Pokémon Trading Card Game: XY - Flashfire Expansion Arrives on 7th May

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gotta confuse us all

Earlier this year we reported on the Pokémon Trading Card Game: XY Expansion Pack, taking the hugely popular pastime into the current 'mon generation. Now the expansion pack is getting an expansion, which seems pretty normal for a Pokémon product.

The Flashfire group — including booster cards and theme decks — will hit stores around the world on 7th May, with the red hot expansion including over 100 new cards to collect. As you'd expect the focus is on fire-type Pokémon, though more details from the press release are below.

• Three new Mega Evolution Pokémon — The expansion features two powerful versions of Mega Charizard-EX (a Dragon-type Mega Charizard X and a Fire-type Mega Charizard Y), in addition to Mega Kangaskhan-EX.
  • Five new Pokémon-EX cards and four new full-art Pokémon-EX rare Ultra cards — New Pokémon-EX cards include Charizard-EX (two versions), Toxicroak-EX, Magnezone-EX, and Kangaskhan-EX.
  • New Pokémon — Over 25 Pokémon from the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y video games appear in this set, in addition to 15 Pokémon that appear in the Pokémon TCG for the very first time.
  • 15 new Trainer cards including three new full-art rare Ultra Trainer cards — New Trainer cards bring increased depth and player strategy to competitive battles.
  • Booster Packs — Packs of 10 additional cards selected from the expansion will be available.
  • Theme decks — 60-card preconstructed decks are designed to introduce players to the Pokémon TCG by enabling them to play right away.

The Booster Packs and Theme decks will include a code card that you can use in the online game, while more details can be found on the official website.

Are you a fan of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, and will you be hunting down these new cards? Gaze admiringly at the examples below and let us know.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Love the TCG, shame I'm too old :( I was a master in Primary, we even had our custom rules, made by me of course ;) I still battle my wee bro sometimes

Katzii

Katzii said:

I got the impression they were doing another handheld game.

Disappoint.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Mega EX, because EX alone wasn't dominating the TCG enough already. The Pokemon TCG can be silly fun but the starter decks are terrible and casual play isn't exactly as easy as it is with other games.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

@haniwa Up until B/W the TCG was actually really good at avoiding power creep, and then they just sort of went 'f*** it' and blew everything to stupid levels. If a Pokémon's got less than 170hp now it's susceptible to a turn one ko, it's pretty ridiculous tbh. Which is why I was interested in that Pyroar above, blocking all those fast overpowered basics that dominate at the moment.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I remember when making a 100 damage attack (200 if it was a weakness) was the biggest thing... and you needed to discard 2 energies making it so you needed two turns to use it again.... the old cards are so weak compared to the new stuff now.... and yet, I love the older cards so much more :D

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

@Cinaclov I liked how the Diamond/Pearl sets made actual deck themes, at least until HG/SS came around. Plasma cards were nothing like Galactic and Pokemon SP, but at least the new Fairy types have some synergy.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

These English cards have Japanese text in the image. The Japanese version of the cards, on the other hand, have English text in the image. :)

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

It'll be out for my birthday! W000t. Now if only I was still playing the card game. Heck, I might even scope some of the cards out anyway only because the Mega Charizards looks awesome!

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

For someone who hasn't played the TCG in around 8 years, all I can say is:

So much power creep. The base set decks probably can't stand a chance against one with these new cards :p

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I've recently gotten into the trading card game after not having played it since I was in elementary, so bring it on! :D

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

I wish they started giving more good and interesting abilities to EX´s instead of just printing the biggest numbers possible. Oh, power creep, how boring are you.

@Jollykarp
But Base Set had the most broken Trainers ever.