Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 381 to 400 of 12,088

CanisWolfred

Final Fantasy VI is a downright terrible game.
Super Mario World is a prime example of how a platformer should not be done.
Devil May Cry 2 isn't that bad, and I'd still say DmC is worse than it.

Goldeneye was terrible. Despite some innovations, it was still terrible even for its time, and FPSes have long moved past it in terms of controls and design. Even as far as its style of gameplay, Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters series were far superior to it in nearly every way.

Command & Conquer 3 was the best C&C game, and possibly the best RTS I've ever played, mostly because of the capability to plan the specific routes of multiple units. It was time consuming, but it added more strategy than any other RTS mechanic I've ever encountered. I can't believe it was dropped in later games.

The Nintendo 64 controller was the worst Nintendo ever put out, followed by the Gamecube one.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DiscoDriver43

I will never understand why the D-pad is still around. Who still actually uses them? They are just a relic of the NES and SNES years of gaming.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

CanisWolfred

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I will never understand why the D-pad is still around. Who still actually uses them? They are just a relic of the NES and SNES years of gaming.

It's still necessary for 2D games, which there are many of nowadays. Trust me, having suffered through Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter IV, and Metal Slug with Analogue sticks, I can assure you that D-Pads are still very necessary.

...in fact, I use them in practically every game I play, even if its just as an extra button.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

CanisWolfred wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

It's still necessary for 2D games, which there are many of nowadays. Trust me, having suffered through Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter IV, and Metal Slug with Analogue sticks, I can assure you that D-Pads are still very necessary.

...in fact, I use them in practically every game I play, even if its just as an extra button.

Agreed, I really need the D-pad for injustice. Not to mention a lot of games need them as additional buttons. It would reduce the input options by 4 for developers and gamers. They may not be good for movement outside of fighters (which justifys them), but they are invaluable buttons for various things.

Jaz007

Jampie

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I use them still.

MiiverseBackloggeryColors! Gallery
Peach Pink 2DS FC: 3110 - 6005 - 7552 // NNID: Emilyssa
AC:NL Dream Address: 5...

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0320-5871 | Nintendo Network ID: Jampie | Twitter:

Dreamz

CanisWolfred wrote:

Final Fantasy VI is a downright terrible game.

This isn't an unpopular opinion. This is heresy. A member of the Church of Kefka will by shortly to see to your re-education.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

CanisWolfred

Golden Sun is not that good a game, IMO. I'm not sure if I should even bother posting that here, though, since outside of this one website, I haven't countered that many who really think Golden Sun is that great. I miss @Adamant, since IIRC, he could explain pretty well why Golden Sun wasn't that good...

Also, I can't stand the battle system in The World Ends With You. It's too shallow to be enjoyed on the lower difficulties, yet too confusing to handle on the higher difficulties. It's just all-around awful.

Kingdom Hearts II is the worst KH game in the series. Yes, even worse than Chain of Memories.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LyIa

Neko_Chan wrote:

• Metroid Prime Hunters is the best of the Metroid games, even better than Prime.
  • SNES and N64 games are ridiculously expensive.
  • Pokemon is highly overrated.
  • Each Call of Duty game is the same one from the previous installment, just with different weapons and arenas.
  • The N64 and GameCube's controllers are awesome.
  • It's a good thing the Sonic reboot is being made.
  • The Powerpuff Girls are cuter than Kirby.

..None of those are very unpopular opinions. Maybe just a little.

all men are kings 👑

8BitSamurai

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

For precise 8-directional movement in almost every 2D game.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

shaneoh

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Also Budokai Tenkaichi 3 needs more characters/maps/ music and a slightly longer story mode (not on the scale of BT2 but a bit larger)

Needs more Characters? isn't 161 characters enough? That is like more than twice the size of games such as Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Street Fighter X Tekken

Nope, not enough, they have a lot of the major heroes and villains but lack many more enjoyable ones.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Gamecubed

Super Mario Galaxy 1 was better than 2.

shaneoh wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Also Budokai Tenkaichi 3 needs more characters/maps/ music and a slightly longer story mode (not on the scale of BT2 but a bit larger)

Needs more Characters? isn't 161 characters enough? That is like more than twice the size of games such as Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Street Fighter X Tekken

Nope, not enough, they have a lot of the major heroes and villains but lack many more enjoyable ones.

BT3 has had best roster to date and it's still best DBZ game. And that game came out in 2007! Everything after has just been one step forward, two steps back. I'm not complaining about the lack of characters because all the games that came after have been so skinny in comparison.

Edited on by Gamecubed

Gamecubed

GuSolarFlare

though I "don't care" about the graphics its always a good thing when they look better in games that would still be good with "bad" graphics.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CaviarMeths
  • PS3 and Wii U are in fact tied for best consoles of all time.
  • Mario Hockey and Mario Basketball need to exist. This is very important.
  • JRPGs are still a viable genre and are the sultans of my heart.
  • Except for the abysmally awful V, Soulcalibur is the best fighting game series.
  • Tekken and Dead or Alive's controls make absolutely no sense.
  • King of Fighters' controls make sense, but there aren't enough moves and combos for each character.
  • There is nothing that Street Fighter does better than other fighters. It's the Eagles of fighting games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LzWinky

CanisWolfred wrote:

Golden Sun is not that good a game, IMO. I'm not sure if I should even bother posting that here, though, since outside of this one website, I haven't countered that many who really think Golden Sun is that great. I miss @Adamant, since IIRC, he could explain pretty well why Golden Sun wasn't that good...

Also, I can't stand the battle system in The World Ends With You. It's too shallow to be enjoyed on the lower difficulties, yet too confusing to handle on the higher difficulties. It's just all-around awful.

Kingdom Hearts II is the worst KH game in the series. Yes, even worse than Chain of Memories.

Your opinion doesn't matter because it doesn't agree with mine...oh wait, that's popular. Nevermind

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

• King of Fighters' controls make sense, but there aren't enough moves and combos for each character.

These aren't unpopular opinions, these are factually incorrect. DOA bases its controls on the direction of the analogue stick in combination with a punch or kick (besides, a lot of DoA is just learning how to counter). Tekken takes that concept, and makes the buttons correlate to different limbs (one controls the right arm, another controls the left arm, right leg, left leg), so if you want to do a "one-two punch" you actually have to alternate buttons. It makes sense, you just have to think about what you're doing a little more instead of just mashing the buttons like you can get away with in most of Soul Calibur (until you hit high level and actually have to counter, and then the game just becomes about who is best at countering...).

King of Fighters has enough moves and combos for what it is: an old school traditional fighting game. It's not a combo fighter, pulling off high-number combos is supposed to be really difficult. That makes it more about skill and less about "who can get the first hit in and then juggle their opponent to death" like ****ing MvC or Blazblue.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kaze_Memaryu

CanisWolfred wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

King of Fighters has enough moves and combos for what it is: an old school traditional fighting game. It's not a combo fighter, pulling off high-number combos is supposed to be really difficult. That makes it more about skill and less about "who can get the first hit in and then juggle their opponent to death" like ****ing MvC or Blazblue.

MvC, yes. That game has terrible balancing.
BlazBlue, on the other hand, barely has any instant-kill combos since you have to gather enough meter to pull those off in the first place, and also has the burst system to get out of a combo - and not to forget, hitstun gradually decreases with increasing hits. So in that sense you're wrong.
If anything, Tekken does this gleefully by making juggles almost mandatory.

But King of Fighters feels like hit 'n run with its strict limits (just my opinion), though I won't deny it having proper balancing. Also, don't forget that this "old-school fighting system" stems from the limitations of the SNES and Street Fighter II, which arguably brought the fighting game to its roots. They kept the system to make balancing easier, since gatling-type fighters require more properties, relative hitstun calculation, damage modification, and so on - you know, the stuff a SNES couldn't possibly handle. That's alot to manage, and so far only Arc System Works and LabZero seem to get it done properly, despite gatling-types having been quite popular for some time by now.

Edited on by Kaze_Memaryu

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

CaviarMeths

I'm aware of the mechanics of Tekken and DoA and how they work. They're just nonsense.

The problem with KoF isn't that it relies on skill. That's a good thing. The problem is that each character takes about 10 minutes to learn. A lot of the fun of fighting games is learning a new character and mastering their move set. KoF, while probably my second favorite fighting series, did not grant me that satisfaction.

And yes, newby fights in SC tend to be buttonmash-fests, but it doesn't work at all in moderately competitive matches. Combat based around dodging, countering, and Impact is still skill-based combat.

EDIT: Also, it sounds like I need to get into the BlazBlue series...

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DiscoDriver43

Mario Kart 64 i find extremely overrated. It is not as good as Mario kart Double Dash or Mario kart 7. Also, even during the 5th generation, there are several racing games such as Speed Punks, Crash Team Racing, Mickey Speedway etc that are better than it and aged better. This is a game that i would not go back to.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

GuSolarFlare

I'm getting tired of the underrated and overrated labels....
also I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion.....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

I-U
  • NSMB is the best of the NSMB series because of story.
  • Mario Kart 64 was only good in that I can say that I've played the game. It's easily the worst of the 3D Mario Karts.
  • Nintendo should explore the FPS genre more with their franchises.
  • 3D Mario games are less memorable when they don't try to focus on story.
  • Samus Aran should not be less sexualized within the Metroid series.
  • The Koopalings should've been kept to being a nice surprise, as they were in Superstar Saga, as opposed to coming back as recurring bosses.
  • The inspiration Nintendo has been getting from SMB3 and World is turning the Mario platformers stale, and I dislike those classics more for that influence.
  • Super Princess Peach 2 should be a game on the 3DS, without emotions and mostly her own arsenal of power-ups, which can include Pink Gold Peach.
  • Luigi deserves his OWN sidescroller, and Nintendo should feel embarrassed for slapping him in as a star of remixed Mario games.
  • Nintendo is like the coach of a basketball team of all-star talent, their IPs, that usually fails to make the plays to tap into their potential to win a championship.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic