Sega Looking To Bring More Free-To-Play Titles To The 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Initial D: Perfect Drift Online just the beginning, says Toshihiro Nagoshi

Sega is currently working on Initial D: Perfect Drift Online, a Free-to-Play 3DS title which is scheduled for release in Japan this Winter. Speaking to Famitsu, Toshihiro Nagoshi has revealed that the game is merely the start of a prolonged campaign to see how freemium gaming can work on a handheld console like the 3DS:

We don’t intend to stop with this title, and after looking over its results, we’ll think about what to do next. However, unlike games for smartphones, I believe there’s a perfect shape of ways to do things, somewhere out there, for the Nintendo 3DS. I believe that finding it will be our challenge, and in many ways, Initial D will be our first step.

At the moment, I can say that we’ve been thinking about plenty of things. We have suggestions amongst ourselves like ‘wouldn’t this be a perfect game for a F2P title on Nintendo 3DS’ and many more. So when the time comes to talk about it… we’ll just leave it at that for now.

Nagoshi also revealed that although Initial D is free to download and supports micro-transactions, it will be possible to play the game without spending any cash:

When there’s something special that you’d want, you can purchase points to get it, it’ll work like that. You’ll also be able to accumulate those points in the game by simply playing it.

There's no word if Initial D: Perfect Shift Online will make it out of Japan, but if it ever did, would you be willing to give it a whirl? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via siliconera.com]

MAB

MAB said:

SEGA is taking more steps towards a total eShop DIGITAL 4 LYFE takeover ;)

Morph

Morph said:

The thing that gets me with sega is they've got so many ip's that have gone untouched for so long that fans would lap up sequels, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Hang On, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Alex Kidd, Shining Force (properly done), Phantasy Star, Nights, Wonderboy, Outrun, Afterburner, Space Harrier, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue they are sitting on an absolute goldmine of IP why not get studios involved in making proper sequels to these games rather than messing about with free to play

MAB

MAB said:

@Morph With ATLUS back under their wing I'm hoping for a Mega Drive 3D classic or totally new ↓

Untitled

Whatever they do together will be gold ;)

Morph

Morph said:

@MAB i'll be honest i've never heard of that one it does look quite good tho, also a few more that have just come to me: house of the dead, virtua cop, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Virtua Tennis, Virtual On,

MAB

MAB said:

@Morph TBH I think those good old arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast days are over for SEGA when it comes to releasing all those awesome games you mentioned... Nintendo fanboys won't buy them so it will only sell to a few of us ultimate advanced hardcore gamers ;)

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Y'know, I'd say that the freemium model and racing games don't mix well, but the amount of money I've dropped playing Initial D games in the arcade begs to differ. Seriously hope this one gets localised!

EDIT: Just realised that it's not an actual racing game. Might pass then D:

Morph

Morph said:

@MAB i think that's probably true of a lot of the franchises which have probably disappeared from the public consciousness now but i've mentioned a few there I think are absolute money spinners just waiting to be made I mean Streets of Rage 4, Skies of Arcadia 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga 2, Shenmue 3 would just be license to print money. What I really want is Shining Force 4 made by Atlus I think they could do a brilliant job.

MAB

MAB said:

They're better off bringing the awesome Mega Drive franchises back so those Nintendites and MicroSony fanboys that turned their nose up at SEGA back in the day can experience the awesomeness that they missed out on... Like what @Morph and the MAB suggested ;)

Untitled

Star odyssey
Untitled

Beggar Prince
Untitled

The Legend of Wukong
Untitled

But they're very lucky that they get to try this soon ↓

Pier Solar
Untitled

Windy

Windy said:

I would rather Buy the game out right than this Free2Play deal. It just doesn't feel right.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@Morph Might ring some bells if I tell you it was called Soleil in Europe?Never played it myself but always wanted to back in the day.Just watched some videos of it and it still looks great,Sonic even makes a guest appearance :-)

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@MAB So I am a "Nintendo Fanboy" but my favorite system of all time is still the Dreamcast. This fanboy would love some Skies of Arcadia sequels :P.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Conflicted... hate F2P business models, but LOVE Initial D. It'd be great if they sold it outright, but since it's almost definitely not coming to USA and 3DS is region locked, I'm not going to need to worry about it.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I like that it's possible to play through Initial D without spending any money (akin to Temple Run).

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Where's the Phantasy Star Online 2 localization you promised Sega?

If you're cancelling it at least officially announce it and officially open the Japanese servers internationally.

SeVok

SeVok said:

The better headline would have been "Sega looking to bring tons of 3D classics to the 3DS. The dedication, polish and love they poured into these 3D classics is remarkable. Nintendo should draw lessons of this, they are a gold mine when done well.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Is it me, or does SeGa seem to be supporting the 3DS / 3DS VC more and better than Nintendo themselves?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Sega's done a better job with their line up of 3D Genesis classics and Game Gear VC 'game options' than Nintendo has......ribbit. :*
I'd love to play GameBoy VC games in Monochrome green, but it's just a lame attempt Vs the real thing. I'm baffed why Nintendo hasn't included a Virtual contrast slider. Because as is, the green drowns out a lot of detail. Alas i'm forced to play in Black & White....which has zero nostalgiac value, it aint right Nintendo. :P I'd also throw in the ability to turn off the ghosting/motion blur in Monochrome mode. Sega has done all of this and more. ;)

Mitsuko_Chan

Mitsuko_Chan said:

Japanese games tend to stay in the country for many months. I don't think it'll come to the US for quite a while.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

Sega, stop all this nonsense and put every available man, woman, and child on translating, and releasing Segagaga on either the 3DS, or ( preferably ) Wii U.

I'm not kiddin', do it now. C'mon, I'm waiting. Come on, you owe me one, anyway. Don't you dare ignore me!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@Morph I really want to try Sky of Arcadia and Shinmue... I love Crusader of Centy and it was a good competitor against Legend of Zelda. I recently tried Story of Thor and it was an amazing ARPG, although I am looking forward to Landstalker 2.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I'd download this, simply because it's free and I has a rather large SD card :) I played a lot of CSR Racing on my phone, and this seems very similar, except this won't kill my system after thirty minutes.