Rising Star Games Is Now Ten Years Old

Posted by Karen Halloran

Celebrates with new brush logo and a promise

Hertfordshire-based game publisher Rising Star Games, the “home of Japanese games,” is celebrating its ten-year anniversary. The company’s announcement page features a splashy minute-long montage video and details how Rising Star is celebrating with events and announcements on the tenth of every month in what’s left of 2014, starting in autumn.

Rising Star Games specializes in bringing Japanese games to the West, and has published over one hundred titles in its ten years of existence. The games Rising Star has brought to Nintendo platforms include the delightful slash-‘em-up No More Heroes, the ambitious horror visual novel Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, the renowned otome Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi, and fashion magazine intern simulator Girls’ Fashion Shoot.

Like the new logo on the company’s site? Have any Rising Star favourites not mentioned here? Looking forward to the next tenth of the month? Let us know in the comments.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Rising Star... the little publisher that could. Thanks to them, I could play Muramasa: The Demon Blade and No more Heroes 1 & 2 on my PAL Wii and on proper English. May the next 10 years be even better.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Love the new logo! I like this publisher a lot! Hope we hear something from them soon for the Wii U.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I want them to put the PC version of Under Defeat HD onto Steam (Its on a PC based Arcade platform already). The shmups they have are what I am bothered about.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Happy 10th birthday Rising Star Games! Thanks for Ivy the Kiwi?, Muramasa: the Demon Blade & Rune Factory Oceans. Here's to 10 more awesome years, at least! :D

outburst

outburst said:

@Samurai_Goroh
Hey I'm on the hunt for Wii games on my WiiU since I didn't own a Wii. How would you rank Muramasa, No More Heroes 1&2, Red Steel 1&2 and Madworld? I might buy one or two from those list so I'd appreciate which you'll recommend more.

Jenraux

Jenraux said:

They're also responsible for a lot of the European Harvest Moon releases, first game I played that was published by them was Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar on the DS.

faint

faint said:

@outburst all of them are worth buying except red steel one. it's controls are really shody and broken. red steel 2 is great tho. i think you can pick up mad world on amazon for $5 btw

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Really they are only 10 years old. O.o

For some reason I thought they were older. Well I am even more impress at what they accomplished.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Whoa, 10 years already? I loved LKS, SO want a sequel on Wii U (even 3DS will do).

Shambo

Shambo said:

Well, since that red star is an instant eye catcher to me, of course many favourites aren't mentioned in a summary of a handful of titles.

Quickly scanning my collection, I'd have to add

Wii: Bit Trip Complete, Fragile Dreams, Little King's Story, Muramasa (which I also imported the US PS Vita collector's Edition from, but I can't get rid of the original can I?), NMH2

DS: Flower Sun and Rain, Contact, Snownoard Kids

PS3: Deadly Premonition.

And that was a quick scan, I may have missed quite a few.
Together with some other publishers (like Atlus, Southpeak, NIS...) this one always has my attention.

@outburst Definitely NMH2, Red Steel 2, Madworld, and Muramasa. Essential (Wii) games in my opinion. But there's really a ton of great Wii exclusive "hidden gems"!

erv

erv said:

Little kings story.

But bless them, it wasn't pushed to shop at all so the game didn't sell well. I like what they publish, but hate how they publish.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@outburst
Red Steel 1 is pretty maligned and not worth getting retrospectively. Red Steel 2 MUST have Motion Plus controllers, has an atrocious story/voice acting but has a great combat system. It is not something I've ever felt like replaying so only get it if you have what you need and it's cheap.
No More Heroes 1 is a game with some aggravating flaws but a very unique style which may just win over. No More Heroes 2 is a much better crafted game and one of my favourite Wii games. It would perhaps be more enjoyed after playing the first one.
I haven't played the other two but I would recommend Virtue's Last Reward and 999 above everything else.

arkady77

arkady77 said:

happy birthday rising sun. thank you for so many of my favourite titles,
special mention to Little Kings Story!
thanks