Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 941 to 960 of 69,953

FragRed

Therad wrote:

erv wrote:

Therad wrote:

@Peek-a-boo: This is why I think the 3DS actually have hindered the Wii U, rather then help it. If the library feels redundant, why should I buy the more expensive sibling?

The wii U got sacrificed from a business perspective and nintendo knew it would likely fail as such because Iwata stated this later on.

Where did he state this? This is the first time I heard this.

If you take certain words from each of Iwata's speeches and stitch them together, you can make him say practically anything I'm working on doing that right now for my new NX rumour.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

erv

@Therad:

Well, http://www.gamnesia.com/news/iwata-3ds-took-marketing-resourc... and in before "but that was just marketing resources": http://www.develop-online.net/news/nintendo-miscalculated-dev...

Also, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html had the 3ds and wii U launch compared and well, they went into overdrive after this http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-nintendo-idUKTRE78C14S20110913

I liked how he spinned it because "hd took more time than we anticipated." That was funny, coming from the top talents.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Therad

@erv: I still don't see where Iwata stated that "The wii U got sacrificed from a business perspective and nintendo knew it would likely fail". That they shifted resources to save the 3ds is one thing, saying they sacrified the Wii U is another. You get it to sound like they deliberately made the Wii U flop. I think they thought they could turn it around, otherwise it would have been canned a long time ago.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

@Project_Dolphin: Neither was Wii, DS, Wii U, yet they all ended up replacing what came before. We can be quite sure it is either a home console, or an handheld. If they have a "gimmick" or "hook" is something else entirely.

Therad

skywake

@Project_Dolphin:
1. You're reading far too much into things. "Simple" is PR speak

2. It doesn't matter what I think they should do because it seems as though they're doing it. I'd personally like them to replace the 3DS tomorrow and give me a whole bunch of great Wii U games at E3. It's clear that's not happening. So why argue the point? What makes sense to them as a business isn't necessarily the same as what I want for myself.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

@Therad: well, any hint of abandoning it was never an option, of course. This is as close a statement you can get from any executive - "we shifted resources to one thing, while the other proved hard."

Make of that what you will.

By the way, it's in that call this happens:

Iwata wrote:

It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

When talking about what comes after the downer - again, business wise only if you ask me - wii U.

Grumblevolcano

@Project_Dolphin: The easy solution for plenty I think if the known Wii U games list is the final Wii U games list would be to buy a PS4K or XB1. If Nintendo can't provide the games then go elsewhere and potentially not come back for NX.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@Project_Dolphin: Heya Mr D. Can I just say, calm it with the anxiety Nintendo have been pretty upfront with it's fans really. They are under going a period of transformation. So, maybe you go to a fun fair and your favourite ride is closed due to health and safety, or the water park is being cleaned at a resort. I think this whole affair is less strategy and more necessity. I would bet the farm that we see Mother 3 at E3 as well as some surprises. Remember, Nintendo are the worst at keeping things secret. Don't think the Financial Meeting was a Direct. There is still plenty Kimishima cannot tell investors.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

iKhan

Therad wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think the main reason Nintendo has for not replacing the 3DS is the enormous risk associated with it. As the only dedicated handheld on the market, and a device that people purchased DESPITE the rise of the mobile market, the 3DS will continue to sell software.

The second they replace the device, they have to start building a brand new install base, and whether they can do that in the current market is controversial. If you are Nintendo, why take the risk?

I think the 3ds cannibalized on Wii U sales. I think it was Skywake who linked to a study on where people are using their portable and it was mostly at home. So I wouldn't be surprised if people treat it as their secondary console to get their Nintendo fix.

It absolutely did. I bought my 3DS well after the Wii U came out, and it's the way that I get my 8th gen Nintendo fix.

Guess that's another reason not to launch a new handheld right now.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

@Project_Dolphin:
As I pointed out, you've gone well off track. At no point was anyone talking about whether or not the scenario is "good". Nobody was talking about whether or not what is happening helps their reputation. I don't think anyone was arguing that the position they're in with the Wii U was any of those things.

The way I see it this is the discussion. Slight paraphrasing:
#1: @cwong15, "How do we know the NX is not a portable?"
#2. Me, "Because it's replacing the Wii U. It's in their financials, no point arguing otherwise"
#3. @cwong15, "I don't think Nintendo explicitly said that"
#4. you. "Can you provide a quote?"
#5. Quote: "Taking into consideration demand for the new NX hardware we plan to ship 800,000 (Wii U) units"
#6. You. "There's more than one way to interpret that"
#7. Me. "Sometimes there's not"
#8. You. "How can you say this when we haven't seen the NX yet"
#9. Me. "We have Nintendo literally pointing to NX as the reason for the Wii U's decline"

and then
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@Project_Dolphin: Haha fair point mate

IceClimbers

@Octane: I'd have said Holiday 2017 at the latest had NX come out in 2016. Since it's coming in March 2017, then I do not expect the handheld to launch until Spring 2018, whether it's part of NX or not. I can't see the handheld and console launching any less than about a year apart.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@IceClimbers: They had no problem releasing the GBA and GameCube in the same year. The 3DS needs an upgrade more than the Wii U at the moment.

Octane

erv

Fair points about the 3ds being a risky thing to replace. I imagine the risk to be greater for them not to.

It's well over its selling curve. Quite dramatically, if I remember correctly.

It's one of those reasons that makes me think that whatever is next is no longer in any of the traditional camps.

Edited on by erv

skywake

@Project_Dolphin:
If it's not replacing the Wii U why are their forecast sales for the Wii U so low? And not just "low for the Wii U" low, we're talking a serious drop in sales. And why would they say to their investors that the NX is the biggest reason for that decline?

I mean you can believe that the Wii U is going to keep going if you want. You can believe that the NX is some kind of third pillar that doesn't impact on existing platforms at all. But there's no reason to believe that at this point, everything is pointing towards the Wii U being retired. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

And again, it's not that I don't think the 3DS is near the end of its cycle. I do think we're getting a new portable sooner rather than later. I just think it's pretty clear that the NX is not that system.

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@Project_Dolphin: I think it is a rather plausible idea to to offer a life support to Wii U through DLC. Imagine come E3 and we get a final batch of dlc for Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario Maker. That would be ok in my book. Infact I think Mr Kimishima mentioned the have dlc planned in one of the questions. Certainly cheaper than making games, the production would be recouped on the main wii u games if they are indeed coming to NX and as the meeting was hardly a direct, I can imagine this happening. (Infact Minecraft dlc is still planned right?)

DefHalan

@GrailUK: Bring on the New Super Mario Bros U DLC!!!

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

GrailUK

@DefHalan: Yeah...but after a proper Mario Kart Battle arena patch

DefHalan

@GrailUK: Probably not going to happen

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FragRed

@GrailUK: I think you've got your hopes a little too high regarding Splatoon and Super Mario Maker in terms of DLC. Certainly don't expect any Mario Kart DLC unfortunately though I'd love it for all 3 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the DLC going forward this year was for the 3DS as he also mentioned there's unannounced games coming to that system. He never said the Wii U had any unannounced games which means they gave up.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic