Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 301 to 320 of 413

Bolt_Strike

I've only played Uncharted 3, but yeah, those games are way too scripted. I've never played a game with so many QTEs and so much context sensitivity in my life. The other thing is that this game is full of genre roulette and just switches between a platforming section, a shooting section, a puzzle solving section, and an escape sequence ad nauseum throughout the entire game. It's pretty clear that this is just a movie with some interactivity more than a legitimate game, the gameplay elements only exist to serve the storyline and do little else.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MsJubilee

@RancidVomit86 The last of us,Uncharted and Gears of war basically follow the same formula. Go to a new area while talking about the story for a while,kill all the enemies that spawned in said area,cutscene. Rinse and repeat.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

EvilLucario

Minecraft. I prefer having something tangible to do that the game tells me to do, a clear end objective. Minecraft doesn't offer that at all, and even then Terraria is better.

Also couldn't get into Pikmin, but I'm also not an RTS guy so that's a bit unfair.

Biggest example I can think of is Undertale. It's a fine enough experience, but definitely not GOTY/GOAT material.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Chalupa

Yeah I've always felt like the Uncharted series was pretty overrated. It's cool and all but like not the greatest series ever like some people hype it up to be. The Pikmin games always looked cool to me, but when I finally got the chance to play Pikmin 1, I really couldn't get into it. I just couldn't figure out why the games are so loved.

Trust in yourself
https://vid.me/Chalupa
https://mastodon.social/@Chalupa

Octane

MsJubilee wrote:

@RancidVomit86 The last of us,Uncharted and Gears of war basically follow the same formula. Go to a new area while talking about the story for a while,kill all the enemies that spawned in said area,cutscene. Rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of 3D Mario games; Enter a level, do some stuff, get a star. Rinse and repeat.

Octane

Kimyonaakuma

I definitely find Smash Bros to be overrated. They're aren't necessarily bad, and it's a cool concept but I find it such a grind to play. It's just not very enjoyable for me.

Ocarina of Time is also really overrated in my opinion. Yes it's pretty good and was probably a big deal when it came out due to it being the first 3D zelda game, but I don't find it that enjoyable. It has a slow start and once it builds up and you start the adult portion of the game it kind of fizzles out after one or two temples.
I can appreciate that people enjoy it though, it could just be due to my age and because I grew up playing zelda games that executed Ocarina of Time's gameplay elements a lot better. I find that Twilight Princess suffers from similar issues but people don't enjoy that game as much anyway.

Kimyonaakuma

MsJubilee

@Octane But in those games you're actually playing them.You're not getting interrupted by a stupid cutscene every 3 minutes after killing some enemies from an area.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Bolt_Strike

CreamyDream wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Pick just about any first party SNES game (Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, the DKC trilogy, Super Metroid, ALttP, Mario Kart). Their formulas have either been outdone by successive entries or recycled so many times that there's just nothing special about them anymore.

Aaahhcktually, not really.

Super Mario World: There hasn't been a single 2D Mario game structured particularly like Super Mario World since... Super Mario World. All the NSMB games follow SMB3's structure, not SMW. On top of that, I wouldn't say that any NSMB game supplanted Super Mario Bros 3 (much less the very unique Super Mario World) at all.

DKC Trilogy: The only game in the original SNES DKC Trilogy that has been supplanted is DKC1, which got blown out the water by Donkey Kong Country Returns.

DKC2 and DKC3 however still remain unmatched. Thematically, both games are extremely unique and are in settings that have never been revisited since. And in terms of gameplay, they both include the action team mechanics and far more animal buddies than just Rambi which also have not been revisited since and are a massive aspect of the game.

Super Metroid: It's the only genuinely open-ended 2D Metroid there is other than the NES original (which aged badly).

Every other 2D Metroid railroads you the entire time;they're all linear games (Zero Mission, Fusion, Samus Returns)

Also, I'd still rather play A Link to the Past over a Link Between Worlds, and Yoshi's Island SNES being supplanted is still debatable because Yoshi's Island DS and Woolly World have some aspects that are arguably worse than the SNES original.

I think you're just plainly wrong. Super Mario World, DKC2, and Super Metroid are still many people's favorite games in those respective series for many very valid reasons that have nothing to do with nostalgia. No games that followed have been able to surpass them yet.

These are all pretty trivial things though, nothing mechanically really stands out about them except for DK not having team ups, and even that's pretty gimmicky when it's actually utilized.

