Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Six

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wedding bells (?) in the air, Toon Link's arrival and more

It's Monday, which means Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS screenshot goodness from the Miiverse Director's Room community; Masahiro Sakurai, by simply posting five screenshots a week, is certainly bringing a little extra joy to our lives.

Last week we had the reveal of Toon Link, while the daily pics have included some gameplay hints — Sakurai-san stated the following about a key Samus move, in particular:

The speed and power of Samus's Charge Shot has been drastically improved. However, that could potentially put her in danger on occasion.

We also learnt that Luigi's flutter jump — or we assume so with the description of him "paddling his legs" — is in the game, and Toon Link has those cute little bombs at his disposal. We also see Peach exchanging a ring with Mario, while an earlier screenshot showed her wearing that ring. Is it an engagement ring, or some kind of pretty GPS system so Mario can easily go straight to the right castle when she's kidnapped by Bowser? Who knows...

So they're all below for you to feast your eyes upon. And don't forget, Satoru Iwata really wants you to appreciate that HD Donkey Kong fur; to be fair, it's pretty darn fur-like — click the headings to see the original Miiverse posts.

23rd September

24th September

25th September

26th September

27th September

So we have some mystery, a new character and just pure awesomeness this week; let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (310 votes)

Samus's charge shot versus the shield of Fox

10%

Are wedding bells in the air for Peach and Mario?

22%

Luigi leaps higher, Mario could do with eating less pizza pie

Toon Link's a big poser when visiting Skyloft

13%

Oh, DK. Toon Link realises his fate as adult Link takes cover

44%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Is it just me, or does Toon Link have a slightly darker skin in the last screenshot compared to the one above it?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I'd have voted for the last one, but as I'm more hyped for the 3DS version (for obvious reasons), I voted for the Mario & Luigi one.

I did so for another reason as well, though: Luigi has a different jump animation.

Fire. Truck. Yeah.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

It's nice to see how Luigi becomes less a Mario clone and more a character himself with every release.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Easily the last one! XD

Anyone know how Samus's improved charge shot could put her in danger occasionally? I was hoping they'd elaborate on that.

I really like that they've got Samus wearing Other M's model of the power suit now. It's sleeker than the old model.

Poor Mario...He spent all those coins on a ring but didn't know that Peach really had eyes for Link.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

That Peach is quite the hussie! Last week she was all up in Link's cookie jar and now she's getting a ring from Mario.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@Williaint Well it's really the SS Link. And except for when I'm talking about OoT, I always just call the character Link. And since Toon Link is on the adult timeline, he really is an adult. Even though everyone in WW looks like a child.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@triforcepower73 It's actually the Twilight Princess Link. The bombs we saw in the prior pictures are the bomb designs from Twilight Princess. His armour and clothes are different as well. The big thing that changes him is the fact that the overall colour palette has been brightened up from Brawl.

@Jazzer94 I thought it implied there was a longer delay after firing the actual shot before you could move again.

Williaint

Williaint said:

@triforcepower73
I know, I know; But Every Link is supposed to be a child, that is to say, under adult. "Adult" is as much a general term as "toon". Toon and teen just sound better, because of the alliteration.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I vote for Donkey Kong's bomb return. The graphics are stunning and I love the look on all three of the characters' faces. The image makes it look almost like an in-game cutscene!

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

Is it just me or does Donkey Kong look better in Brawl than in Tropical Freeze? :P Excited for both games!

EpicGamer

EpicGamer said:

That pic of Mario giving peach a ring is making me think that there IS an adventure mode after all. Either that, or Sakurai has some REALLY good photo taking skills to make it look like Mario is giving peach the ring.

MrL1193

MrL1193 said:

@EpicGamer I'm pretty sure it's just a well-timed photo. Part of Peach's idle stance "fidgeting" in past games has always included holding up her hands to fiddle with her gloves, much like in the screenshot. And if you look closely, you'll notice that Mario's hand is actually still clenched into a fist, just like in his idle stance.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Would have been funnier had it been a bob-omb! Still, the pic is funny. :)

LoveNinty

LoveNinty said:

These screens are beautiful specifically the last one with link , toon link & DK ! I love the texture detail of his fur !
Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that rings on her middle finger if i'm not mistaken ? But maybe thats just the traditonal engagement finger in the mushroom kingdom - Lets pretend for the sake of a love story !

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Woa, that's some INtense next gen up close NintenGraphics in regards to Princess Toadstool & Mario's in-game arms.lol :* Good to see Wind Waker Link made the roster, but it was a no brainer, Still waiting for Pacman, Simon Belmont, Bill Rizer and my long lost ancient uncle the Goblin & goonies slayer Arthur the fabulous. :P

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I picked the Mario and Peach one, because I look at that picture and think of two life-long friends getting married. :-P

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Baby Prince Marioooooo? ;)

Definitely Peach and Mario.

ALSO

Will someone PLEASE TELL ME if the characters and maps are the same for both versions?!

I've asked in EVERY screenshot article.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@WinterWarm Characters, yes. Maps NO.

The console version will have maps based on console games. The handheld version will have maps based on handheld games. + Ofocourse the unique maps.