Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 261 to 280 of 413

Octane

Meowpheel wrote:

In the case of this thread, the textier the wall, the better.

I'm going to prepare a 20-page essay on BOTW in that case

Octane

TuVictus

I would definitely get the popcorn out for that one!

TuVictus

Iggy-Koopa

GTA.

Perhaps it's my age, and I'm tiring of the series in general. Perhaps it's generic twaddle hyped by the name alone. Either way, yeah. I just don't get it.

Nintendo since 1978

SharkAttackU

MegaTen wrote:

ClockworkMario wrote:

Super Mario 64. Controls terribly, camera is bad and it's not pleasant to look at at all. Revolutionary for its time, sure, but not a good experience today.

I concur. It wasn't really a "true" Mario game to me, even at the time. It has a great soundtrack I think. But it lacks truly charming characters, and it's just a very empty game to me. Collecting stars in these small "open", and empty levels wasn't my idea of enjoying a new Mario game. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was pretty much the same story for me, but that game has aged much better in my opinion.

Yes. All of this. The touchy controls, awful sound, terrible combat, visiting the same worlds over and over again... No very fun for me, even back in the day.

Another one is Gravity Rush. Terrible gameplay. Atrocious combat. All style, no substance. Mediocre at best.

SharkAttackU

Octane

SharkAttackU wrote:

Another one is Gravity Rush. Terrible gameplay. Atrocious combat. All style, no substance. Mediocre at best.

I think you played the wrong game, and since when is Gravity Rush overrated?

Octane

CanisWolfred

Well, he didn't say it was overrated, and this thread is about games that aren't as good as people say. Gravity Rush is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'll admit that the gravity movement and combat are difficult to figure out, and far from intuitive. If Monster Hunter hadn't proved to me that mastering a difficult control scheme was totally worth it by the time I played it, I'm not sure I would've liked it as much as I did. The story is also blatantly obtuse. It's not so much a story as it is a series of visual experiences that evoke emotions, but only barely tied together in a meaningful way. It's certainly the weakest part of the game. I always felt it tied into the "rush" part of the game - it goes by fast and might seem like a blur, but it leaves me with a sense of exhiliration and a need to dive in and experience it all over again. I guess you could compare it to a good rollercoaster - it may not be everyone's thing, but those who love it can't get enough of it.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

CanisWolfred wrote:

It's not so much a story as it is a series of visual experiences that evoke emotions, but only barely tied together in a meaningful way.

So it's better than 95% of video game stories because it actually made you feel something, anything?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

@Snaplocket Whoa whoa whoa there buddy! Comparing Devil May Cry 3 to its successors still requires some context. It's clunky compared to what exactly? There are literally 3 other games that are even remotely as deep and fast-paced in the Hack 'n' slash genre, and those are the ones you're comparing it to! Not to mention I don't recall any other action game before DMC3 having multiple combat styles (most would go for completely different characters. DMC3 had both!), so while it's regrettable that they didn't offer the ability to switch between them on the fly, it's not like they had anything else to really go off of. I mean, maybe Viewtiful Joe, whose developer now works alongside DMC's original director? But that was 2D...

I'm not trying to invalidate your criticisms, but they really come off as nitpicks. At the very least, it's clearly in the same tier as the others, and unless you want to argue that the legions of God War and Dynasty Warriors clones are better games, I don't think you've really said anything that makes it seem any worse than the praise it's gotten - after all, "not as good as Bayonetta or DMC4 pretty much sums up almost the every other action game I've played at this point. Ninja Gaiden Black is #5 on the extremely tiny peak of a mountainous genre. It's still a long way to the bottom.

Actually, I could say this about a lot of the games people have said were "terrible" - I think you guys are blowing things out of proprtion, especially in a thread like this. I find it very hard to believe that games like Super Mario 64 are some of the worst games of their kind, especially after some of the suff I've played even recently. Seriously, I just want to sit some of you guys down and force you to play Yooka-Laylee, at least the first week version I suffered through, for over 10 hours, and see if you still can tell me Super Mario 64 still has a "terrible" camera. Or play through The Last Tinker and tell me Super Mario 64's controls are sloppy. Or even play through ****ing Knack and tell me that anything in it is more memorable, well-designed, and visually appealing than 1996's Super Mario 64! Seriously, I would be amazed by any of that. There's a lot of terrible games out there, and as well as a lot of sub-par games that only barely have anything going for them, and I think it would do us all a world of good to keep that in mind when we're critical about something, especially games that get a ton of praise.

Granted, I'm still very glad I've been seeing more mature discussion here than similar threads we've had in the past, where everyone seemed to be in a competing to see how could make the most mountains out of molehills. I just hope we can keep it that way.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Yooka Laylee, even at its unpatched worst, still had a better camera than SM64. That has to one of the clunkiest and most infuriating games ever made, even if it was revolutionary at the time.

Mario 64 just gets a pass because there was nothing to even compare it to when it first came out, whereas Yooka Laylee has no excuse for its flaws.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

@Snaplocket Right. Like I said, SM64 had an excuse, while Y-L doesn't. And future 3D Mario games VASTLY improved the in-game camera.

But the camera in SM64 is still worse than in almost any other game I've ever played.

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred Yooka Laylee, even at its unpatched worst, still had a better camera than SM64. That has to one of the clunkiest and most infuriating games ever made, even if it was revolutionary at the time.

Mario 64 just gets a pass because there was nothing to even compare it to when it first came out, whereas Yooka Laylee had no excuses for its flaws.

I just don't see that. I must've spent at least 2 hours on the first boss in Yooka-Laylee just because the controls and camera basically made it impossible. At the very least, I can firmly say that Super Mario 64's levels were designed to accomodate for its camera, with the main exception of Rainbow Road - I had too many complaints about that level to count, though, and bad camera angles are just one of them. I certainly don't remember having any issues when I played the N64 version, and I played the NDS version first and was actively comparing the two! It always seemed to point to where I needed it to, and the only times it ever seemed to screw up was when I was trying to look for/do stuff I wasn't really supposed to e.g. go to places that I wasn't sure if I could, or jump leaps that I was probably not gonna make, or to see if there was more coins or 1-ups hidden away in places I couldn't see, which instead explained why I couldn't see them - they weren't there. There was nothing there. I wasted a 1-up.

But Yooka-Laylee? Even when the game was practically showing me what to do, I could not replicated, because absolutely everything about that game's design was sloppy! The controls, the levels, the camera - it's like they were trying to port a failed Banjo-Threeie to an engine they had never used before, while shoehorning in elements and characters that had nothing to do with what they originall designed, so in the end, nothing ever felt right or worked the way it was supposed to.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Interesting. I had no issues at all defeating the first boss. I mean, yeah, the fact that the camera would suddenly and jarringly change angles with no warning like in an old Resident Evil game was unpleasant, but I wouldn't attribute any of my deaths in the first week or so of playing the game to camera issues.

On the other hand, I died CONSTANTLY in SM64 thanks to the fact that the camera would often get stuck in a weird position or angle and wouldn't move out of it, causing me to fall over a ledge or into lava. That's not even mentioning that game's weird, sloppy physics that make it feel like I'm barely even in control of Mario.

I had such a bad experience with that game that I feel stressed even just watching footage of it now.

Part of my problem might be that I didn't play SM64 when it first released, but a game shouldn't age THAT poorly.

So yeah, I guess this is a good segue to another unpopular opinion: I enjoyed what I played of Yooka Laylee a lot more than what I played of Super Mario 64. ESPECIALLY after the updates fixed most of the camera issues.

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred Interesting. I had no issues at all defeating the first boss. I mean, yeah, the fact that the camera would suddenly and jarringly change angles with no warning like in an old Resident Evil game was unpleasant, but I wouldn't attribute any of my deaths in the first week or so of playing the game to camera issues.

On the other hand, I died CONSTANTLY in SM64 thanks to the fact that the camera would often get stuck in a weird position or angle and wouldn't move out of it, causing me to fall over a ledge or into lava. That's not even mentioning that game's weird, sloppy physics that make it feel like I'm barely even in control of Mario.

I had such a bad experience with that game that I feel stressed even just watching footage of it now.

Part of my problem might be that I didn't play SM64 when it first released, but a game shouldn't age THAT poorly.

Okay, yeah, I'm just going to assume we have the exact opposite experiences and expectation of how a camera should work in a platformer and leave it at that, because otherwise I'm going to have an anneurism over how camparing any video game camera to RE Classic doesn't instantly equate to the worst thing ever.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Maxz

So I'm playing through the Ace Attorney prequel, and I'm really enjoying it; it feels sleek, modern in execution, charmingly quaint in aesthetics, richly designed and animated, and just generally an enthralling story to be part of.

It makes me think back to my (limited) experience with the first AA game (Phoenix Wright), and I can't except the conclusion that I... didn't like it near as much. Which feels somewhat sacrilegious to say, as I know the main series AA games have got a huge following.

I'm aware many of the design choices were deliberate, but after completing the first chapter, I really haven't been able to get into the aesthetic or general 'feel' of the game. The backdrops are generally very clinical and modern, while the characters set against them are so flamboyantly twisted as to be unsettling, and absurd without being charming. Gumshoe is a stick in the mud, and Maya sort of flips from being forlorn, to so generically peppy and enthusiastic that it seems pretty one-dimentional. I'm just struggling to find something to hold onto in that game, when everything is either bland modernity, or tacky, crass, flambo-villains.

Do things change or broaden out much after the first chapter? I'm thinking about going back to it after I've finished the prequel, as I got the original trilogy on the eShop. Mind you, the sequel to the prequel has just come out as well, so there's also the option of that.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Ralizah

Maxz wrote:

I'm aware many of the design choices were deliberate, but after completing the first chapter, I really haven't been able to get into the aesthetic or general 'feel' of the game. The backdrops are generally very clinical and modern, while the characters set against them are so flamboyantly twisted as to be unsettling, and absurd without being charming. Gumshoe is a stick in the mud, and Maya sort of flips from being forlorn, to so generically peppy and enthusiastic that it seems pretty one-dimentional. I'm just struggling to find something to hold onto in that game, when everything is either bland modernity, or tacky, crass, flambo-villains.

Do things change or broaden out much after the first chapter? I'm thinking about going back to it after I've finished the prequel, as I got the original trilogy on the eShop.

Not sure what you mean by "first chapter," since Maya is only introduced in the second case.

Anyway, the first game gets really good in the fourth and fifth cases. These games tend to build from episodic and comedic early cases to more dramatic and well-developed later cases. The series itself builds a surprisingly deep and fascinating mythology that all comes together in the thrilling third game, Trials and Tribulations. Incidentally, that third game has one of my all-time favorite video game villains.

The entire trilogy is filled with wonderfully absurdist humor and drama heightened to the point of camp. It's one of the series' more charming and distinctive features.

Edited on by Ralizah

Oat

Breath of the Wild (Not a troll post I swear)
It's very good but FAR from a 10/10 people are making it out to be.

If we're going with non-Nintendo titles then I'll put the Bioshock franchise as a whole. I don't think they're that great from a story or gameplay standpoint.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention the tales of series. The combat looks ok but I cant STAND the generic god awful anime plots they keep spewing out. And they're not even GOOD anime plots

Edited on by Oat

So zetta slow!
3DS Friend code : 0662-8265-1183
NNID: CaptainCharacter
Switch Friend code: SW-6964-7226-0016

Switch Friend Code: SW-6964-7226-0016 | 3DS Friend Code: 0662-8265-1183 | My Nintendo: Oat | Nintendo Network ID: CaptainCharacter

kkslider5552000

Maxz wrote:

Do things change or broaden out much after the first chapter? I'm thinking about going back to it after I've finished the prequel, as I got the original trilogy on the eShop. Mind you, the sequel to the prequel has just come out as well, so there's also the option of that.

I dunno what to tell you. While things do get better, Ace Attorney was charming, cheesy and endearing in all the right ways pretty immediately. But to be fair, the early parts of the first game is both the easiest to figure out and the least comedic of maybe the whole series, so two of the series' main appeal improved pretty quickly from there.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Reginald

Bravely Default comes to mind.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, but not a great one either. The biggest problem I had with it was restoring the crystals where you had to repeatedly mash the button in succession. Maybe the fault doesn't lie so much with the game itself, as I only had an original launch 3DS at the time I was playing it (which I'm told had issues with button mashing responses), but it was an absolute chore to do. Restoring crystals would take me well over five minutes of nonstop button mashing, and by the time it was finally through, I was plain tired out and frustrated. It's bad enough that I have to do this with one crystal, worse that I have to do this for the remaining three and THEN do it all over again because of a fairy's antics. When I learned that, I gave up on the game and sold it. I don't understand the necessity of having to restore the crystals in this way. Isn't a cutscene enough?

That was my biggest gripe with the game. But besides that, the characters were also annoying and not very engaging. Agnes was especially grating on the nerves. There were probably other things I didn't like, but those two stuck out the most for me.

It's kind of a shame though. I probably would have liked it a lot more if it weren't for these, especially the former.

Reginald

Qwertyninty

Botw... splatoon 2.... Games ive actually put many hours into and is my come away.

Qwertyninty

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.