Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,701 to 34,720 of 43,511

Grumblevolcano

Most of my DOOM deaths so far have been in the first hell level and rune trials.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nemodius

@Grumblevolcano
I've hit a dead zone in DOOM in the third or forth lvl where for the life of me I cannot find how to continue

death for me came from being lost, a far more frustrating death, if you die physically, at least you can reload, get lost and that's it, I've tried using walkthroughs, but can't seem to find my way out

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

IceClimbers

US eShop chart update: Super Mario Party is #1, Mega Man 11 is #3, Dragon Ball FighterZ is #5, VC4 is #16, FIFA 19 is #18, and South Park Stick of Truth is #21.

Not bad at all. I think FighterZ will have some decent legs to it, better than some of the upcoming October releases like Warriors Orochi 4 or Lego DC Supervillains.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tsurii

Really like how well FighterZ and Mario Party seem to do tbh. Both games look great and people seem to like em a lot. Makes me look forward to getting both down the line all the more (can't splurge on big releases too often these coming months with some more important big money sinks coming up)

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

PikPi

So I'm very much enjoying super Mario party. It's seems to actively work against me at times, but I don't mind it. It's been a while since I'd had so much fun with a Mario party

PikPi

EvilLucario

@link3710 When I first played Doom 2016 I played on Ultra Violence so I died a few times. Higher difficulties are indeed more challenging and you'll die more often there. Hurt Me Plenty is much more manageable though.

@NEStalgia Some games make for amazing streaming material that is very fun to watch. Dark Souls 1 is very funny to watch as you get to see how someone tackles a boss and which one they kill in one try or which one throws up a brick wall, or what type of playstyle they use. Games that use procedural generation are also mighty fine candidates.

And of course it's all about the personality too. Most people gravitate to these guys because the guy playing a game has a personality that ticks with the viewers.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Dark Souls, I find it annoying that the people that make walkthrough videos and guides keep going on about how "easy" this boss or that one is, when the bosses or enemies are not in fact very easy. On the other hand, it's hilarious when they are going on about how easy an enemy type is (such as black knights), only to get killed by that 'easy' enemy or enemy group sixteen times in a row.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@link3710 I'm guessing you're somehow someone that wouldnt stress out in a game of Russian roulette . Seriously even as a kid, give mea stupid trap and make me repeat something more than3 times and id rage like a heavy metal rocker. And I'm a subdued person otherwise.

@EvilLucario the streaming thing i really don't get. Even less than the hard games. Again, at the risk of sounding old again it seems to be a thing for the kiddies up through college age. Not sure where the speak came from. I watch treehouse.... But that's the absolute only "streaming" that interests me even slightly. Watching "personalities" is as fun as watching paint dry. I also can't understand why people watch reality tv. 10 minutes of that and feel my brain going numb

I'm wondering if the hard game crowd is also proficient at music. The memorization and sequencing strike be as similar in mindset. I also always sucked at music of any kind. I can compare great things in my head but it can't go anywhere

NEStalgia

toiletduck

FragRed wrote:

I have come to realise that as I’m getting older, and I’m only 33, I just can’t play hard games like I used to be able to. That also goes for retro games which once upon a time I’d have no trouble completing, but not so much nowadays. I have to be careful about what I spend my money on as I’ve bought a few games thinking they’d be something I could play through, like Hollow Knight, only to find they’re too hard for me.

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling like that! You and @NEStalgia perfectly phrase how I personally feel towards hard games and Youtube gamers. I also don't really get the whole e-sports thing. I'm still hoping it's just a fad but I'm afraid not

toiletduck

FragRed

@toiletduck Unfortunately e-sports aren't a fad. Just like multiplayer only games, micro transactions and games as a service, this is the way gaming is going to head more and more with each generation of gamers embracing it more and more. But it is great to see others feeling the same way about hard games, and YouTubers/Twitch streamers.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

link3710

@FragRed I doubt it. Just like anything else, it'll only increase until the market hits saturation. E-sports are only ever going to be able to attract a portion of the market, far too many people only enjoy games for being games, no matter what generation they are in.

link3710

RedderRugfish

@NEStalgia I've pretty much memorized that Gameboy Mega Man I loved so much, and I've beaten F Zero GX on master mode. But I've never been good at music.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

NEStalgia

@toiletduck yeah the esports thing is here however but that REALLY had an age cap, like pro real sports, of like 25 tops. Great for kids with toooons of time i guess. Hard games seem like esports for those not good enough for esports

Also i forget that so many people do watch YouTubers to play their hard games and follow strategies..... So theyre not really doing it on their own, they're watching others do it and copying well.

@ReaderRagfish hmm surprising.... i thoughti was into something for the type of person that's good at it.

NEStalgia

link3710

@subpopz Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about speedrunning? I can't stand livestreaming typically, but I'll watch GDQ every year to see how people approach aspects of the games I'd never see otherwise.

link3710

NEStalgia

@subpopz interestingly I've never thought of Mario 3 was particularly difficult. I beat it so many times in the day, and it still feels perfectly playable to me. It's all about solid platform timing and not much else. Mm otoh is cheap with almost shmup like bullet storms while platforming that knocks you back, plus bosses that move at absurd speed and fill the screen without time to watch and learn. Much faster than boom boom and the koopalings that had very deliberate patterns and it was easier to accrue lives. You can't really really react to these things in mm, you have to memorize placement and timings and proactively act instead of reacting. I do find blocks level much easier now thati know where everything is beforei get there. But that's technically bad design..... Some people just kind of got fond of that.

Can't comment on souls. Played an hour or two of 3 and the switch demo of 1. I did preorder 1. I like nioh but suck at it. I loathe blood borne. But not because of difficulty but pretentiousness, bad story, map design, and a horrible disconnect at respawn (ds doesn't suffer that. I sometimes wonder if blood borne weren'ta Sony exclusive of it would be that unwanted cousin if souls instead of praised.)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

@NEStalgia I've beaten all of them, but I still find Mario 1-3 rather difficult. I don't know why. It wasn't until World that I could breeze through them without breaking a sweat.

While we're on the topic of games hyped up to be hard, I didn't really find Super Meat Boy difficult (unless you're trying to 100% complete it). Due to how there were infinite lives, levels were short, and respawns instantaneous, you can mindlessly throw yourself at levels until you win. Old school hard games at least made me focus because there was actually a penalty for dying.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Huh, I actually did play the guitar and piano when I was a teenager. I wasn't amazing at music though. As a young 21 year old who grew up on playing Mario Lost Levels from Mario DX on GBC and Castlevania, I guess I just have had an affinity to challenging games.

@subpopz I don't know if I personally agree with the notion that a game needs to be hard or have some challenge to be worth my time. Pokemon in particular is one of my favorite series but that is easy as hell as RPG comfort food. Similarly, Castlevania is another, but that is pretty dang challenging with deliberate controls. Difficulty is only one aspect of a game when you also have visual feedback (not graphical fidelity, I mean visual euphoria like after something awesome in fighting games), music, level design (why Mario works so well despite being relatively easier), and other mechanics.

As for the D-Pad, I've been playing Mario 1/3 and Zelda 1 with the Joy-Cons and I feel just fine. Actually, for platformers like Mario and Sonic, I prefer the Joy-Cons because the separated buttons insure you never do accidental diagonal inputs. But if playing something like Blaster Master Zero which does require lots of diagonal inputs... yeah I guess that sucks ass.

As for the things about YouTube and Twitch, it may indeed be an age gap between people like me and you guys. But most of the time I like to follow personalities who are nice people and also have (mostly) the same taste as I do. It's a nice way to pass the time when driving to university or whatever, listening to someone talk about games. And in fact me and a group of friends are planning to start up a podcast talking about mostly JRPGs and other Japanese games, but all centered around games, so we'll be joining that oversaturated pile of people ourselves lol.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@subpopz That makes more sense, actually wholeheartedly agree with that. Engagement is really the key for a good game.

Although for platformers, Yoshi's Woolly World is an extremely chill platformer that made up for its chill nature with a very pleasing aesthetic and level design. It was extremely easy, but the feel of it really makes it come alive to a great game.

link3710

@subpopz Agreed. I adore the Kirby series, but it needs a good chunk of content and replay value to make it worthwhile. Which, post Dream Land, most games have met those requirements. Star Allies issue wasn't in the difficult, it was the AIs doing all the work for you. It made it far too mindless. I'm finally starting to really enjoy the game with the new DLC content, they seem to be cranking up the difficulty to compensate for the allies, but the base game is just... not balanced at all.

Which is a shame, the game is so fluid and fun to play when the allies aren't doing all the work for you.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

OorWullie

Mega Man doesn't do it for me either. I should like his games as platformers are my favourite genre and I enjoy retro games even if I've no nostalgia for them. I can handle a challenge too but Mega Man's challenge I just don't find enjoyable, not in the slightest. I've tried numerous times to get into the series as I've always thought one day it would click with me but nope.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic