Super Mario Bros. 2 Stage for Super Smash Bros. 3DS Will Feature Plenty of Coins

Posted by Martin Watts

Presents a golden opportunity to fight

Nintendo's E3 digital event is only hours away, and while we're bound to receive plenty of juicy new information about the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games for Wii U and 3DS, it hasn't stopped Sakurai from posting a couple of new screenshots to Miiverse.

Today's post reveals further details about the Golden Plains stage, which is based on New Super Mario Bros. 2 and features in the 3DS version of the game. Collecting coins was a major focus in Mario's last 2D adventure on 3DS, and Sakurai and his team have therefore made it a central theme in this stage.

Pic of the day. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a game where you collect tons of coins. Thus, it's only natural that many coins will appear in this stageā€¦ Wait, is this really Super Smash Bros??

Sadly, collecting 100 coins won't give you an extra life on the battlefield, although the alternative isn't too shabby; instead your character will turn into gold, which brings with it some considerable advantages:

If you collect 100 coins, you transform into a gold fighter! For a short period of time, your attack power will increase and you won't flinch when you receive attacks. This unique stage's name is Golden Plains and it's exclusive to the 3DS version.

Like what you see? Share your thoughts below.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

So shouldn't the title of the news say "NEW Super Mario Bros. 2 stage", then?

allav866

allav866 said:

But what I wanna know is if Luigi will turn silver. Sakurai shows Luigi in the first pic, but neglects to do so in the second.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Would Luigi turn to Silver Luigi if he collects 100 coins? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't and turns gold like everybody else.

OneBagTravel

OneBagTravel said:

This game just keeps getting more interesting. Looks like it will be packed full of content. I won't be a huge fan of the $40 price tag that it will most likely sport when released.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Me likey :)
Finally some love for NSMB2. One of my fav, addicting titles on the 3DS.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wario can finally collect all the coins from this game, and seeing him in gold form would be cool. Wouldn't it be funny if Peach became Pink Gold Peach?

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I had to re-read the title too many times. Too many uses of the word 'Super' and 'Bros.'

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

This looks like a fun stage to play on and I can't wait to fight on it as a golden character.

Spooky

Spooky said:

That level layout looks a lot like Super Mario Bros 2 (or USA) to me not of the 'New' variety, other than the graphical style that is

Spooky

Spooky said:

Just checked on VC. This the first level on Super Mario Bros 2 but has plenty of coins which is completely different to it. I love how they mix things up!

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm still trying to forget New Super Mario Bros. 2 ever happened ;__;

Prime

Prime said:

@C-Olimar Mmmmm....Pikmin......I could use some of that right now......oh yeah. I'll just pop it in my Gamecube. :D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I believe the OP has Super Mario Brothers 2 confused with New Super Mario Brothers 2. Where's the pulling up and throwing vegetables mechanic? :p