Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,233

DTMOF84

@JaxonH I wondered the same thing. It will probably be the week before or something.

Switch FC: SW-1027-6042-8537

Hyrule

Second that Fire Emblem is smooth as silk, even with massive amounts of onscreen hacking and slashing

JaxonH wrote:

Anyone who thinks 30fps is a problem... go play Fire Emblem Warriors.

I played for about an hour and I thought wow, this game is so buttery smooth- I'm really glad they included that 60fps option. Hmm, let me turn on the 30fps mode to see how well it runs... lo and behold, I come to find out it already was on 30fps. And your movement speed in the game is just as fast as DOOM, you change directions just as quickly and abruptly as DOOM. Maybe even more so.

That's when I realized- truly realized, all this hoopla has been for nothing.

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage

FX102A

@JaxonH Thats good to hear. Although I remember commenting about how smooh Xenoblade Chronicles X ran most of the time that I couldn't believe is was 30fps. A friend if mine even asked if it was 60fps whilst watching.

FX102A

JaxonH

@Hyrule

After Hyrule Warriors I was expecting frame drops. They never make Warriors games with good performance... well... until now that is. The game is immaculate- even at 30 it runs like 60. They really did a fine job with that game- in fact, it exudes "first party quality" in every respect.

And it fills me with confidence that any game can run just fine at 30. It just has to actually be 30 and not less.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Hyrule

@JaxonH Spot on mate. Tbh if people are honest they cannot tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. What they do notice is slowdown when the framerate dips below that sweetspot. At the end of the day if the game is smooth, plays well, whats' not to love. ūüėČ

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage

MarcelRguez

@Hyrule People aren't pulling your leg, man. You don't need to have super-vision to notice when something's running at 30/60.

Take a look at this video and make sure you're watching at 720p/60fps, at least.

Edit: and another one, running actual games

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JaxonH

All looks pretty much the same to me (except 15, that's noticeable).

And that's with em side by side.

Those videos are perfect to show how good 30 looks compared to 60. The big difference is when you drop sub 30.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MisterPi

Night and day difference to me. Stability is most important for DOOM though

MisterPi

Spoony_Tech

I didn't notice the difference from 30 to 60 either. Now 15 was a different story as the fighting game looked horrible but the racing game even at 15 didn't look all that bad.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

For those of you downplaying the difference, keep in mind it only gets more noticeable with a controller in your hands. In my opinion, the difference between 30 and 60 is especially noticeable when, for example, spinning the camera around. Doom uses quite a bit of motion blur anyway, so it won't be as noticeable in that particular case.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
There is a technical difference, obviously. But your mind tricks you more than you may know. When most people are saying they can "see" the difference between 30 and 60, they're really just saying they can tell when a framerate is fluctuating.

Pretty interesting, actually. A steady 30fps looks as smooth to the human eye as a steady 60fps. As soon as dips and spikes start occurring, THAT'S when the difference becomes noticeable. This kind of thing doesn't happen on console as much as it does on PC, as console games usually lock their rates into one or the other.

Another factor to not be ignored is our current internet culture and its subtle impact on the way we think and reason. If you're "into" the gaming subculture and visit sites like this (which most of us here likely are), chances are you're bombarded every day with fps counts and posts much like we're seeing here. To a certain extent you start to subconsciously convince yourself of differences that otherwise you never would have noticed.

And (then I'll shut up lol), as the icing on the cake, I don't know how many console gamers out there run the same game side-by-side as they play. Sometimes it happens in the PC space, but even then it's rare. At the end of the day, unless you've mantra'd yourself into some kind of crazy self-fulfilling prophecy, you're not going to care or even notice if DOOM on Switch runs at 30fps (as long as it's steady).

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

ACK

Many people can distinguish 30-60 easily.

Eitherway, FPS in gaming is not about the human eye and perceived smoothness, just stop. It is about your fingers and better input, quicker input, animation with more frames to register those inputs, etc... It is about the smootheat possible gameplay and there is really no argument here.

