Feature: Our Favourite, Quirky and Baffling Pokémon X & Y Moments So Far

Posted by Nintendo Life Staff

If in moral doubt, stuff 'em with Poké Puffs

Pokémon X & Y has been in stores for a little over a week, and we imagine some 3DS gamers have devoted more hours to the game in that time than they'd care to admit. Gotta catch 'em all really means "gotta play the game until my eyes pack in".

While both X & Y are all about the serious business of exploring a mysterious land and capturing fantastical creatures into a small ball — the novelisation of which would surely win a Booker, or similar literary prize — we thought we'd highlight some of the humorous or surprising moments from our time with the game. Naturally some of these will cover different features from the game and, though we aim to be as spoiler-free as possible, consider this your light warning.

Katy Ellis

My journey through the vast region of Kalos has been both heart-warming and horrifying of late. After discovering that you can actually pet your Pokémon during battle by drawing a circle on the touch-screen once your opponent has fainted, I've taken to ritualistically congratulating my little team every time they have punched the lights out of another Pokémon. Sometimes I pause and think about the ethical impact of this kind of behaviour on the lives of different sub-species of Pokémon - enslaving creatures, forcing them to battle and then positively reinforcing them to be aggressive to one another... Then I feed them with Poke Puffs and feel much better about myself.

I also think that I've cursed my copy of Pokémon Y. No, really. After visiting a creepy mansion, I encountered a strange old man who told me a ghost story. He then demanded a very steep tip for the story, which I never even asked for in the first place so, of course, I flatly refused. Since then I've had a run in with what I believe to be a ghost, obviously sent by the old man to haunt me forever more. If you happen to be in the Northern district of Lumiose City and pop into a certain building, make you sure to take the elevator to the second floor. Just don't be afraid if the lights start to flicker...

Ron DelVillano

My birthday happened to be the same day that Pokémon X and Y launched (happy birthday to me, right?), and when I entered a Pokémon Centre I noticed that the lights were dimmed. Suddenly, the lights came up and everyone inside wished me a happy birthday! Any Centre that I went to that day displayed a large cake on the screen above the desk until I spoke the Centre Nurse and continued on with normal Pokémon Centre operations.

It seems as though my game was notifying other players of my birthday via wifi because I kept seeing random well wishes scrolling across my bottom screen all day. I think it's so great that X and Y encourages such personal and community interactions!

Also, some guy I talked to in a Pokemon Center alludes to playing HarmoKnight, another Game Freak game.

Morgan Sleeper

I tried to go into Pokémon X as spoiler-free as possible, and one of the coolest surprises I found when I booted up the game and stepped out of bed in Vaniville town - aside from finding a Wii U waiting for me in my bedroom! - was the PSS. The online functions in past Pokémon games have always been a bit beyond me - I'm not big on competitive battling and I get too attached to my 'mon to do any serious trading - so I wasn't expecting to find much use for the expanded system in X and Y, but seeing my fiancée's avatar pop up on the PSS as we were playing in the room caught my attention. A few exploratory taps later and we were sending each other power-ups in real-time - amazing! O-Powers have got to be one of my favourite additions to the game - they're the karma-boosting and actually-effective equivalents to mashing down and 'B' when throwing a Pokéball, and sending them over the internet to trainers I've never met - from Canada to Korea - gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling of camaraderie with my fellow Pokémaniacs around the globe every time I play.

Even more addicting and karmically-charged than these random, anonymized acts of kindness, however, are the oh-so-aptly named Wonder Trades. Wonder Trades have totally changed the way I look at wild Pokémon - now whenever I see a fun new monster in the grass, I catch one for myself and then go looking for another one for a random trainer somewhere in the world. Sure, I've gotten a few Pokémon that I could tell were cast-offs ("Morgan's Home for Wayward Bidoofs now open in Box 3!"), but I've also gotten some amazing 'mon I never dreamed people would've offered up to the ether, and it always makes my day! I always knew I was going to have a blast with Pokémon X, but who'd have thought Nintendo's latest monster-trading masterpiece would offer up so many opportunities for merit-making?

Stephen Kelly

I stopped playing Pokémon Diamond largely because of all the superfluous fluff that game crammed into every crevice. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favourite RPGs; but fashion shows, berry planting, and a whole mess of unnecessary systems had me pining for the rock-solid simplicity of Pokémon Red/Blue. My heart began to sink (or at least spring a leak) when the same kind of filler began popping up in Pokémon X, distracting me from tracking down an Onyx with laser-focused intensity. When I found the Trainer PR Video building, I warily stepped inside. Yes, I played along, but why would I want to film a five-second promotional video of my character, exactly? That's when I watched the finished product.

The camera swooped across my highly appealing visage, no longer a smattering of sprites as in days of yore, but a fully modelled polygonal wonder. I watched myself dance about in my chosen wardrobe, striking the dumbest and most delightful of poses as a laugh track uproariously encouraged every last antic in this personal limelight of my own design. By the end I was chortling just as hard as the audience, pleased to my core. I can hardly explain my extreme reaction to this display of unchecked narcissism, but it has turned me into an artist dedicated to perfecting and sharing these videos with my friends (against their wills). Oh, and I found an Onyx, so this Pokémon game is all aces in my book.

Tim Latshaw

I'm the type of Pokémon player who wants to give everything he catches a nickname, and will spend more time than necessary at the outset trying to come up with a theme to do so. This time around, however, I found myself on the other side of things when the in-game friends starting discussing what to call me.

I flippantly decided that they should deem me "T-Meister," then thought for a second. T? ...Tea? Yes! I would be the Tea-Meister! My rambunctious Chespin became Chai. My demure Flabébé was christened Chamomile. My Squirtle who is, uh, full of water? Kettle. I keep lists of tea varieties open on my laptop to find suitable names for my new catches, because once you cross the dork line, why not go all out?

So watch for the Tea-Meister when traversing through Kalos. He and his Pokémon offer rest and refreshment to the weary journeying toward their dreams, but a scalding spill to the laps of those who would do evil!

Those are some of our memorable and strange moments to date; share yours in the comments below!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Back in Pokémon Pearl I caught my first ever non-event Shiny Pokémon, a Psyduck, in Lake Valor. A couple of days ago I found my second during a Horde Encounter. Can you guess what it was? That's right! Another Psyduck! Needless to say I proceeded to catch it. ;)

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

I saw the ghost in north Lumiose this morning, i was a bit surprised, Haven't been to any creepy mansion yet,
Ive got trough the first half of the game (4 badges) but apart from my pikachu "Kim" I haven't found any electric pokemon where are they?

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I did not know that you could pet your Pokemon during a battle.

I shall pet them from now on.

Indeed I shall.

Rensch

Rensch said:

@ Hunter-D You can only do that after bonding enough with it in Pokémon-amie. Don't forget that.

Just a few awesome things:

• Putting a common Flabébé in Wonder Trade and getting a male Ralts in exchange.
  • Trainers saying memetic things like 'over 9000' and 'I can haz battle?'.
  • Check out the hedge mazes in the garden behind Parfum Palace from the balcony on the second floor. You will not be dissapointed.
  • Mega Alakazam, Mega Charizard, Mega Mewtwo, Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega awesome!
  • The PSS gives an unprecedented feeling of being part of a larger community...
  • ...which is now more accessible to both newcomers and fans than ever thanks to Super Training.
  • Eevee is freaking adorable in Pokémon-amie.
  • Finding a horde of Geodudes when one knocks the other four out by using its Ground-type move Magnitude in full derp mode.
  • The ghost in the hotel in Lumiose.
  • The sundial in Anistar City between 8 and 9 PM. Don't forget to find some of those Mega Stones, too. You have just one hour a day.
  • Searching for Pokémon not in you Pokédex in GTS...
  • ...while filtering out all the vile poké-scum looking for a lv.1 Groudon or Mewtwo.
  • The delightfully ridiculous cuisine of Lumiose City's exclusive restaurants.
  • Exploring the back alleys of Lumiose City which are full of trainers.
  • The Lumiose City detective story with Pokémon Platinum's Looker.
  • Realising you can combine the Lucky Egg with the EXP. Share now that the latter is not a hold item anymore.
  • Goomy, Froakie, Hawlucha and the mighty Tyrantrum!
  • Witnessing glorious cell-shaded battles for the first time.

Too bad they did bring that godawful Pokéradar back but not the Vs. Seeker. That's a bummer, but other than that. Awesome.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Well that was pretty informative. All I've done is play the story (just beat the Lumiose City trainer) and look through the GTS for some pokemon I may want. Havent used anything else in the PSS at all, but I have messed around with pokemon-amie and the super trainer.

As for things to do in Lumiose, I just hate finding my away around in that city and stay away from it as much as possible.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

@Rensch Ah! is that when my Charizard keeps looking back after I send it out, and I get messages like breathing in sync, trusts me etc?

Plucky

Plucky said:

I found it personally satisfying to KO whole Hordes, seriously, once you get a Combee for the ability to Sweet Scent stuff, grinding for IVs is pretty easy...with that note. it's sorta neat that they added canonical Pokemon rivalries into battles like 4 Heatmor whaling on a Durant or 4 Seviper beating up a Zangoose, it's the little bits of lore they actually bothered to place in the game.

Even Pokemon-amie has some things, like petting Goomy and other slime-like Pokemon turns your hand blue and moves slower, trying to pet magma Pokemon like Slugma burns your hand, petting Pawniard's line's blades cuts your hands and petting Pikachu's cheeks shocks you....and this isn't before considering stuff like Seviper swallowing cakes whole...like a Snake or Shedinja being unable to eat.

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

@Ron DelVillano: My birthday, too! For the first time in my 20's, I was able to ask for someone else to reserve and pick it up for me and they listened. I haven't been able to do that in a while. haha

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i just like how in some horde battles they end up fighting each other instead of fighting me xD

but over all the game is kinda annoying how it just basically throws everything at you like the exp share right from the start or pkm after pkm given to you ._. idk it just seems to easy

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@DarkNinja9 I also felt like there were way too many different wild Pokemon but then I realized that in order for them to squeeze in 718 species the tall grass has to be mega overpopulated...

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Personally I enjoy the fact that as a gaymer there are little tidbits here and there that speak to my community. "I want to work for a handsome manager!" Sometimes its nice to be included.

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

@gamingreal How do you get to see the ghost? I have all 8th badges (HAVEN'T DEFEATED THE ELITE FOUR YET) but I never payed the old man who told the ghost story.. how do you see the ghost? T^T

MarvelMon22

MarvelMon22 said:

did any of you guys meet that one veteran trainer that said "my body is ready"? I was laughing so hard... they truly get us, don't they?

ktribal

ktribal said:

I loved when that Grunt in Geosenge said that only Team Flare would be 'staying alive, staying alive.'

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@Coldfirex44: You don't need to see the old guy or complete the game. Just head to North Lumiose City, and go into the building to the right of the market stand selling cookie things. Take the lift to the second floor, and prepare to be freaked out :3

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

While I was playing, I came through a guy named "physic emanuel". After I killed his pokemon, excuse me, "fainted" his pokemon, he told me that my pokemon were super strong and they were for sure over 9,000.
You find references everywhere in this game, and I LOVE IT.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I continue to wonder if there's more to that ghost in Lumiose City. Surely they wouldn't leave an eerie event like that hanging ... right?

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

@Raylax Alright XD lol cookie things? I just saw the ghost girl when my 3DS started flickering.. is this going to be a different experience? XD

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

@Coldfirex44
Its in one of the office buildings in north Luminous city, its on floor 2 .

Now can anyone tell me how to get the Luminous city boutique discount coupon, a lady in the shop mentions its existance but i can't find it.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'm a huge fan of nicknaming my pokemon too. Some of my favorite nicknames: Charizard: Hellmouth, Greninja: Fathom, Lucario: Ironfist, Raichu: Tesla, Mewtwo: Psy-clone, Magmortar: Howitzer, Electivire: Hotwire, Samurott: Shogun.

