One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X Will Cram 85 Different Characters Into Your Humble 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Confirmed for Japanese launch this Winter

The One Piece juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down. We've only just had One Piece: Unlimited World Red here in the west, and Bandai Namco has now announced the next video game adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's famous anime and manga series: One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X.

This 3DS offering will feature 85 different characters from the One Piece universe, and according to Siliconera, you'll be able to create your own dream team of two main characters and two support characters and take them into massive pirate battles.

One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X is expected to hit retail in Japan this Winter. Given that we've seen a few One Piece games make their way to the west recently, it's fair to assume that gamers outside of The Land of the Rising Sun will also get to experience this title — presumably some time in 2015.

You can view a scan of the announcement — taken from this week's Jump magazine — below. The screens remind us of One Piece Grand Battle: Swan Colosseum on the Bandai WonderSwan Color, which is no bad thing as that game was fantastic. Let us know your initial impressions by posting a comment below.

[via siliconera.com]

rjejr

rjejr said:

Gotta love a game that puts an ! before the end of the title. Battle!

Next year will do just fine in west, Pokemon and SSB is enough for now.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Day late in paying the news but good to see or nonetheless! Can't wait to get my hands on this title.

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

As a huge One Piece fan, I'm hoping this does indeed come to the west. Living in North America I was always bummed by the fact that I missed out on some One Piece titles that managed to find their way to Europe, specifically the Ulimited Cruise games.

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

@Samuel-Flutter As a huge One Piece hater, I can't wait to taste your tears! >:3
But really I do hope this comes our way XD
Is there any gameplay details yet?

CaveDweller

CaveDweller said:

So happy about this; the Grand Battle games on DS were good fun, despite how simplistic they could be. I'll definitely be getting this, if it's available. The only complaint I have right now is that these 3D models don't look nearly as charming as the sprite work used in the DS games.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@CaveDweller They remind me of the Grand Battle models from the Gamecube games.

@Tsuzura It looks to be a 2D fighter from the image, similar to the Gigant Battle games.

I'm pretty excited for this, I recently got back into One Piece and even bought Unlimited World Red for the 3DS.

Definitely hoping it comes out in the US.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Chibi models always worry me. They're a bad sign of comical spin-off games with flawed gameplay that only gets past die-hard fans...

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

Since I FINALLY got around to watching One Piece, I would get this if it came to the U.S.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I'm waiting for one of those awesome Naruto fighting games to hit the 3ds.. Or for a One Piece game to be similar and be on 3ds..

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Oh good, I really enjoyed the GameCube Grand Battle game, despite the localization being based on the lousy (but thankfully long since abandoned) 4Kids dubbed version. Hopefully, this one will be just as good and come to the West.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@BulbasaurusRex Don't get the wrong idea though, like I mentioned in my previous post, this is similar to Gigant Battle(The 2D games).

They're only using chibi models like the Grand Battle games, don't let the title fool you.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Loved the DS Grand Battle game, but I'm not too excited for the 3D models if I see that correctly. Still, if it's good as a game, I'll live with it.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Oh my goodness, I have only watched the first eight episodes yesterday. I really need to catch up with over 650 episodes in the upcoming six months if I want to play all 85 characters.

By the way, why don't we get any Naruto games with 85 characters on the Wii U or 3DS?

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

The Super Puzzle Fighter games are the last chibi games I remember enjoying.
Then again, this is One Piece, a series I absolutely adore.
Even the filler gets a pass, as I enjoy all the characters.
Most every other animation out there has at least 1 (and usually 2 or 3) character I don't enjoy them having any focus in episodes.
Eg, I HATE Brian focused Family Guy episodes (they're usually quite political or religious and he's simply insufferable).
I don't enjoy alot of Naruto episodes due to various characters.
And Lisa Simpson is almost as unwatchable as soap opera garbage. Then again, the Simpsons have been gathering flies for years.
Gimmicks and couch gags are the highlights and they're just as tired now.
Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Luffy and Usopp will always be my favorite team, but Chopper, Robin, Brook, and Franky had aot of good moments too.
Franky lost the most appeal after the time skip, in my honest opinion, but I'd still rather watch 10 Franky episodes than one Brian episode.
I still hope that this would be the last season, as I've been waiting 6 years for the promised conclusion, but it doesn't seem likely.
Shonen Jump seems to get all the dead horse mangas (the ones that don't want to ever call it quits).
Toriyama did it and now Oda and others are doing it.
I love OP, I just want to finish collecting it.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

Guess I should start watching the show again...
...definitely excited to hear more about this though!