Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Fifty

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokémon again! Trophies! Game Boy! More!

We're up to issue 50 of this series, which means two things — this idea is beyond old, and the hype for Super Smash Bros. has been bundling along for quite a while. Consider the fact that we didn't even start this run when screenshots were already flowing on Miiverse, and you'll have a rough idea of how many have been posted by Masahiro Sakurai.

Entirely unfazed, Sakurai-san continues his daily posts in the Director's Room Miiverse community. Last week revealed some interesting details on items, assists and trophies, though the stand out reveal for some was the funky Game Boy stage in the 3DS version.

You can check out last week's Pic of the Day entries below — click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

4th August

5th August

6th August

7th August

8th August

Plenty to enjoy this week, so let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (263 votes)

The Sablé Prince points the way to release

Sadly the Sablé Prince's snake form can't point - oh dear...

Three Radiant pieces to form one powerful weapon

Pit prepares to demonstrate its beam blast

11%

Victini and Xerneas offer Pikachu some support

10%

Dr. Wily reacts to hearing that the new games will have more Trophies than Brawl

Poor old Phantom, already in the Trophy bargain bin

The 3DS version is rocking some retro style in this Game Boy stage

49%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them, to be honest

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I made a joke about Phantom being the only one on sale too on Miiverse

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

That week was pretty..well "meh" for me. I won't get the 3DS version anyway, so I never really care for the version-exclusive stuff there and the items? Eh..he didn't really explain the Assist Trophy, not the biggest fan of Pokemon and I just don't like Kid Icarus (and yes, I played all 3 games)

Geez...I'm pretty dang negative today :|

@True_Hero that's the Pokemon stage on Wii U. I think it's the room of one of the Elite Four, but I'm not 100% sure

Hony

Hony said:

It is surely very likely that the gameboy screen is a stage, but I find it annoying that every site I've seen has posted about it as if it was emphatically stated. We don't technically know if it is a stage yet. Could be a waiting room, a mode, a fun extra feature, who knows.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Sorry for being off-topic, but are Nintendo doing anything for Gamescom? Press conference or Nintendo Direct?

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'll go with the Game Boy screen. Already one of my favourite 3DS stages- that is, IF it is a stage, and if it moves through various Game Boy titles.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Like the Pokemon ones the best. Can't wait for the 3DS version of this game. I'm going to be playing it like crazy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Who didn't think the Game Boy stage would win? I voted for that, but I also like the Dr. Wily trophy. I also wanted the Daybreak to be an item before the Dragoon was revealed. I thought the Dragoon's return meant the Daybreak didn't make it, but thankfully that's not the case.

Wow, this is the 50th edition already? It's going to feel different when the Pic of the Day finally ends after the release of Smash Bros. Wii U. Then there will be no more staying up for that!

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I went with the Pokemon one since the Ganeboy one looks meh so far, but it is only one image.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Kaeru was a fun game that mixed platforming and RPG elements. I still don't know why they didn't release it outside Japan.

Chaos_Eevee

Chaos_Eevee said:

No idea why the Game Boy stage is getting so many votes. It looks so plain and boring so far, and the characters aren't even turned monochrome to match it (see Dedede's hammer.) Wake up, your Nostalgia is showing.

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

I love the Gameboy screen, but that new assist trophy was close. Honestly that's my favorite thing about Smash Bros., finding out about completely new series that I previously had no knowledge of.

Link506

Link506 said:

I couldn't decide between gameboy or the awesome trophy shop. I've never really been interested in trophies until now. And that gameboy stage... I hope the red light flashes when the 3ds' battery gets low like on the original gameboy!

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

More trophies than Brawl? That alone is a reason to get a vote, and with the iconic Dr.Wily on knee just make it cooler :D

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls is a far better game than Murasame's Castle, and it's a shame it's never been localized. 3DS owners and Wii U owners could really benefit from an update too.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Need a double vote option. I'm equally excited by the GB Stage screenshot as the ability to buy specific trophies. That is just genius.