Ukulele_Wizard

Ukulele_Wizard said:

I loved all the allusions to previous regions as well as the Harmo Knight reference pointed out in the article. I also liked when, I think right after you beat the 2nd gym, there's a psychic that you can battle and he says something along the lines of "your power level is over 9,000 for sure!"
My absolute favorite part of the adventure thus far is when I go into a battle and I see a new Pokémon or when I encounter a new Pokémon in the wild and for the first time in what feels like forever, instead of knowing beforehand what type these Pokémon are and how to handle them, I had to test out what move would be super effective or not very effective or totally neutral. It really adds a sense of adventure and I cannot wait to go to the Elite Four, who's, Champion, unlike previous games, isn't talked about at all, therefore adding even more to the sense of adventure. Pokémon X and Y are, so far, my favorite Pokémon games of all time.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I, too, found the... 'ghost' in a certain building. I'll be sure to go back there later on, see if anything else happens. As for nicknames, I normally really don't care for them. I see really stupid ones for Pokémon but when I saw that the in-game friends wanted to call me by a nickname, well there was only one choice...

Shauna: "Want me to heal your Pokémon, Dreamy Luigi?"
Heh, for some reason, I get fuzzy feels anytime either of the girls call me that. ^^

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

@Tobias95

Possibly, i wish there was clearer info,
I'm so used to buying games months/years after release that im used to there being fully complete wiki's detailing everything you could ever want to know that its annoying not being to find much info out

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I laughed out loud when I read Stephen Kelly's piece. I have exactly the same thing. I was like "Ugh, I just want to catch and train Pokémon, not make a stupid video." Three hours later I had an awesome video.

I also like the reference to DBZ with the 9000 quote and the reference to that rhythm game they made.

O and I was so excited that I got Bulbasaur, it hasn't left my party and I just love playing with him in Pokémon Anime.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

@Big_Boy_Chubs

you can turn exp share off in your key items menu and grind your pokemon the old way, I like having it but i must admit so far this game is even easier than usual, I think I blacked out once, I'm at gym badge 5 now
(yes it says "blacked out" again instead of "whited out" now that they have worked out black people aren't insulted by the term blacked out)

MadameJynx

MadameJynx said:

"I'm the type of Pokémon player who wants to give everything he catches a nickname"

This is me. I formally apologize to the victims of my wonder trades.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Does the realization that only females can wear actual formal attire such as vests count? That bummed me out so bad.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

LOL, love your theme Tea-Meister :D! On a side note, I shall now pet my gardevoir every time lol.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@gamingreal: I've found a number of Electric-type Pokémon since Santalune Forest, though many of them are Pikamon (Pachirisu, Emolga and Dedenne). I did, however, catch a Helioptile on Spikes Road, which is now my primary Electric-type and Normal-type in my party. ;)

TheGreatGamer

TheGreatGamer said:

How can you pet your pokemon during a battle? Either way I hope this game has two regions like it had before in heartgold, and soulsilver. Why take it off?! I also like the feature in heartgold that you can go underground with friends do some mining digging and those cool stuff. I really liked heartgold, now I really like pokemon x, pokemon white was great too, but there wasn't really any major additions besides new pokemons.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

I will name one of the many.
I was playing with my Eevee on Pokemon-amie (he was so cute ♥.♥), I was playing minigames, give him rare cakes and pet him. I was doing that a lot after that I leveled him up and I was surprised that he suddenly evolved into a Sylveon!!! I was soooo amazed!!! Then I discovered that by raising Eevee's affection and then level him up, he evolves into Sylveon.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

@Wonder_Ideal True! At first i would NEVER nickname my pokemon, but then i thought: they are named by species. U don't normally name a dog "Dog", or a cat "cat", right?

Brotagonist

Brotagonist said:

My favorite part of the game so far is Amie. It gives me an outlet for my unhealthy obsession with Pikachu.

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

I got my first nonstandard Shiny in this game too, a Dugtrio. Which I managed to catch with the very last Poke Ball in my possession. Best moment ever.

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

Goomy is love. Goomy is life. All glory to Goomy.

Also, I live for the PSS! I can communicate with friends, trade or battle in a second, and send cool power ups to my buds! This includes the epic wonder trade, and the new GTS system.