Also, you're exaggerating with Super Metroid, Super railroads you just as much as any other Metroid game. The difference is that Super has more exploits for sequence breaking than any other Metroid game.

And they were surpassed, by 3D versions of their formulas. Games like the sandbox Mario games, OoT and BotW, and the Prime trilogy have done more for those series than any other 2D game combined not named Samus Returns.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

@MsJubilee There's way more gameplay and depth to those games than some give them credit for. Yes, they're focused on a narrative, but that doesn't mean the gameplay is bad per se. I thought that TLOU was outstanding from a story perspective, but I loved the gameplay too. It all comes together very well I think.

Octane

RancidVomit86

So this is a thread asking for people's OPINIONS and then someone popping in to just say that your OPINION is wrong and theirs is right? Just to sum things up.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

RancidVomit86

@CreamyDream I wasn't targeting you. I was just saying in general but yea I get it. You're right.

Btw, I didn't ever play Fusion or Zero Mission so I will have to take anyone's word for it. Honestly, the last Metroid I played was Super Metroid. Didn't even play Prime.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Bolt_Strike

CreamyDream wrote:

DKC2 and 3's team up mechanics are not gimmicks; they're integral to the entire game's design.

Firstly, being able to switch between Diddy/Kiddy and Dixie whenever you want is a massive aspect of the game.
Each Kong has differences in playstyle and not only is it necessary to play the game as efficiently as possible and get all the secrets, but it also makes the games far more replayable since you get to complete levels as whichever of the two Kongs you want (much like Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in Sonic 3K and Mania)
Being able to throw your partner Kong is also extremely important for finding all the secrets and allowing you to approach levels differently- any experienced DKC player knows this.

If you're just using throwing to find secrets, it's not really integral to the game. The game doesn't really utilize the throwing much in its gameplay, mechanics, or gimmicks, it's basically just "Press to get secret". Otherwise, the throwing offers nothing that switching didn't already do.

CreamyDream wrote:

Secondly, DKC2 and 3 have by FAR the best bonus levels and secrets in the entire franchise. As a huge fan of DKCR and Tropical Freeze, this was easily the biggest disappointment and the single largest reason as to why DKC2 and 3 are still the best.
Every single Bonus Level is new, fun, and interesting; and on top of that, the secret levels and final boss they unlock you are excellent.

Trivial. They're basically just mini games designed for 100%ing. Not part of the core gameplay.

CreamyDream wrote:

Lastly, the animal buddies are also sorta undeniably a huge deal too. The spider, elephant, snake, parrot, and marlin are amazing additions to the games and add a wonderful amount of variety while still being entirely faithful to the core DKC gameplay.

Animal Buddies are closer to level gimmicks than actual gameplay mechanics, they're restricted to certain levels and designed to work with certain level gimmicks. They're great, but nothing really major.

CreamyDream wrote:

Oh, and again- I must reiterate how unique and creative the themes and settings of DKC2 and 3 are and how they have yet to ever be revisited.

Trivial. Settings and themes don't have a lot of impact on the gameplay, it mainly affects visuals and level gimmicks. There's no gameplay mechanics that stem from those themes in the same way as games like Metroid Prime 2, Galaxy, or Odyssey.

CreamyDream wrote:

You are especially objectively incorrect when it comes to Super Metroid

In Super Metroid, you are tasked with defeating the four main baddies on Zebes. That's it. The way you approach them is mostly up to you.

There are obviously some mandatory things you must do, but you can skip over entire sections and powerups throughout the whole game. You don't even need to grab the Gravity Suit.

You can do this without the use of any bugs or exploits. Good wall jumping skills allow you to skip over a lot of things.

No subsequent Metroid release allows you to do this. You are actually just wrong here.

This makes Super Metroid by far the most interesting to replay and speedrun.

Again, this is sequence breaking, which is done by using exploits in the game. The game doesn't really intend for you to complete the game in any order, it just doesn't block you from using game breaking mechanics like Wall Jump and Shinespark. The game does have a specific order it wants you to complete it in:

Morph Ball in old Brinstar
Missiles near where the old Kraid's Lair used to be
Bombs by beating Torizo
Super Missiles by beating Spore Spawn
Hi Jump Boots in Norfair
Varia Suit by beating Kraid
Speed Booster in Norfair
Ice Beam in Norfair
Power Bombs in Lower Brinstar
Fight Crocomire
Grapple Beam in Norfair
Fight Phantoon
Gravity Suit in Wrecked Ship
Fight Botwoon
Space Jump by beating Draygon
Screw Attack by beating Gold Torizo
Fight Ridley
Fight Mother Brain

If you're playing normally, this is the specific order you have to complete the game. This isn't BotW, you can't just wander around in any direction until you find something, you have to use special tricks to circumvent the game's design. The game at its core is just as linear as any other Metroid game.

CreamyDream wrote:

Lastly, those 3D sequels are pretty much entirely different games from their 2D counterparts altogether.
I mean, don't get me wrong: they're obviously tied to their 2D predecessors as they bear the same name, subject matter, and in some cases- even design motifs.
Despite that, they're entirely different gameplay experiences that don't really coincide much at all with their 2D counterparts, especially not enough to render the 2D experiences obsolete.

The only games that that's really a legitimate argument are the sandbox Mario games (and even then you still run, jump, collect coins, use powerups and all of the other main series Mario things in those games) and BotW (which is kind of a gameplay reboot for the 3D games, but even then the only thing really missing is dungeons). Otherwise the games all share the same core gameplay, except they actually do new things that legitimately stand out even after the series has moved on.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

CreamyDream wrote:

@Bolt_Strike I'm starting to get the impression that you simply aren't very familiar with DKC2 and 3.
Bonus Rooms aren't just for the number percentile next to your save file; they're more like getting power stars in SM64.

You need all the Kremlin or Bear Coins to get all the last levels and make it to the final confrontation K.Rool.

DKC2 and 3 are essentially 2D collectathons.

It's not really the same situation. The Kremlin/Bear coins aren't required for progression in the same way as the Power Stars in Super Mario 64, they're just required for bonuses. You can play DK and just reach the goal in every levels to get to the final boss, the extra levels and bosses are just extras.

CreamyDream wrote:

Even with that said, switching and throwing your partner are essential for making progress through the game. You can't call something that's essential to the progression of a game "trivial" within the context of the game.

No, it's not. There's few if any situations where you need to throw your partner to progress. The core of the game doesn't utilize them.

CreamyDream wrote:

Animal Buddies appear in a very large portion of the game's stages, making them something far more than gimmicks. They're more like stage set pieces; and again, they're necessary for progression.

Call them whatever you want they're still not that important.

CreamyDream wrote:

If you think a videogame's theme and setting aren't important to your enjoyment of the game, then that's your personal taste. That doesn't help your argument that these games are essentially obsolete.

I never said they were obsolete, I said they've just been done to death so many times that they're unexciting. Settings and themes don't really affect this, it's the core formulas and game mechanics that do.

CreamyDream wrote:

In regards to Super Metroid, being able to wall jump well isn't game breaking. The game expects you to learn how to do it anyway.

No, it doesn't expect you to learn it. If it expected you to learn it than that section with the Etecoons would be mandatory for completion, it's not.

CreamyDream wrote:

You aren't breaking any rules within the game by wall jumping well. The game expects you to wall jump.

If the game intended you to only play a single way in a single specific order, then they should punish you for not doing so instead of rewarding you.

The game probably does not expect you to wall jump past obstacles that traditionally require a certain ability to do so though. And they can't punish that if they don't anticipate players doing that. Notice how more recent Metroid games have little to no sequence breaks. That's because the developers got smarter, figured out what could or could not be done with exploits like Wall Jumping and Shinesparking, and designed the rooms appropriately to prevent you from using those tricks to skip sections of the game. Same thing also happens with Prime 1 in the Prime series, Prime 1 had a lot of glitches you could exploit to sequence break in that game but the later versions of the game and its sequels patched all of those things out. IDK what they wanted you to use Wall Jumps for, but clearly not for skipping powerups in the game.

CreamyDream wrote:

But with that said, let me just pretend that you are correct with all of what you said about the "sole intended experience of Super Metroid" for a moment.

... You're still incorrect to say that Super Metroid railroads you as much as Zero Mission and Fusion.

Both Zero Mission and Fusion indicate exactly where you must go next on your map.

Super Metroid does not; you have to find out yourself

That's not really a gameplay change though, that's the game providing you a hint system to tell you where to go. The actual level design is still similar in terms of linearity.

CreamyDream wrote:

Lastly, with your argument about 3D vs 2D entries; I couldn't disagree with you any more.

If anything, the 2D Metroid vs Metroid Prime are the most different in play style, not Mario.

And no, they... Just don't share the core gameplay. The mere fact that you are challenged with moving within a 3D environment fundamentally changes how you play the entire game.

Yeah no, moving in a 3D environment doesn't fundamentally change anything, the games still feel the same because the core mechanics are still there. Mario still has you running and jumping through levels, collecting coins, and defeating enemies. Zelda still has you exploring a massive overworld looking for dungeons and using items to explore the overworld. Metroid has you explore room based maps looking for new abilities to open up even more rooms. The 3D movement doesn't really have much of an effect, certainly not enough to throw them out as being completely different.

Bolt_Strike

Kimyonaakuma

I never thought that I would see a vaporeon argue with a kyurem over retro games...

The new switch game better add this as a feature!

Kimyonaakuma

CanisWolfred

Karma-Moment wrote:

There's no place for Telltale's kinds of games anymore 'cause their boundaries are laughably ancient. They're retro-games that go about being products differently.

Although, I must admit, that something in me still wanted to punch you as moments in The Walking Dead's 1st series really worked for me (regardless of whether those moments were drawn from labeled-hats based on feedback).

What have you been playing of theirs?

The Wolf Among Us, the first episode of Tales in the Borderlands, and...wow, not much else in their post-Walking Dead library, now that I look at it. Jurassic Park's still kind of like the newer ones, but apparently a lot of people thught that was garbage. Most of their stuff doesn't even interest me from a conceptual level (I hate anything with Zombies as a central focus, Game of Thrones is simultaneously dense and boring for me, and their Batman game just looks terrible. Probably the same artist as The Wolf Among Us, but the artsyle just doesn't work), so I haven't even really bothered with the rest. I suppose I was being unfair before, but I'm still not convinced this style could really work, or if it did, that it would work for me and my tastes in stories.

Granted, I wouldn't have to worry about it if they just made something that felt more like a game. Puzzle Agent didn't have the best writing, but I didn't care, because it was fun! Same with Sam & Max to a degree. The writing was still important, but I still felt engaged by having areas to explore and complex puzzles to solve, and the humor was more interesting because I had to work to get it. Working on a hard puzzle was less frustrating because I was still getting something out of it thanks to the quips, etc...I dunno, I really don't agree that this old style have no life left in it. The fact that old-school PC Adventure games seem to be making a resurgance definitely points to that.

Kimyonaakuma wrote:

I never thought that I would see a vaporeon argue with a kyurem over retro games...

Stick around, you'll see far weirder stuff at least 3 times a week. Except on Arbor day, of course.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LuckyLand

@Snaplocket Skyrim is a great game but imho it is at the same time overrated compared to the previous TES game, Oblivion. Oblivion is imho a lot better. I have played it on PS3 but unfortunately right now I have it only on pc, and on pc there's no way to (properly) play it with a gamepad, so I prefer playing Skyrim. I think I'd be still playing Oblivion a lot more than Skyrim if it had full gamepad support, but since only Skyrim has full gamepad support on pc I ended up playing Skyrim a huge amount of hours and almost dismiss Oblivion. Skyrim is a great game, but really I can't like it as much as I will always love Oblivion.
Elder Scrolls as a series imho is underrated, not overrated.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

LuckyLand

Ok probably "underplayed" would be more appropriate you are right. Except Skyrim as far as I know it is played by a huge amount of people. Previous ones were rather "niche games" as far as I know. @Snaplocket

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

CanisWolfred

Elder Scorlls: Oblivion was actually a big hit and roughly as popular as Skyrim was. Like GTA3, though, it's long been overshadowed by its successor.

@Snaplocket You do have a point, they're meant to capture that blockbuster movie feel. Granted, I feel like Uncharted was the only one series I've played that really nailed that, while others, like Gears of War, just have worthless plots and gameplay that feels like its on-rails to a degree.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Yeah, but what about Oblivion's NPCs, dungeons, and level design? Everything in Skyrim was just interesting enough that it felt worthwhile. The overworld wasn't just nondescript land, it had bluffs with hidden treasure chests and cliffside fortresses.

I really enjoyed Oblivion and it's what got me into TES in middle school, but it's pretty hard going back after playing Skyrim. I feel like Skyrim was the last big RPG/open world that lived up to the hype in every aspect. The classless progression was so intuitive and rewarding, it had so many quests even outside of the radiant stuff. Like, Skyrim had a just incredible diversity of stuff in it even for a Bethesda RPG. And the world is the most consistently rewarding and interesting I've ever explored. So many secrets, loot piles, jumping puzzles, and pieces of environmental storytelling were baked into it.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.