Video: Here are Some Fun Game Boy Facts and Awesome Footage

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Do You Know Gaming and Vsauce3 team up

Not so long ago the Game Boy celebrated its 25th anniversary, an important landmark for one of the most important pieces of gaming hardware ever produced. We already gushed over it accordingly, but hugely popular YouTube channels Did You Know Gaming and Vsauce3 have collaborated on two videos to highlight some well-known and more obscure facts about the system.

The videos cover the original model's origins, the Virtual Boy, model variations and some fun facts about particularly expensive or well-travelled systems. The second video also reveals a few facts while showing you the consoles inner circuitry. Even if you know all of the facts, these videos have some terrific footage and images sure to bring out your sense of nostalgia.

Check them out below and let us know what you think.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

I love these two channels and I actually learnt a lot from these videos! The Game Boy was technically the same price as the 3DS? That's amazing!

MMSK786

MMSK786 said:

@Thomas: Umm... the sub-title is kind of messed up. It's supposed to be 'Did You Know Gaming...', not 'Do You Know Gaming...'.

Gravedigga13

Gravedigga13 said:

this video almost made me cry:))it shows how much love they put into the gameboy, and makes me want to replay all my nintendo handhelds:)

Dragoon04

Dragoon04 said:

I actually subscribed to Vsauce3 a month ago. They really do amazingly interesting videos.

Dragoon04

Dragoon04 said:

My very first Nintendo system was a Game Boy Color, unfortunately I was only a year old when the original Game Boy came out so I can't really relate to you guys on that.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

One of my favorite YouTube channels. Next to PeanutButterGamer and JonTron, of course...

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I haven't got much "Nostalgia" for the GBN, But the GameBoy Color on the other hand... I got my Color when I was 7 years old, and still have/play it to this day (2 Days before my 16th B-Day). I think that Nintendo's best products are definitely in the Handheld line. Nobody else can make a Portable Gaming system quite as fun/cool as Nintendo can!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@JellySplat I agree! They don't always dominate where home consoles are concerned (they certainly aren't now), but their handhelds are top of the line. Especially the 3DS which is my favorite handheld to date, and I've owned a GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS (fat, lite, DSi).

Falchion

Falchion said:

Well who hasnt pressed random buttons on a calculator for fun? I do it in Chemistry all the time!

Artwark

Artwark said:

What's the music that plays in the first half of the Did you know gaming video? Its kinda catchy!

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

@Giygas_95

I Absolutely agree. The 3DS definitely surprised me with its amazing quality (Or I guess it DIDN'T surprise me), However, The most nostalgia for me, Lies in the GameBoy Advance SP. I remember the day I got mine, I got the Red Charizard edition (Now going for about $300 dollars on Ebay). Happiest memories of my life playing my GBA-SP!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@JellySplat My brother and I got SPs for Christmas '03 right before we went on a trip to see a family member in the hospital. Only problem? We forgot our ac adapters. FAIL. DX Fortunately, I still had my regular GBA with me.

Had plenty of fun memories playing Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 that Christmas though!

@Falchion Heh, I just finished second semester chemistry recently. It was pretty tough.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@JellySplat I got Golden Sun on Wii U recently, and I just got to where you can traverse the overworld map. It's pretty interesting, and I'm quite impressed that the GBA was that capable. I wish I could play it on my 3DS...

Also, although I haven't played the actual GBA carts, my favorite GBA games are the Mega Man Zero games (I just have the DS collection). They are truly exhilarating action platformers (not to mention brutally hard). Another favorite is F-Zero Maximum Velocity. I love that one (used to hate it before I got a hang of the controls). Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission were also defining titles for the GBA. I've played through Fusion countless times.

About the Game Boy Color, I grew up with one too (technically it was my brother's). It was the clear purple type. My brother and I played a lot of Game&Watch Gallery 1, 2, and 3 on that, plus the Zelda Oracles which were great.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

@Giygas_95 Yes GS Is quite an impeccable game, don't forget to find all the Djinn!! lol!

I to have played M-Fusion countless times, very fun game.
I always played a Lime Green GBC, But I recently came across a Pokemon Yellow edition of the system, Its my new favorite :)!