Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,213

MarioBrickLayer

@JasmineDragon have you played this version of Doom before? I'm hoping to get up to 30-40 hours out of it to keep me going until Christmas!

MarioBrickLayer

JasmineDragon

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

@JasmineDragon have you played this version of Doom before? I'm hoping to get up to 30-40 hours out of it to keep me going until Christmas!

The last time I played Doom was OG Doom on a 386 PC that could barely handle it at minimum settings. The last time I had a current-gen console was when Gamecube was current gen, and my computers tend to be work computers, not gaming gear. So if this baby runs at anything better than VGA resolution at 15 FPS, it's going to be better than the Doom I've played. REALLY looking forward to it!

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

MarcelRguez

@JasmineDragon Don't go in expecting OG Doom then. If anything, it feels more similar to Quake or UT with hints of Metroid Prime here and there. Errant Signal did a great analysis on the game comparing it with the original, recommended watch for anyone on the fence.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JasmineDragon

@MarcelRguez Thanks for the warning, and the Errant Signal clip is interesting. And don't worry, I've seen enough to know it won't be the original! Being more like Quake and MP is fine with me, too.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Ralizah

@MegaTen 60fps is usually a better frame-rate to target for games that rely heavily on fluid motion, while 30fps is preferable in games that aren't quite as twitchy. That's because, in games where the frame-rate isn't nearly as important, it's more desirable to focus on other aspects of the presentation that will stand out more to the player.

Also, you said, to paraphrase: "Who wants Super Mario Odyssey at 30fps?" But Super Mario Sunshine ran at 30fps and was perfectly fun and playable. So let's no overemphasize its importance. As long as it's at least 30, stability of frame-rate is far more important.

Based on what I've seen of the footage, the new DOOM is still a surprisingly smooth experience on the Switch. I guess we'll see how it turns out once it finally launches.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JoyBoy

I never knew 60 fps was a good game.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

MarioBrickLayer

MarcelRguez wrote:

@JasmineDragon Don't go in expecting OG Doom then. If anything, it feels more similar to Quake or UT with hints of Metroid Prime here and there. Errant Signal did a great analysis on the game comparing it with the original, recommended watch for anyone on the fence.

JasmineDragon wrote:

@MarcelRguez Thanks for the warning, and the Errant Signal clip is interesting. And don't worry, I've seen enough to know it won't be the original! Being more like Quake and MP is fine with me, too.

I don't think I eve played Quake, I played Doom, Wolfenstien, Duke Nukem, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. What were the main differences between Quake and Doom?

MarioBrickLayer

MarcelRguez

@MarioBrickLayer Using a Nintendo example (and somewhat of a stretch), did you ever play Metroid Prime Hunters? Doom feels more akin to that, it plays more like an arena shooter as far as mobility is concerned. Lots of verticallity, double-jumping and such. Running speed is slower compared to the classic FPSs you mention, and circle-strafing isn't as important.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
But see, just a bit of research and looking at my posts would show you that your Splatoon 2/inkopolis fps assertion is flawed.

You cited Inkopolis in Splatoon 2 as an example of how 30fps looks in relation to 60, whereas the whole time I've been saying STEADY 30 fps in a vacuum looks just as smooth as 60 fps - to the point where I would bet you would not be able to tell me what a game was running at if I put you in front of it with no knowledge of the game. (A really funny experiment was conducted where people were put in front of a CoD game, notorious for running at 60fps, but the client was actually set to a steady 30fps. Most of the people erroneously claimed the game was running at 60 fps, of course! lol the "smoothness" that people describe from first-person games like CoD comes from the framerates holding steady, NOT the number of frames, basically.)

Anyway, your Splatoon 2 example is fundamentally flawed because Inkopolis doesn't even run at 30fps - it runs at a variable fps of 30 and below, meaning it VARIES. And when an fps varies, OF COURSE the human eye will pick up on that constant contrast, and that's where we get vocabulary like "stuttery" and "jagged" and such. If a game maintains a STEADY 30 fps, the average human eye would not be able to tell, with accuracy, if it's running at 30 or 60.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

What's circle strafing?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Octane

Seems kind of hard to do without some kind of lock on feature

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH Not more difficult than moving around and shooting at the same time I imagine. But I'm terrible at shooters, so I'm not the person to ask!

Octane

MarcelRguez

It's easier with k+m, at least for me. Sticks are messier, you need to be precise with both hands instead of just focusing on the mouse while pressing a direction.

@rallydefault Again, I don't know about 2, but Inkopolis Plaza is a steady 30 in the original, so there goes that. It might not look like it because of the gyro wobbling the camera around, but it is. Would be surprised if it isn't a steady 30fps in the sequel too (especially offline), but I haven't checked.

Speaking of doing your research, I don't see any links to that study you mention.

MarcelRguez

EvilLucario

I'll just say this about 30 vs 60: some games probably thrive better in 30 FPS. Hear me out: games with 30 FPS can focus on pumping out beautiful visuals/stability and have little compromise to what they want, like a huge open world for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Super Mario Odyssey shows the sacrifice you need with 60 FPS with more open environments, so for something like Xenoblade (or BotW) where you have these big worlds and loads of enemies on screen with a lot of attacks and effects, 30 FPS is sufficient. Especially Xenoblade where it's not about twitchy action and more about strategy and preparation. (You can't dodge attacks in Xenoblade like a traditional action game so 60 FPS isn't as big of a deal) So it comes down to two choices: 60 FPS but scaled down worlds/number of enemies, or 30 FPS with less limitations on both. It's not just about pure graphics/resolution, it's about what's running around on screen.

Now PC can obviously do whatever, but for consoles (especially exclusives) the choice between 30 and 60 FPS can mean the difference between achieving a vision or having to make some sacrifices to achieve that.

That said personally I do believe that Nintendo generally makes the right choice in aiming for 60 FPS whenever they can unless they can't (like BotW or Xenoblade Chronicles X) and other people can learn from that when making games for a specific hardware. That may sound like a contradiction coming off of what I said that developers should aim for their vision and their choice of framerate should reflect that, but that's just what I personally want to see.

Anyway onto Doom, you can sum it up as a "Nintendo game not made by Nintendo". It's very kinetic, defies a lot of usual genre tropes (like reloading), and gameplay is always on the forefront with very Metroid Prime-like storytelling. I have a feeling this will be a very big hit with Nintendo gamers. Yes, 30 FPS is disappointing, but they probably can't get it at 60 FPS without heavy compromises of its own.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
Yes, in Splatoon 2 Inkopolis frequently dips below 30fps. It's not steady at all. Just Google and I think it was a DigitalFoundry article. And yea,the CoD thing was on Youtube a few years ago, but I'm not going to spend an hour of my life digging around for it.

Anyway, I stand by my claim. Would be interesting to do a little experiment of your own, I think. Get a sibling or friend or someone and put them in front of a TV running a game they're not knowledgeable of. Ask them if it's running at 30 or 60. Make sure they haven't viewed anything else on a screen for an hour or so beforehand, and make sure the game runs at a STEADY 30 or 60. There can be no dips or spikes. And obviously no other screens in the room for contrast.

The even better thing would be to try it on yourself. Try to have a friend or family member set up the experiment for YOU. That would be tougher because they'd have to get a game you've never seen before AND have no knowledge of technical specs.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

DTMOF84

Its on the Coming Soon of the North America eShop now.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
โ˜•๏ธ
๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿป

JaxonH

Yes, I saw that!

Still no LA Noire on the eShop, but at least DOOM is showing.

DTMOF84

@JaxonH isnโ€™t it so random when games pop up on there? Itโ€™s funny we know the games are coming regardless, but need this confirmation on the eShop.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
โ˜•๏ธ
๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿป

JaxonH

Ya. Wish they'd add these games sooner to gain more exposure. Some of the more casual gamers might only check the eshop once every two months. And if they wait until a week before the game releases to add it to the coming soon section (if at all, looking at you, Nights of Azure 2), there's a good chance people won't even see it- and once it's released it's quickly lost in the bottomless pit of currently available games. If it's lucky enough to be a top seller it might get some exposure that way but still, that's no guarantee and even if it does, it will likely drop off after a week or two if it's not an evergreen title.

I noticed Skyrim is holding steady in the 50's on Amazon's Top 100 list for Video Games category. But DOOM, while once peaking in the low 60's after its release date announcement, is now in the #99 spot, 7 less than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (despite the fact it's releasing in a week, and the fact XC2 is a niche game, and despite XC2 already having a top selling Collector Edition for several weeks)

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic