New Ace Attorney Title to Take Place in the Past

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Enacting a grandfather clause?

Ace Attorney creator Shu Takumi is taking a step back with the newest instalment of the series — back in time, that is.

Alleged leaked pages from the latest issue of Famitsu reveal that the new Ace Attorney title will be set within Japan's Meiji era (1868-1912) and star an ancestor of Phoenix, Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Phoenix is known as Ryuichi Naruhodo in Japan). There's certainly a resemblance between the two characters, although Ryunosuke seems somewhat more dashing by appearances alone. That could just be the katana on his hip, though.

The full title of the game is being stated as Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken, or "Grand Turnabout Trial - The Adventures of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke." The apparent historical Japanese element in this new title might prove an interesting element if localisation comes up, as Japanese influences of previous Ace Attorney titles have often been paved over in foreign releases.

So what do you think of turning back the courtroom clock? Also, a line for all Edgeworth / Fey / Gumshoe ancestor requests will be forming on the right.

[via twitter.com, tinycartridge.com, siliconera.com]

roryscott

roryscott said:

I'm so excited to play this seeing as Shu Takumi has come back to create it and also I'm thinking that Ami Fey could be the new assistant?

JakeShapiroAdmin

JakeShapiro said:

I'm right in the middle of playing Dual Destinies, so this makes me really excited. I've always thought it was strange that the localizations of the Ace Attorney games pretend that the characters are Westerners, since they talk about Japan as if it were a foreign country. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this ancient Japan concept.

Tops

Tops said:

I really hope this gets localized (and that a physical release isn't too much to ask)

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I always enjoy the Ace Attorney games, I'm sure 6 will be no exception. I'm interested to know how the ancient Japan theme will localize, considering the amount of grammatical errors in the other games.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Its good to see Takumi will be more hands on with the latest installment of the series. I will def buy if its localized.

NickieBoy

NickieBoy said:

@ekreig That's right! I forgot the international versions take place in America. Its gona be a pain localizing this... if it is localized that is...

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Maybe the locazation won't be so hard...
Simply Phoenix has a japanese ancestor! That can be true, no matter where the story take place in the present XP
...
...
... yeah, I know, it will surely NOT be that simple since how twisted the ace attorney's plot can be ^_^;

But whatever, just hope they won't decide to keep the game Japan-exclusive only for localization issues :(

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

@BakaKnight I was thinking that could work too. The US is a melting pot, so you could easily just say that Phoenix has a Japanese ancestor.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

hope a few things happen:
1. they localize it to be in america.
2. Ninja murder cases with shurikens
3. Katana fighting sections
4. japanese school uniforms
5. a case in Mt.Fuji
6.once again all that
Untitled

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

This should be interesting, as I loved Mr. Takumi's work on the Ace Attorney trilogy (Apollo Justice...not so much). That being said, I really enjoyed Dual Destinies as well. This seems to be a way to make it fresh. I think that there will be most likely be more ancestor counterparts (i.e Edgeworth ancestor, Gumshoe ancestor, e.t). I wonder if this is a spin-off (like AA:I) or AA:6. Looking forward to this.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

They should set a game in an era with some good old fashioned witch hunts. Either Salem or McCarthy will do!

ekreig

ekreig said:

@Chubblings I'm thinking this is probably just a spinoff. In Japan at least, the main series games have always been numbered sequels (AJ was Gyakuten Saiban 4, DD is Gyakuten Saiban 5 etc) and this one is called Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Then again, that might not be the permanent title for all we know.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I bet the localization team is screaming internally right now:

"we goofed, we goofed hard"

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Meanwhile in Capcom's localisation office, some poor person screams a long string of obscenities, then swears that they're doing "this" on purpose.

ApolloJustice

ApolloJustice said:

Curious step to take in the series, it could open potential for quirks at some characters with their ancestors should we have more than Phoenix. Regardless, as long as it gets a great presentation treatment like Dual Destinies got, I'm Fine with this.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Oh! Oh! I know something they have to do for this, unless … no wait, it's too far back…

I was just thinking how hilarious it would be to have The Same Judge in it, only younger, but for that time period, he's have to be Way over 100 years old…

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

I'd love to see the localization team right now!! :P

then again this could happen:
localization director: "another game that makes our lives harder let's blame the sales and leave it unreleased. it always works!"
Capcom executives: "BRILLIANT that will cut costs!"

if that happens I'll be sad.... :/

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Apollo Justice was awful and Duel Destinies decidingly average at best, so I have no problem with the Ace Attorney series getting what could be considered a potential reboot.

Still waiting on the Edgeworth 2 localization Capcom.

jord91

jord91 said:

can anyone confirm the format? Because i want it on 3ds and not on ios or any other format for that matter,i love this series so much i can see it becoming my absolute favourite soon enough

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

No Objections here! THROWBACK ACE ATTORNEY!!!!

Also, I'd love to see Edgeworth, Maya, and Gumshoe's ancestors!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Just recently started playing Dual Destinies and really enjoying it. Also liked the Ace Attorney games that were on WiiWare so I would love to see this localized even if the only way to get it is through the e-shop.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Wouldn't they have to completely overhaul the gameplay, though? After all, part of the series plot is that the justice system was radically streamlined a few years previous to the first game in order to explain the weird trial system that the series employs.

khuenq

khuenq said:

We are all familiar with Phoenix as an American. However, that does not mean his far ancestor could not be a Japanese :)) I'm looking forward to see this Naruhodo guy in trial. You see, even with a good localization efforts spent onto this game, its Japanese origin won't change and you can feel it. So why don't we just let it returns to its Japanese nature?

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This is a bold move I can happily get behind! I hope they can implement some new gameplay though!

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

I doubt no one expected this. Given the right treatment this has the potential to be as good as the original 3, if not better.

Capcom; if you release this to the EU and it gets a physical release, you may have my money.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Because it worked so well for Apollo game... or Investigations.

Why? Why not make it with Phoenix? DD was excellent because we finally could play as him after so many years and the story was so strong... The funny thing is, there is also a sequel to DD in the works, so this could be just the appetizer for the main course. I don't know, but I have a feeling this one will be barely ok. I mean, c'mon, we play Ace Attorney for the Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright, right?