Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 241 to 260 of 594

JaxonH

@BigBabyPeach
If that's true that's unfortunate. I don't think F Zero uses them though. I play that game with Wii U Pro controller no problem on Wii U, I imagine most GC games will be the same.

Or, they GC adapter just plugs in. But ya I hear you, more is always better that's for sure.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

Anyone know how button assignment works when you rotate the joy-cons?

When using the joy-cons attached/single player, the A, B, X, Y buttons are oriented correctly, with the X button at the top.

When you rotate the joy-cons and use just one of them as a full controller in two hands, the A, B, X, Y buttons aren't oriented correctly (90 degrees out) and the Y button is at the top.

So when you rotate the joycon to hold in two hands, does the Y button become the X button, the X button become the A button etc?

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

chardir

@gcunit Yeah, you use the button in the same position, not the same letter. The left joy con doesn't even have letters so any in-game prompts for joy con mode have to refer to the button position rather than a letter.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

upsidedownjim

Not sure if this has been discussed post-presentation but in a Kimishima mentioned, in an interview with Bloomberg on October 28, 2016:

In terms of attachments to the core part that is the Switch, it may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array.

I don't think the presentation revealed any of these accessories, so I'm wondering what they are and when they'll be revealed. I'm guessing it would be add-ons like gamecube controller that attached to the Switch console. Hopefully, we'll see them soon!

upsidedownjim

FGPackers

upsidedownjim wrote:

Not sure if this has been discussed post-presentation but in a Kimishima mentioned, in an interview with Bloomberg on October 28, 2016:

In terms of attachments to the core part that is the Switch, it may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array.

I don't think the presentation revealed any of these accessories, so I'm wondering what they are and when they'll be revealed. I'm guessing it would be add-ons like gamecube controller that attached to the Switch console. Hopefully, we'll see them soon!

I'm starting to think that one of the bombs for next E3 will be GC VC with analog triggers for new specific joy-cons, maybe with a proper pro controller too. It's quite a possibility considering all past rumors. Another point in this sense can be the new input configurations since the 4 buttons on the left joy-con can easily become the new GC C button

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

rsbrowndog

I tried asking this question in a separate topic but @Octane has decided it should go here and has locked it. I did look in this topic before posting and could see no answer, hence my post. Anyway...

Looking around at some of the accessories available for Switch I've noticed that some places are selling "grips" that the JoyCons fit into to give them more of a traditional controller shape. I am tempted to pick a set of these up for when I am sharing the JoyCons with someone to play Mario Kart, Street Fighter, etc.

But before I do, can anyone who went to one of the Switch events and got a chance to use the JoyCons in this way comment on how comfortable they were to hold/use? In your opinion, do you think the grips are needed or are they a waste of time?

Note that I am aware that "grips" come in the box which add shoulder buttons and a wrist strap, but what I am talking about is things like this:
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/switch/SWAC16-nintendo-swit...
Or this:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/gioteck-nintendo-switch-duo-grips-17...
Which give more of a "proper" controller feel to the JoyCons.

rsbrowndog

Octane

@rsbrowndog No reason to @ me when I already explained why I locked the thread. We already have a Switch controller discussion right here, so we don't need a separate thread for every question people have regarding the Switch (and/or controllers). Just to keep things tidy and clean on these forums.

Octane

rsbrowndog

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence, just thought you'd like to know I'd done what you asked. I'm totally on board with clean and tidy forums, hopefully someone will be along to answer my question soon...

rsbrowndog

Excalibur_120

I would also like to know how much of an issue is the asymmetrical arrangement of the buttons and the analog stick on both joycons. If you play a multiplayer game with the left joycon, the analog stick is close to the edge, while on the right joycon, it's almost in the middle. To me, this looks like it requires some getting used to for the thumb if you switch from one joycon to the other. But again, I have not tried it, so could anyone who has comment a little bit on it?

Excalibur_120

Luna_110

@RubyTheGem
To allow the left joy con to act as a second controller. Since the d-pad now is buttons, imagine them as the X/Y/A/B buttons and there, second control right off the box.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

Yeah it's like that and the pro controller confirms it, just take a look at it and you will get it

FGPackers

upsidedownjim

@FGPackers Yeah, I was thinking the GC controller attachment would be a good bet. Just surprised Kimishima mentioned they would be showing add-ons/accessories and then not. It just helps to muddle the overall picture of the Switch.

Would have liked analog triggers. For the cost, it seems like it should have been included and it improves gameplay options.

upsidedownjim

FGPackers

I'm curious to see how the joy-cons will feel in my hands with the grip, especially for Spla2n. The point is that i really got good at Splatoon since i started using gyro controls (S+, and no i don't want to show off). I mean: after i tried that type of controls i can't even try to play any other kind of shooter without feeling the need for gyro. You guys think it's kind of strange?

I can't even find any video of anyone using joy-cons with grip and gyro for Spla2n, did anyone of you?

FGPackers

SuperJoon

I have to admit that the controllers are one of my concerns. On the device and grip, they look fine, although the grip looks a bit cramped, it's when they're on there own they look tiny and I have a feeling they're not going to be comfortable in my massive ham hands.

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Shells

I'm pumped for the system, but I have long skeleton fingers that look like they're going to over power the joycons. A bunch of reports keep saying they're "easier to use/hold than they look" but I'm leery.

Shells

MarkTrav82

Just came back from ebgames. Just pre ordered a pro controller. I was the first person to do it. Lol. I guess that's the bonus of living in a small town. 😄😄

MarkTrav82

Monkey_Balls

Surely you can't access the shoulder buttons with these grips?

Untitled

And that description... ouch!

The Joy-Con game grips transform your Joy-Cons into a more conventional controller shape to prevent discomfort and awkwardness during extended gameplay sessions.

Edited on by Monkey_Balls

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

SuperJoon

Shells wrote:

I'm pumped for the system, but I have long skeleton fingers that look like they're going to over power the joycons. A bunch of reports keep saying they're "easier to use/hold than they look" but I'm leery.

@shells - Same, I have big ham hands, so have the feeling that I may just smother the controllers like Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

Another question, if the joy cons are attached to the Switch when it's charging, does this also charge the joy cons, or will you need the charging grip?

Edited on by SuperJoon

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Sorry, this topic has been locked.