Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,213

FX102A

I do wonder if they will consider a demo of the game.

I am excited and am tempted to buy it befor the end of the year but its an expensive investment. Guess I will have to wait for reviews, which is not exactly something Bethesda works with well due to its review embargo policy.

Then again I loved Vanquish and that was 30fps.

FX102A

JaxonH

Anyone who thinks 30fps is a problem... go play Fire Emblem Warriors.

I played for about an hour and I thought wow, this game is so buttery smooth- I'm really glad they included that 60fps option. Hmm, let me turn on the 30fps mode to see how well it runs... lo and behold, I come to find out it already was on 30fps. And your movement speed in the game is just as fast as DOOM, you change directions just as quickly and abruptly as DOOM. Maybe even more so.

That's when I realized- truly realized, all this hoopla has been for nothing.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MarcelRguez

@ACK How is Doom 64 a "version" of the original and not an entirely new and different game again?

@FX102A Same here, I'll wait for reviews. Impressions have been solid so far, but I want to know if they're any issues with the final build before double-dipping.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

ACK

@MarcelRguez Well, I was referring to Doom 64 being my favorite of all those original iterations. Doom, Doom II, Final Doom... Doom 64 shares the same DNA and was developed specificalky as a sequel to Final Doom by Midway.

I suppose I could have said it is my favorite game of the original series, but whatever. They are all similar enough to be episodes of one long game. The OG Doom engine is the defining trait.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

JaxonH

Why is this game still not on the eShop? It's like 2 weeks away. Skyrim is even listed and it releases a week after DOOM.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Its on the UK Store.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ACK

@JaxonH NOA is very strange about how and when they update the Coming Soon section. Many times a few games get ignored until they release while others are put up over a month in advance.

ACK

Twitter:

TuVictus

Considering the size, it'd be the perfect game to offer pre loading on

TuVictus

DTMOF84

@JaxonH I wondered the same thing. It will probably be the week before or something.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Hyrule

Second that Fire Emblem is smooth as silk, even with massive amounts of onscreen hacking and slashing

JaxonH wrote:

Anyone who thinks 30fps is a problem... go play Fire Emblem Warriors.

I played for about an hour and I thought wow, this game is so buttery smooth- I'm really glad they included that 60fps option. Hmm, let me turn on the 30fps mode to see how well it runs... lo and behold, I come to find out it already was on 30fps. And your movement speed in the game is just as fast as DOOM, you change directions just as quickly and abruptly as DOOM. Maybe even more so.

That's when I realized- truly realized, all this hoopla has been for nothing.

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage | Twitter:

FX102A

@JaxonH Thats good to hear. Although I remember commenting about how smooh Xenoblade Chronicles X ran most of the time that I couldn't believe is was 30fps. A friend if mine even asked if it was 60fps whilst watching.

FX102A

JaxonH

@Hyrule

After Hyrule Warriors I was expecting frame drops. They never make Warriors games with good performance... well... until now that is. The game is immaculate- even at 30 it runs like 60. They really did a fine job with that game- in fact, it exudes "first party quality" in every respect.

And it fills me with confidence that any game can run just fine at 30. It just has to actually be 30 and not less.

Edited on by JaxonH

Hyrule

@JaxonH Spot on mate. Tbh if people are honest they cannot tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. What they do notice is slowdown when the framerate dips below that sweetspot. At the end of the day if the game is smooth, plays well, whats' not to love. 😉

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@Hyrule People aren't pulling your leg, man. You don't need to have super-vision to notice when something's running at 30/60.

Take a look at this video and make sure you're watching at 720p/60fps, at least.

Edit: and another one, running actual games

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

JaxonH

All looks pretty much the same to me (except 15, that's noticeable).

And that's with em side by side.

Those videos are perfect to show how good 30 looks compared to 60. The big difference is when you drop sub 30.

Edited on by JaxonH

TuVictus

Night and day difference to me. Stability is most important for DOOM though

TuVictus

Spoony_Tech

I didn't notice the difference from 30 to 60 either. Now 15 was a different story as the fighting game looked horrible but the racing game even at 15 didn't look all that bad.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

For those of you downplaying the difference, keep in mind it only gets more noticeable with a controller in your hands. In my opinion, the difference between 30 and 60 is especially noticeable when, for example, spinning the camera around. Doom uses quite a bit of motion blur anyway, so it won't be as noticeable in that particular case.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
There is a technical difference, obviously. But your mind tricks you more than you may know. When most people are saying they can "see" the difference between 30 and 60, they're really just saying they can tell when a framerate is fluctuating.

Pretty interesting, actually. A steady 30fps looks as smooth to the human eye as a steady 60fps. As soon as dips and spikes start occurring, THAT'S when the difference becomes noticeable. This kind of thing doesn't happen on console as much as it does on PC, as console games usually lock their rates into one or the other.

Another factor to not be ignored is our current internet culture and its subtle impact on the way we think and reason. If you're "into" the gaming subculture and visit sites like this (which most of us here likely are), chances are you're bombarded every day with fps counts and posts much like we're seeing here. To a certain extent you start to subconsciously convince yourself of differences that otherwise you never would have noticed.

And (then I'll shut up lol), as the icing on the cake, I don't know how many console gamers out there run the same game side-by-side as they play. Sometimes it happens in the PC space, but even then it's rare. At the end of the day, unless you've mantra'd yourself into some kind of crazy self-fulfilling prophecy, you're not going to care or even notice if DOOM on Switch runs at 30fps (as long as it's steady).

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

ACK

Many people can distinguish 30-60 easily.

Eitherway, FPS in gaming is not about the human eye and perceived smoothness, just stop. It is about your fingers and better input, quicker input, animation with more frames to register those inputs, etc... It is about the smootheat possible gameplay and there is really no argument here.

Why do you think Nintendo developers fixate on 60fps for Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash Bros., etc.? It's obviously because they know it grants the best feel and playability. Other developers sacrifice this to make the game look better because they want to focus on thrilling visuals to fluff up the gamepay and help sink it's teeth in.

Nintendo believes first and foremost in the gameplay and design of their work and they know that a higher refresh serves the player best. It's not a question of perception or anything, it is a fact of input, which is the fundamental aspect of gaming.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic