Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 281 to 300 of 413

Late

@Reginald The crystal restoration is designed that way for a reason. I didn't mind restoring them at first. To me it was more rewarding to see the crystal light up slowly. It was a nice change of pace after a boss fight. It became a bit annoying later in the game but it was more thanks to the whole latter part of the game being annoying. I'm personally a huge fan of Bravely Default otherwise. Also, the restoration process takes normally 30 to 60 seconds, not 5 minutes. I can see it getting frustrating very fast if you have to tap the button 10 times more than others.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

JohnBlackstar

I agree with Bioshock. I think what made them stand out is that they actually were creative for a FPS. People were engrossed with Call of Duty, Halo, and other rinse and repeat soldier frnachises. Bioshock brought in new environments and angles for FPS. Overall nothing game changing to me personally though.

Oat wrote:

Breath of the Wild (Not a troll post I swear)
It's very good but FAR from a 10/10 people are making it out to be.

If we're going with non-Nintendo titles then I'll put the Bioshock franchise as a whole. I don't think they're that great from a story or gameplay standpoint.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention the tales of series. The combat looks ok but I cant STAND the generic god awful anime plots they keep spewing out. And they're not even GOOD anime plots

JohnBlackstar

Reginald

Late wrote:

@Reginald The crystal restoration is designed that way for a reason.

And what reason would that be? To annoy people with a mundane task that could easily be accomplished with a cutscene? I still don't appreciate it. It's a pointless feature.

Reginald

Seacliff

Reginald wrote:

Late wrote:

@Reginald The crystal restoration is designed that way for a reason.

And what reason would that be? To annoy people with a mundane task that could easily be accomplished with a cutscene? I still don't appreciate it. It's a pointless feature.

Because the game gives you the choice of overpowering crystals and destroying them, leading to a separate ending, despite it being called the 'normal' ending. It's pseudo-secret in the game because it wouldn't be the same if it was just a dialogue choice.

Seacliff

Reginald

@Seacliff Huh.

Guess I'm glad I sold it. Something like that would have been a lot more angering to me.

Reginald

GrailUK

Anything by Telltale. The choose your response parts are not a game, and the quick time events have as much playability as a Dragon's Lair laser disc. In disbelief they are actually popular tbh.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Haru17

Strict definitions for what a game is are stupid — especially when there's already a genre for them called adventure game — but I think Telltale writing is pretty stupid as well. Other games in that style with better puzzles and narratives like Life is Strange are some of the best games I've ever played.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

kkslider5552000

I don't really care about whether its a game or not, but regardless of ANYTHING, the first season of the Walking Dead still embarrasses nearly any other story driven game I've played or seen (and from what I understand, the entire rest of the Walking Dead as a franchise). And I have played great stories in games where I WISH they would've done bs qte stuff over what they actually did (Fragile Dreams IMMEDIATELY comes to mind).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

Sorry, but Walking Dead S1 has the flaws of every other Telltale game. Obvious writing, fake decisions, random character deaths with neither emotional meaning not plot consequence.

CanisWolfred

Only Telltale games I've gotten into are the Sam & Max games. Seriously, what was wrong with that style of Adventue game? At least those tried to feel like games instead of pretending they're TV Mini-series where the plot is written by committee. I've got Tales of the Borderlands via PS+, and I'm hoping the comedy will at least hold my attention the way that Sam & Max did.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GrailUK

@CanisWolfred I have to disagree that people foamed at the mouth over Dragons Lair. I hardly ever saw one and they gathered dust. Most would rather just watch one being played than play it. It got slated in magazines for not having any gameplay. The only redeeming feature was Don Bluth's artwork.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Only Telltale games I've gotten into are the Sam & Max games.

I actually have the first season of that and...the comedy didn't really work for me. That's not a point against it because comedy is super subjective (except for doing an American Idol parody thing, **** off with that), but I didn't get much out of it regardless.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

CanisWolfred wrote:

where the plot is written by committee.

That's the biggest problem with Telltale games. Either the writers are just bad and have nothing to tell, most of the studios and license holders don't allow them to do anything but retread, or their management and development processes are too confining.

But honestly their games are just too short to feature any stories worth telling or make —any— of the plot revelations feel earned beyond 'I've bought the first four episodes, the last one must let me beat the bad guy.' I mean hour and 20 minute episodes? Come on, Life is Strange did like three times that with most of its episodes!

CanisWolfred

@Haru17 I was actually referring to the fact that the stories do have some player involvement, but the way it's done doesn't seem much different than story directions being determined by polls and surveys. Not really my thing. It reminds me why I don't bother getting multiple endings in games even when they're offered, I care more about the journey than the destination, and Telltales journies haven't been worth it for me so far. If that's just me "playing it wrong" and I should've done something different, then maybe they should've focused on making the gameplay part compelling, so getting a bad ending doesn't feel like I wasted my time?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

Pick just about any first party SNES game (Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, the DKC trilogy, Super Metroid, ALttP, Mario Kart). Their formulas have either been outdone by successive entries or recycled so many times that there's just nothing special about them anymore.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

RancidVomit86

PUBG - I have a blast when playing squads with friends but I have no idea how people do solo for hours. I get very bored with solo.

The Last of Us and Uncharted - Feels like I'm just holding forward and occasionally pressing a button to advance with holding forward.

Castlevania (NES) - I enjoy the setting but there's something I can't explain. It just didn't keep me locked in. I try all the time to play Castlevania but get bored with it.

JRPG - Most are too slow paced for me. The ones with real time battles are ok but turn-based is way too slow. There's only a handful of turn-based JRPG's I like such as Grandia, Legend of Legaia, Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy X, and Legend of Dragoon.

Starfox (SNES) - I thought it was a dull rail shooter with terrible frame rate.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Octane

RancidVomit86 wrote:

The Last of Us and Uncharted - Feels like I'm just holding forward and occasionally pressing a button to advance with holding forward.

I'd like to see someone try and play through these games while only holding forward and pressing a button occasionally. Good luck.

Octane

RancidVomit86

@Octane Felt too scripted. Almost like watching a movie instead of playing a game. Left me feeling like there was little interaction as a player. Is that a more suitable explanation of my opinion then?

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.