Mario 3D World And Zelda: Link Between Worlds Honoured At The New York Video Game Critics Awards

Posted by Damien McFerran

Both scoop best game accolades

If you're a Nintendo fan, then you'll obviously be aware that both Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds were two of 2013's best video games. However, it's always nice to see the wider world recognise this fact, which is precisely what happened at the 3rd annual New York Video Game Critics Circle awards, which took place yesterday at New York University’s Pfizer Auditorium in Brooklyn.

Link's critically-acclaimed 3DS adventure scooped Best Handheld Console Game, while Mario's Wii U outing was voted Best Kids Game of 2013.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart’s Emmy Award-winning writer Daniel Radosh hosted the awards, and the panel consisted of Chelsea Stark (Mashable), Evan Narcisse (Kotaku), Jill Scharr (Tom’s Guide), Mike Futter (Game Informer) Harold Goldberg (New York Times, NPR) and Jeff Bakalar (CNET).

Do you think these games were deserving winners? Sound off in the comments section below.

[via gonintendo.com]

Related Games

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

CNET cannot be trusted. (The parent organisation forced them to change their product of the year because they didn't like its automatic advertisement skipping for over the air TV). That shows its integrity is totally compromised. (If it ever had any they install malware (Toolbar Junk) via download.com as a standard thing now). If they can be influenced like that then they can be influenced by other situations to review things well the parent organisation wants.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I can't speak to A Link Between Worlds as I am not a Zelda fan, but Super Mario 3D World is easily one of the best games that I played last year and I believe that it deserves every award it gets.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Zelda, ALBW, hands down, the best game I have played all year!
Mario 3D World, best 'kids' game? Yeah, they got that right, I just dont get this Mario! What am I missing?

Lance168

Lance168 said:

Super Mario 3D World only getting KIDS game?!? Clearly they have not played the post worlds!

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I can't say if 3d world is good as I have not picked it up but as a Zelda fan ALBW was easily the best zelda game I have played in years and one of the reasons why is there was no hand holding in that game.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

Mario 3D World and Zelda ALBW both very much modern gaming masterpieces and I agree the post worlds in Mario 3D World are Brutal and not kiddie at all ..

Aile

Aile said:

ALBW was my very first zelda experience and it was soo good i think i'll be playing all the future zelda game and maybe find ways to play the older ones ;)

MAB

MAB said:

They really should have delayed SM3DW and focused more energy on bringing MK8 & Smash last Xmas... A bad hand was played and lack of sales shows ;)

JEM2369

JEM2369 said:

Good that ALBW gets some recognition. It's a great game....
Meanwhile back in the UK BAFTA have announced their Game awards nominations and there isn't even one 3DS game on the Handheld category list!

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

So where are all the "only M-rated games win awards, journalists are bribed!!!" people?

I certainly agree with Zelda being the best handheld game. Out of all the 3DS and Vita games I played in 2013, I put in the most hours with Zelda. Such a great game.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

3d world IS a kids game, that is why I don't rate it as highly as even sunshine.......I know , it IS amazing BUT it's targeting short attention spans and sensitive parents and not gamers. It was rushed, no multiplayer options shows this.....you shouldn't have to play mostly through a game before getting a challenge.....except of course for in games made for kiddies!!!!
Rant over .....(still recovering from all the watch dogs gloom,sorry!)

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

Nah COD is a kids game. SM3DW is a game for all ages who love to have pure fun.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Games with real and big achievements in the wider industry are not 'handheld' or 'family/kids' games, they are M rated games. Nintendo has been relegated by many. I don't really care, but at the same time it irks me that offensive content is in many cases a qualification to be a top game today.

jhohaness

jhohaness said:

@Lance168 and what about it?? it doesn't matter if the game is difficult or not, it is still a kids game to say otherwise is delusional...

jhohaness

jhohaness said:

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

This is great! But SM3DW JUST winning for best Kids Game? It should have won Game of the Forever. I'm 95% sure it was the most played game among 20's, 30's and even 40's people. Kids are busy playing (trolling) in CoD, GTA and Minecraft... Well, I'm 23 years old and Super Mario 3D World was my favorite and most played game of 2013. I'm remembering the first time I arrived at Bowser World... dat presentation and DAT MUSIC, damn I got chills just by remember that, it was so amazing!

jhohaness

jhohaness said:

@JosieC84 I'm 28 and I love to have fun but I don't want to have fun with games targeted at children...Nintendo fans think that everyone must like kids games...

Inkling

Inkling said:

3D World deserved Game Of The Year.

I mean Cats.
Just..... Cats.;)
That alone makes it GOTY.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@jhohaness It just isn't. It's a japanese game, where the chartoon style is popular. I don't see the game targeting children. I don't think a kid appreciates the beautiful soundtracks these games have, for example.

Miyamoto also said in a Iwata Asks that these games are not targeting kids, 50 year old people play these games, so there isn't any childish content.

If it was a kids game, I wouldn't be playing it.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@ULTRA-64 But the casual public is formed by adults. The easiness doesn't have anything to do with kids. What does easiness have to do with kids?

And the levels are short because it is a fast paced platformer. Not every platformer is supposed to be stressful. SMB 1 is great, but you'll die a lot.
3D World is a more relaxing game (at the beginning), you continue, see different levels with different ideas, then it becomes challenging.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@jhohaness I miss the old days, when EVERY game was supposed to be for kids. Now we have that division that doesn't make sense. "Hey, it has a Hollywood-esque plot and blood, it's mature."
Mario games are mature. They have artistic value.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@AdanVC 3D World is a work of art, music, visuals, everything is outstanding. These games will be remembered.

Senario

Senario said:

@jhohaness "Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

This is all I had to post because you seem to think that just because something is Adult means it is better rather than it just describing something. Both terms are not inherently good or bad. It is the context to which they are used that makes it a disapproving term (though it is quite silly to have that distinction.)

Agent721

Agent721 said:

Best kids game? I guess the old jingle rings true..I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid...