Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 221 to 240 of 594

JaxonH

@Octane
Ya, it is like I said.

Just sayin it seemed a little less egregious once I realized it had AC. Obviously still too high. But ya the Wii U power cord was $40 so $30 seems like a break lol

@Ralizah
Really... I prefer the X1 controller, probably as my all time favorite, the 360 was good too. But I think the X1 controller has the best Dpad of any controller I've ever used.

Not really a fan of the PS controller. Oh it's miles beyond the PS3 controller for sure. I guess I shouldn't say I'm not a fan, I just like it least out of all 3, and I probably play PS more than any other console

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@skywake Thanks for the link. I knew they already existed, but I couldn't find them. I'm sure that there will be people who'll test this out at launch, so I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

I think this may be the first Pro Controller that I buy and use. I prefer asymmetrical sticks so I am practically salivating at the Procon now. My original plan was to use the Joycons only, but I think I'll snag a Procon at launch. I am going to be so broke.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

skywake

It's kinda funny that people are making a big deal about the asymmetrical sticks. Not on these forums but elsewhere. I've seen some people go as far as saying that the Wii U setup was ridiculous and they are glad Nintendo came to their senses. I don't think that's how it came about at all. I think what Nintendo does is design the controller that makes sense for their system.

The Wii CC had the sticks at the bottom because that controller was about classic games. Most of them needed a D-Pad and face buttons more than analogue sticks. With the Wii U the sticks were at the top because most modern games use sticks and triggers more than d-pad and face button. They put the things you use more where your thumbs are. It makes sense.

And now there's the Switch and again the setup makes sense. Because the sides on the standard setup can detach and be used separately. The Analogue sticks had to be on the left for both. Which, coincidentally, means that it follows the standard Microsoft stick placement. The Pro Controller copies the setup because you don't want them to be different.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

CThrash13

I've always preferred pro controllers, so I'll probably buy one at launch. That being said, I think I'm going to try and get plenty of use out of the Joycons as well. From what I've seen so far, it seems like they're pretty comfortable and responsive.

CThrash13

Twitter:

rallydefault

I just watched a couple lesser-known Youtubers (AKA: people I've never heard of/ NOT Totalbiscuit, Angryjoe, etc.), and every single one keeps saying the Joycons feel "right" - they are tiny, but they feel "right" was the recurring message. These were impressions from the NYC hands-on.

I was one of those people especially concerned with how cramped they seemed, but it's good to hear positive things from the people who have actually held them.

rallydefault

Xyphon22

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I have never understood the strong desire for the Pro controllers. After the first-party IP, Nintendo systems are mostly known for their unique controllers, and they have always felt like the best, or at least the most fun, way to play. I always played Mario Kart Wii with a Wiimote in a wheel, Smash with a Wiimote and Nunchuck, and even Punch Out with the Wiimote, Nunchuck, and Balance Board option. Maybe they aren't the easiest, but they are unique and fun which is what Nintendo is all about. I have never bought a Classic or Pro controller and do not intend to start now, either.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

shaneoh

Therad wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

I can't believe I haven't articulated this idea yet; by splitting the joycon between two people, any purely singleplayer game becomes a two-player game. This could potentially be quite an enjoyable way to play a game, requiring both people to operate in unison to succeed.

we did that with Mario kart on the Wii, it was quite fun.

Excellent, here's hoping that doing the same thing with games like Zelda, Skyrim and Mario will be just as enjoyable.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

I just realised one fantastic thing about the Joycons. The first part of a portable console to die are the control sections. My original DS Lite had one of the triggers feel incredibly worn out. Same deal with my 3DS and 3DS XL. Thanks Mario Kart! And on my 3DS XL the top of the circle-pad is a bit loose. Thanks Smash Bros!

But with the Switch if the triggers or analogue stick wears out you can just replace the Joycon. You don't have to replace your entire system to replace worn out controls. Same deal if you want a different look for the system. Just swap the Joycons and you've got a different coloured/themed system.

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

BigBabyPeach

I can't believe that the triggers are digital on Joycons...they packed so much tech into these little things, but they can't give us analogue triggers in 2017? What does this mean for Gamecube VC? For racing games other than Mario Kart? For 3rd party games that require them? I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.
Do we have any info about the triggers on the Pro Controller yet? Even if they're analogue, it would suck that you'd have to buy an $80 controller for a feature that should have already been there to begin with.

BigBabyPeach

JoyBoy

@skywake Yeah, that is really cool.
When the inevitable upgraded hardware comes out we might see something like being able to buy the system(the middle part) separately and there you go, you just attach your joycons to it which you already have. Might be a cheap upgrade.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

gcunit

@BigBabyPeach With analogue triggers, the joy cons become an almost perfect miniature controller. Without, they're wallbashingly handicapped.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BigBabyPeach

@gcunit Yeah, but not many people seem to care unfortunately - or maybe they just aren't aware of all the implications that the lack of analogue triggers has.

