Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 201 to 220 of 594

skywake

I don't see the issue with the controller pricing, I guess I'm used to Australian pricing. Here's some current pricing for a few controllers:

360 -> $59AU
WiiMote -> $69AU
JoyCon -> $69AU
Wii U Pro -> $69AU
PS4 -> $88AU
XBOne -> $89AU
XBOne (new) -> $95AU
WiiMote + Nunchuck -> $99AU
Switch Pro -> $99AU
JoyCon Pair -> $119AU
XBOne Elite -> $199AU

Is it cheap? No. But it's not really that much more expensive than the competition. Unless you're getting Joycon pairs for multiple players. And at that point I'm sorry but, player 3 and 4 are getting half a JoyCon, the first two guys get the Pro Controller.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

sentiententity

So it looks like I'd be waiting a year to get a switch and then longer for extra controllers, if at all.

sentiententity

Julius_Senpai

I don't think that the price is too high considering that a pair of Joycons can be used as 2 controllers.
Like an extra pair allows you to play Mario Kart with 4 players.

Julius_Senpai

Octane

Now we know what's inside the dock (no surprises, it's exactly what we thought it was), can anyone explain me why this is $90? It's empty, it only contains a USB-C to AC, USB and HDMI splitter.

Untitled

In the meantime, enjoy this GIF that perfectly captures Nintendo's attitude towards their customers in regards to the pricing of these accessories:

Untitled

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane The stupid thing is that they'd probably end up profiting more from these accessories if they priced them more reasonably. I know I would have bough an extra dock for $30 or so. But $90 for a bit of plastic? No thanks.

Same with Pro Controller, honestly. I owned the Wii and Wii U pro controllers, but I won't be purchasing this until it drops in price a significant amount. I won't pay a dime over $60 for it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah Agreed. The idea of setting up a couple of docks around the house, maybe even at my parent's when I'm visiting them, would've been nice, but no way I'm buying a second one for $90. Same with the Pro controller. IMO, $60 is already pushing it, but I guess AAA games are priced the same. Still, why $70 though? For that price I rather wait for a price cut or when they're on sale.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane $60 seems reasonable, considering all the tech it has in it.

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah, I'm still used to the times when controllers were about half the price of games. N64 and GameCube era. I never picked up an extra set of controllers after that. Although I had to buy a new Wiimote for the Remote Plus stuff.

Octane

rallydefault

Xbox One controllers and PS4 controllers cost $60 MSRP. Do they have the same amount of tech as the pro controller?

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault I don't think Xbone controllers do. PS4 controllers have the lightbar, touchpad, speakers, and are gyro-enabled.

My big problem with the Pro controller (and the Switch layout in general) is that I don't like the Xbox-ish layout. Not a fan of asymmetrical sticks, that sort of hard to reach D-Pad, or the bulkiness. The DS4 would be my favorite controller ever if it didn't have the stupid touchpad and hard to push share/options buttons.

The joycons have a similar layout, but on the grip they remind me more of the Dreamcast controller.

rallydefault

@Ralizah Ah - see, I prefer the Xbox controller a little bit more. I mean, I spent all of my teen years using a Dual Shock of some sort, so I was pretty used to the symmetrical sticks, but I grew to love the asymmetrical.

I agree with the bulkiness, though. I HATED the 360 controller - way too big. I think they're on the right track with the size of the Xbox One controller, though.

The joined Joycons do look like a Dreamcast controller! Very true. I hear encouraging things from people that have held them on the connector that it doesn't feel as bulky as it looks, though, so that's encouraging.

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault Xbox controllers have only improved over time. The original Xbox controller was this hideous, tumorous thing that I hated with a passion. At this point, despite my dislike of the basic layout, I think the Xbone controller is pretty decent.

Yeah, I've heard the joycons on the grip feel like a proper controller, which is good, because I really want to wait for the Pro to go on sale.

skywake

@Octane
The good thing is that the dock likely follows th display port alt-mode standard. So you should be able to grab a generic "dock" if you want. They're fairly easy to find because of that Apple device that only had USB type C.

...... but from what I can find they're not much cheaper than the dock. Actually the cheapest equivalent I found would cost more than the dock including shipping. So......

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

KirbyTheVampire

I hear good things about the Pro controller, but I would much prefer symmetrical sticks. I've gotten so used to the Dualshock layout that asymmetrical sticks feel alien to me. Guess I'll have to get used to it, since it sounds like the Pro is the best control option.

I just hope it's less beefy than the 360 controller. That thing feels way less sleek and comfortable than the PS3 controller. But again, maybe it's just because I've never really used it.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@Octane
My first reaction was that the dock was rediculously overpriced, but then I saw it also comes with the AC adapter which is $30 and an HDMI cord (probably another $10). So it's kinda like a $50 dock but you're buying the AC adapter and HDMI cord along with it. Still too high but it's not quite the sticker shocker that it was when I first saw it. I think $59.99 would have been reasonable, and at $49.99 it would fly off shelves. I'm definitely not buying a dock separately- I'd rather buy a 2nd Switch and pilfer all the accessories, and have a 2nd Switch out of it.

@Ralizah
"Not a fan of asymmetrical sticks, that sort of hard to reach D-Pad, or the bulkines"

As someone who uses the Wii U pro controller, Xbox One controller, Dualshock 4 controller and STEAM controller, I can definitely say the Xbox One controller tops them all. The asymmetrical design seems odd at first if you're not used to it, but once you do it doesn't take long to see why so many people hail it as the best controller you can buy.

I couldn't be more thrilled to see the Switch Pro controller learn from this. Nintendo humbled themselves enough to admit their design wasn't as good, and that to me speaks volumes. Between the new controller design and region free, I'm confident Nintendo is taking the steps needed to carry them forward in this modern era.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

shaneoh

I can't believe I haven't articulated this idea yet; by splitting the joycon between two people, any purely singleplayer game becomes a two-player game. This could potentially be quite an enjoyable way to play a game, requiring both people to operate in unison to succeed.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Therad

shaneoh wrote:

I can't believe I haven't articulated this idea yet; by splitting the joycon between two people, any purely singleplayer game becomes a two-player game. This could potentially be quite an enjoyable way to play a game, requiring both people to operate in unison to succeed.

we did that with Mario kart on the Wii, it was quite fun.

Therad

Ralizah

@JaxonH I was a 360 gamer last gen and used my 360 controller on PC a lot before better options became available (DS4, Steam Controller, etc.), so I'm very familiar with the asymmetrical layout. I just don't find it terribly comfortable. Moreover, controllers with that layout often have shrunken or difficult to use D-Pads, which is generally a big no-no for me (another feature of the Joycons I'm not fond of, but whatever). I can forgive a controller a bad D-Pad if it makes up for that shortcoming in other areas, though (which is why the GameCube controller is still one of my all-time favorite controllers).

With a few modifications (actual buttons for Start/Select, no touchpad, no lightbar), I think the DS4 would be my all-time favorite controller. The analog sticks, D-Pad, face buttons, and triggers are all incredibly comfortable to use, which makes the DS4 my preferred PC controller now (sorry, Steam Controller: I barely knew thee).

Octane

@JaxonH To be fair, they're more like €20 and €5, a lot of that stuff is overpriced anyway. On top of that, for Nintendo themselves it's more like €5 and €1 to produce them/buy them in bulk. Despite that, for what the product actually is, I still think it's way too expensive. I was hoping for a lot of impulse-buy prices, specially considering how they're sort of marketing this as a casual system again. Those are the prices you need for that crowd to pick the system and accessories up without giving it a second thought. I know I can wait for price drops, third party stuff or work out my own solution, but still..

Octane

Sorry, this topic has been locked.