Video: Nintendo's Wild Gunman And Sega's Bank Panic Face Off In A Deadly Shootout

Posted by Damien McFerran

Which one is the quickest on the draw?

Back in the '80s, it wasn't uncommon to see Sega and Nintendo launch games with similar themes in order to compete with one another, and a good example of this rivalry is the similarity between the NES light gun title Wild Gunman and the Sega Master System outing Bank Panic.

Both had their origins in the arcades, but it would be on the domestic battleground that they would become mortal enemies. Wild Gunman would find enduring fame thanks to cameo role alongside Elijah Wood's child-like face in the second Back to the Future movie, whereas Bank Panic is all but unknown by those who don't count themselves as hardcore Sega fans.

Popularity doesn't always guarantee quality though, and our friends over at The Sega Channel have decided to answer the question that's on everyone's lips — which title is best?

Check out the video below and let us know what you think by posting a comment.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

I love the art for Bank Panic. Who put Photobooth cowboy props on that decaffeinated bank associate?

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

LOL I was hoping the BTTF reference would be there. Stupid little Elijah Wood... baby's toy my ass. Have fun with your stupid Pepsi bottles that you can't open with your own hands, kid.

outburst

outburst said:

Wild Gunman reminds me of Duck Hunt and Elevator Action on the Famicom. Some of the titles I've played early on the Famicom.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I remember playing Wild Gunman in the arcades. Never heard of Bank Panic though. I wasn't a big SEGA freak until the Genesis hit the market.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

What is the best Master System light gun game. (I remember there being one that was good but I don't think it is in the list on Wikipedia).

Its not a port (Although I think Operation Wolf was ok as well).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

"on the original Warioware*

Wild Gunman was a good test as to whether the GBA emulation was as good as I thought it was. (It is still not perfect - I have the original cart as well and I can get 10 points higher on the real one on grid mode consistently).

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Basically if the Bank Panic had light gun support and a different song, it would be the better game.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I have a feeling that a majority of the NA readers would pick Wild Gunman, while the EU readers might gravitate more toward Bank Panic since the Master System was much more successful in EU while the NES was king in NA.

Asaki

Asaki said:

I don't know. Bank Panic is one of my favorite arcade games ever, but the SMS port of it is not that great.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

The debate will rage on for decades to come, but one thing is for certain....
Nothing beats the 80s gaming artwork.