BigBabyPeach

skywake

@BigBabyPeach
The great thing about the Joycons is that they can change them. No reason why down the road they can't come out with a "Classic Joycon Set". SNES coloured A/B/X/Y, analogue triggers, solid D-Pad. Built to be the set to use for VC games.

There's also no reason why they can't support GC controllers when docked. They've already made the accessory to enable it, they just need to support it. Also make more of them so people can grab one if they want it. Again for VC games but also Smash Bros.

skywake

@Whitewatermoose
They're quicker to press which is an advantage in the games that don't use the feature. But no other advantages and even that one advantage is debatable.

Though I'd say the same thing about NFC and motion controls. People are saying they don't want it but what are the advantages to not having it?

Edited on by skywake

JaxonH

BigBabyPeach wrote:

I can't believe that the triggers are digital on Joycons...they packed so much tech into these little things, but they can't give us analogue triggers in 2017? What does this mean for Gamecube VC? For racing games other than Mario Kart? For 3rd party games that require them? I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.
Do we have any info about the triggers on the Pro Controller yet? Even if they're analogue, it would suck that you'd have to buy an $80 controller for a feature that should have already been there to begin with.

Um, I read a report that the pro controller actually does have analog triggers. Not the Joycons, but the Pro Controller does. We might need to get this confirmed because I don't think I was paying too much attention when I read it but I definitely remember seeing that.

Worst case scenario though, a couple games games are off limits. There were not a whole lot of games that used them on the GameCube. Worst case scenario they would release every single game except Sunshine, which is hardly the best game on the system. And I really don't foresee any third-party racing games that use analog triggers coming to Switch anyways. The big ones (Forza and GT) are exclusive to other systems, and Project Cars developers have made it abundantly clear they have no interest in following through for Nintendo gamers.

But again I'm 95% confidence the pro controller has analog triggers. Maybe check some footage of people who have used it during these live events and see what they have to say on it. I don't think it'll make a big difference either way but, definitely cool if it does have them

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH wrote:

BigBabyPeach wrote:

Um, I read a report that the pro controller actually does have analog triggers. Not the Joycons, but the Pro Controller does. We might need to get this confirmed because I don't think I was paying too much attention when I read it but I definitely remember seeing that.

Worst case scenario though, a couple games games are off limits. There were not a whole lot of games that used them on the GameCube. Worst case scenario they would release every single game except Sunshine, which is hardly the best game on the system. And I really don't foresee any third-party racing games that use analog triggers coming to Switch anyways. The big ones (Forza and GT) are exclusive to other systems, and Project Cars developers have made it abundantly clear they have no interest in following through for Nintendo gamers.

But again I'm 95% confidence the pro controller has analog triggers. Maybe check some footage of people who have used it during these live events and see what they have to say on it. I don't think it'll make a big difference either way but, definitely cool if it does have them

Gamexplain said the triggers felt digital on both the Pro controller and the JoyCons. Of course, they can't 100% confirm it, but if it feels digital, it probably is. Skip to 28:50 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zaEi6_7Jo

KirbyTheVampire

BigBabyPeach

@JaxonH There are more Gamecube games than just Mario Sunshine that utilize analog triggers: Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX... Also, it's not just driving sims like Forza, even games like GTA use them to adjust your driving speed.
And we have confirmation now that the triggers are also digital on the Pro controller. I can't see Nintendo releasing another version of the Pro controller in the future just for included analog triggers.

I honestly thought Nintendo would release an excellent gaming device this time around, but once again they seem to be OK with telling gamers "Well, if you want to play that type of game, then buy a Playstation/Xbox". People are complaining about many different Switch-related aspects, but I feel like this is their one major misstep so far and it's not getting enough coverage.
I'm still holding out hope though, that Nintendo has a solution to this...even if it means forking over $70-80 for another controller.

BigBabyPeach

MrGawain

I just noticed that on the console pack coloured joy cons the colours are blue left and red right, where the duo pack joy cons are red left and blue right, so you can swap them to have a red joypad and a blue joypad.

If you are willing to throw money at the thing, that is.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

OorWullie

I just had a thought,would using gyro control not solve the problem of no analogue triggers?In Mario Sunshine for example you could hold down the right trigger and tilt the Joy-con up or down to control the water pressure instead,It might not be great with the Joy-cons attached but holding them individually in each hand they could offer a lot of options.Say you were to hold it vertically gripped in your hand like in Arms,maybe it could work like an imaginary joystick or flightstick.I'm thinking of a game like Choplifter or Desert Strike with cockpit view.Hold the left Joy-con normally and use analogue stick to steer yer chopper and tilt the controller forward or back to ascend or descend.Holding the right Joy-con vertically like you're gripping a flight stick with your thumb on the trigger for firing your weapons,you could tilt forward or back to control the speed and left and right to turn yer chopper on it's side.I think that could work and would be pretty great if it did.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Sorry, this topic has been locked.