2: Torna, I stayed up the entire night, rip roaring and ready to go and played for like the entire time.

Guess I'm personally much too ravenous to wait even longer lel.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

The reason I'm hoping Smash Ultimate can be picked up early is because of The Game Awards. Play it while waiting for The Game Awards start and during boring segments. The event finishes rather late too unless they're cutting it shorter this year.

On another note, I've been replaying the first few levels of Bayonetta to remind myself of story/controls and it runs very well in handheld mode.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
I have the newer 2019 model.

No batteries, it has 28 hour life when Bluetooth is on, and recharged via micro USB.

Syncing to phone is literally as easy as tapping the Bluetooth button on my phone. Bluetooth turns on and the headset automatically syncs. Not only is it not convoluted, it's one of the easiest, hassle free syncs of any device I've used.

I haven't tried audio from switch via USB. I just plug it in the Switch headphone jack. Works when it's docked, and it works in handheld mode. And sounds great! So I haven't really had any motivation to do it any other way. By keeping the headphone jack cord attached it works in both modes, rather than just docked with USB.

You don't know how freaking happy I was when I got this thing working though. Oh man... I was just blown away at the voice chat issue on switch being completely obliterated into nothingness. I took that little Hori splitter and chucked it in the garbage. Audios!

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane I can do midnight launches...mainly because I work nights so I'm up anyway...

Only ever been to one retail midnight launch though. November 28th 2014, for Smash, amiibo and Pokemon Omega Ruby.

I had work the next day.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@link3710 if theres anything more fun than meeting sweaty neck beards in the middle of the night in a dark parking lot, I've certainly never found it.

@Grumblevolcano i hadn't realized ms started that mess. Ugh! A black mark against them for sure!

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Octane
Ya I have to agree. By the time 10pm hits, the eyelids are droopy, the cane starts feeling heavy and my feet can't move the rocking chair any more. Midnight release? Eh heh, ya I tried doing that the last few times. Didn't make it past 10:30pm.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate what is the last game that I stayed up all night for. Drove to a Walmart 30 minutes away because mine wasn't 24 hours, and I bought a New 3DS and MH4U, got home around 1am and stayed up playing it until sunrise.

I'd like to say I do it again, but the truth is, I didn't even do it for World or Gen Ultimate. And if those games can't get me to stay up anymore, nothing will.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII

Jesus is Lord.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH ooops, i was thinking it was the 3 but mine is the arctis pro wireless. It has a base receiver that can do usb audio for switch and ps4 (but not x1) and also does dts headphone on 5.1 signals, replaceable batteries, etc. It's fully wireless (minus some quality from the wired pro).

The switch functionality is the same though, other than being wireless, and the fact it can do usb audio.

Tbh my favorite feature is the batteries. 2 li batts, magnetic battery cover, and a spare charger in the base unit

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
So yours connects via Bluetooth and mixes audio on Switch even in handheld mode?

I read the adapter for the 3.5mm headphone jack disabled it or something, which is why they came out with the new model targeted for switch users. Like, you could get it to work when Switch was in the dock, but it wouldn't have surround sound without some work around, and then in handheld it wouldn't connect via Bluetooth, or it would but the mic wouldn't work or something?

Idk. If it works for you then that's all that matters. But I know something was going on with those older models and the switch that they put out the newer model advertising compatibility.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

I do midnight launches all the time!

On an unrelated note, digital distribution is a wonderful thing.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

link3710

@NEStalgia Yeah, seems my experience at a midnight launch was definitely better than yours from the sounds of it. Of course, the last time I did one... I think it was when Pokemon Black and White came out.

link3710

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@link3710 Basically you get some games early if you buy the special editions. Microsoft started this trend with Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 and Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Editions and then some companies like Ubisoft copied.

Technically, no that's not true. Microsoft adopted the idea from MMOs, which have a tendency to give open beta keys or a few days early access on the live servers to those who pre-order them. Champions, DC Universe Online, Age of Conan, The Secret World, and D&D Online had done such stuff long before Microsoft decided to try it.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@JaxonH yeah, i was confused with the models. Arctis pro doesnt use the 3.5 at all, it uses usb on the dock. I don't think theres a 2019 version of pro, but I've never tried it with handheld. So it's possible there's an issue with the 3.5 adapter and bt since it needs to run through the base dac for bt. Personally for my use i don't see that being an issue only becausei don't see myself in a situation wherei want to be handheld but also want bulky headphones.... If I'm good with bulky cans im likely at the couch, and if I'm not at the couch i can't imagine wanting bulky cans. But, then, if i were into vc, maybe id have a situation where I'd want it. Still, any handheld situation implies being somewhere others are present and talking into a mic with large closed cans seems somehow inappropriate

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

Turns out the GAME early release of Black Ops 4 is because of a 50GB update you have to download to play. I wonder if that's part of the already confirmed 100GB file size or in addition to.

Grumblevolcano

DarthNocturnal

@Grumblevolcano

They confirmed the total file size was around 55 GBs. The 100 GBs is likely only on PC, and even then, is only required for the installation process.

Since BLOPS 4 on PC uses Battle.net, you could probably just redeem the code it's likely to have, and then just install the already patched digital version, and use the disc as a coaster.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal So 50GB disc install + 50GB day 1 update then? Or is the disc basically just a physical key and you have 0GB disc install + 50GB day 1 update?

Grumblevolcano

DarthNocturnal

@Grumblevolcano

Again, total file size after all is said and done is 55 GBs. It's like that major Halo MCC update; you're basically reinstalling the game (assuming the disc actually does contain a build of the game. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't though).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic