Castlevania: Dracula X And Mega Man 5 Hitting The Japanese Wii U Virtual Console Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Scream bloody murder

Next week's Japanese Wii U Virtual Console titles have been confirmed, and fans of Konami and Capcom should be pretty pleased with what's on offer.

Arguably the most notable release is Castlevania: Dracula X (known as Akumajou Dracula XX in Japan and Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss in Europe), the SNES port of the PC Engine classic Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. While it's not in the same league as the game it is based on, the stature of the series should ensure that plenty of people download it — it also hasn't had a release on the Wii Virtual Console previously. Konami is also releasing the MSX version of Quarth. Both of these titles will cost 823 Yen.

Capcom is continuing the Mega Man series by launching the fifth title in the NES / Famicom franchise. This one will set you back 514 Yen.

As ever, a Japanese release usually means that a western launch isn't too far behind — are you keen to get your hands on one of the most maligned Castlevanias in the history of the bloodline, or does the prospect of playing Mega Man 5 fill you with more excitement? Tell us by leaving a comment below.

[via twitter.com]

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

Megan Man 5 is the one NES game that I can remember playing for HOURS on end, over and over and over again, so it's a definite buy for me (when it reaches North America)... now only if the VC allowed you to use Game Genie too--as a kid I remember having some pretty awesome codes for MM5.

outburst

outburst said:

I'm still waiting for castlevania 2&3 on EU. Then I'd buy them all at once including IV. I'm holding on the Rockman series until they release all. But if they release 5 too I'd buy them all at once. Also waiting for X3 on SNES.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Would get both Castlevania X and Rondo of Blood for Wii U if Konami would start releasing more of them in Europe!!!!

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Yay, Vampire's Kiss! I love that one.

I bet I'll get a ton of people disagreeing with me when I say that I think it's more fun than Super CV IV.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I'll be picking up both if/when it comes to the NA eShop. Konami is slowly releasing the old CV games and I'm digging that. Come on Castlevania Bloodlines!

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Both for me on day one. Use to have vampires kiss in PAL for my SNES and I've been waiting for mega man 5 on wii u since it's 3ds release

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@EarthboundBenjy I think I actually agree with you. I can't remember much of it, but I think I enjoyed it more than Castlevania IV last time I played it. I remember the opening stage is really cool, at least.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Why Nintendo don´t put Turbografx games in Wii U VC? No matter, I have Rondo of Blood in my Wii already. It is better than the SNES version.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

The SNES version is just plain sad when compared to the PC Engine version. Anyone interested in this game should avoid the SNES version and go to the Wii Virtual console and grab the proper game. And while you're there, grab Gate of Thunder as well!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Mrclaycoat I always wanted to play either Gate of Thunder or Lords of Thunder. Lords looked more impressive, and was a later game so that makes sense, but the space theme of Gates interests me more than the fantasy of Lords. I fear I better pull the trigger soon before either of them drop off the Wii Shop...

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

I owned a Turbo Duo back in the day and was a huge fan of the system. Both games are truly excellent but I personally liked Gate of Thunder a bit better. I've been trying to get my hands on wii points cards (which is hard to accomplish these days!) to grab all the old Turbo Graphix/Duo games I can while they last. I would also recommend Devil's Crush if you like pinball games! Man I could nerd out all day long for my old Duo, I really miss that machine.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I think Dracula X is quite a bit different than Rondo of Blood. The level design is not the same. It's revamped rather than remade. I have Rondo of Blood, but I would like Dracula X as well.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Rondo Of Blood's better than Dracula X but Dracula X (or Vampire's Kiss to us Europeans) is still good and has more or less completely redesigned stages. Hopefully will appear on the European VC at some point.

@PinkSpider No, it never did. The only ones that did come out on the Wii Shop are Castlevania 1-3 NES, Super Castlevania 4 SNES and Rondo Of Blood PC Engine CD, as well as Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on Wiiware.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

@EarthboundBenjy No way man, I think CV DX blows IV out of the water, of course, Rondo is probably better than both.
Dracula X doesn't have the 8 direction whip thing, it gets rid of the dumb whip upgrades so you always have the best one, and it has fantastic graphics and music, not to mention, Dracula X actually has way more satisfying sounds when you hit enemies. In IV, it's kind of like a "dvvvd", in Rondo, it's kind of the same, but in DX? Man, it's like "TSHHH". Way more fun to whip stuff.

Honestly, there are even some parts about Drac X that are better than Rondo, mostly the sound effects and graphics (Not including the rad anime cutscenes).

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I have Rondo of Blood on the Wii VC, but I am still curious to try Dracula X. It's the only classic Castlevania I haven't played.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

i payed 118$ for dracula x a few years ago. ill still be downloading this. this is a good game, im sure you can find that out yourselves for around 8$. youll get it for around 110$ less than i did. i will also be transferring mega man 5 to wii u mode when it arrives.
this is all good news, notice you dont hear me crying that i feel ripped off now that its probably coming to virtual console in america.

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

I want Dracula X (snes), it never got released in the WiiShop Channel, fingers crossed!!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

It's good to see Japan getting Mega Man 5 FINALLY on their Wii U VC. Now, if only they can manage to pull off a Mega Man 6 the week after Mega Man 5 , then you know something good is happening over in "The Land Of The Rising Sun". Then it wouldn't be long before BOTH the UK and US gets their hands on both those games also. As for everyone else talking about Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood , Dracula X and all the other names it's been called. IMO, I say screw the game to oblivion and wait until Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse comes out. Sure, I know a lot of gamers may despise the hell out of that game, but to me, it's one of the best NES Castlevania games ever made.