Why do you think Nintendo developers fixate on 60fps for Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash Bros., etc.? It's obviously because they know it grants the best feel and playability. Other developers sacrifice this to make the game look better because they want to focus on thrilling visuals to fluff up the gamepay and help sink it's teeth in.

Nintendo believes first and foremost in the gameplay and design of their work and they know that a higher refresh serves the player best. It's not a question of perception or anything, it is a fact of input, which is the fundamental aspect of gaming.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

Octane

rallydefault wrote:

A steady 30fps looks as smooth to the human eye as a steady 60fps.

It doesn't. There are twice as many frames per second, so it's smoother by default, just like how 30fps is smoother than 15fps. The difference between 30 and 60 is very noticeable, 60fps is much more pleasant to look at.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@rallydefault What @Octane said. And just to set the record straight, I'm not saying 30fps is a dealbreaker, just that @Hyrule's earlier statement about people being unable to tell the difference is just absurd.

MarcelRguez

DTMOF84

Octane wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

It doesn't. There are twice as many frames per second, so it's smoother by default, just like how 30fps is smoother than 15fps. The difference between 30 and 60 is very noticeable, 60fps is much more pleasant to look at.

If you're disecting the game frame by frame instead of just playing it then yeah you could.

Also, if I'm just one of those people that can't tell a difference in 30 versus 60 frames, I'm glad. Because I enjoy what I'm playing instead of worrying about it.

Edited on by DTMOF84

Switch FC: SW-1027-6042-8537

MsJubilee

Octane wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

People need to play it themselves to know the difference honestly.

Edited on by MsJubilee

I've died. There is no more me

It is the heavens that have defeated you. This is their will.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742 | Nintendo Network ID: TwilightAngel9

JaxonH

I don't think anybody disputes it's better.

Just that it's a marginal increase. Pretty much everyone here who doesn't have preconceived notions about framerate can barely tell the difference (if at all) in those videos, but the 15fps stuck out as choppy. That's when it's bad. That's when it borders unplayable. Even conceding that people can indeed easily tell the difference, there's a huge gulf between "discerning a difference" and being unplayable.

@rallydefault summed it up perfectly. It's like the jump from Switch to Xbox One. Is there a difference? Ya. Does it look better? Ya. But it's far, far, far less noticeable then the jump from Wii to Switch. Once you reach that minimum threshold of HD gaming it's perfectly enjoyable enough. 30fps is like that HD threshold where returns become exponentially more marginal. Is there a difference? Ya. Is 60 better? Ya. Should games strive to hit 60 if/when possible? Absolutely. But we're talking about a difference so negligible half the people in this thread can't even notice it, even when side by side and looking for it. People mean to tell me in those two identical videos, one is perfect and one is completely unplayable? It's like looking at two nearly identical shades of green and saying this one is the ugliest color in the world, but this one over here is the most beautiful.

Not even sure why it's being compared to 60 frames per second anyways because on other consoles it was 40 frames per second, 45 frames per second, 50 frames per second, and all kinds of frames per second. Yet everyone who played it was under the delusion they were actually getting 60... which yet again goes to the point that most people can't tell the difference- just brainwashed into believing they can- you tell them it's a constant 60 and they believe it to be so, yet they couldn't notice their so called "super smooth and fluid game" had 20 frame drops? Ya. Because people believed whatever they were told it was, and couldn't discern it for themselves.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Qwertyninty

Well pre-order my copy today.

Qwertyninty

Octane

@DTMOF84 I'm not dissecting the game, nor am I worrying about it. It's just a clear difference, night and day, and if it's possible, I prefer to play my games at 60fps. And again, it's not a deal breaker. I'm not buying a high end gaming PC to play TW3 at 60fps, I had no problem with 30fps. However, given the choice, I think I prefer a higher frame rate over a higher resolution, especially in fast-paced games.

Octane

MisterPi

I don't think anyone said 30fps was unplayable.

MisterPi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic