Shigeru Miyamoto Confirms That Secret Memos and a Code Are Hidden in Pikmin 3

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Will "be in touch again", the big tease

With Pikmin 3 already preoccupying Wii U gamers in Europe and all set to do the same in North America, it seems that there are some hidden treats to hunt out. Shigeru Miyamoto has updated the game's announcement community on Miiverse to state that secret memos hidden throughout the game will actually reveal a code, though the famous designer is holding back on further details.

Below is the full post, as Miyamoto-san pulls us in with promises of secrets before teasing us with a future reveal.

Even if you have the memos and the numbers, it's still unclear how to use them and what they do. No doubt the online community will get to work, however, and it's a question of whether the code can be broken before Miyamoto-san reveals more.

Have you found any secret memos in Pikmin 3, or do you even have the foggiest idea of what the code could be?

[via polygon.com, miiverse.nintendo.net]

Garo

Garo said:

I've got all the memos but no idea how to use the code. The memos show certain pikmin types with certain numbers so I tried adding them up and taking the respective number of pikmin out of the onion and even beating the final boss with just those pikmin, but no dice.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

The fact that the game STILL isn't out over here yet and that even Miyamoto himself is starting to give out spoilers in really getting on my nerves. :p

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

I got all the secret memos, interestingly, the code is different for everyone.

It's a string of 10 numbers (so one could be 199002356, for example). I have no idea what they're for though.

seronja

seronja said:

i doubt it would be a code for any kind of discount, tho perhaps it might be a teaser of his new IP? only time will tell when this is going to show up on youtube :)

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

Me and my crew will do whatever it takes to decipher it.....As SOON we get the game Sunday.

We're good sleuths, but if I had to guess. It'll be a note, teasing an upcoming not revealed game. A new I.P? or a old one that is in need of some spotlight?

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

After some discussing on Miiverse I discovered that everyone has a different code and in my second playtrough I got a different code then in my first playtrough. I could find 7 of the numbers, 3 of them remain hidden for me.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

I found all but 1 number. I'm repeating my Final day trying to find the missing number. Hope its for something cool, but only being 10 digits its unlikely to be a eShop code, I'm guessing its a web code or theres an update due for Pikmin 3 that will include a code entry menu to unlock somesort of bonus.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

@GiftedGimp Or maybe the code entry screen is already in the game, and we just don't know how to access it yet.....there is precedence for such a thing....

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

The child in me is hoping for something grand. The adult in me is expecting a download code for some high-res desktop wallpapers.

tchaten

tchaten said:

Don't get the notion of spoilers - games are experiential - it's not a huge spoiler to say where you can find the end credits in Animal Crossing New Leaf or that expensive bugs come out at night etc.

element187

element187 said:

The only Pikmin code I care about right now is my download code from Gamestop.... I really hope GS doesn't screw this up and I'll be playing as early as tonight.

element187

element187 said:

Since everyone's secret code is different, maybe its a code to get a discount on a game thats on the eshop?

hey NOA, how about giving us the 30% of TW101 for buying Pikmin digitally as well.

linkdeku7

linkdeku7 said:

To everyone saying it's a download code for a discount, etc: It's not. Did it ever occur to anyone the fact that you get different number sets with each playthrough? If each of these codes were a download code in their own right, then Pikmin 3 would no longer be a game, just a $60 coupon printing machine. Nintendo's not going to just give out endless discounts. Otherwise, they would break their own digital economy. The code is much more likely to unlock something, like new levels, gameplay modes, cutscenes, etc.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Garo Remember how in Pikmin 2 (I think it was the second), if you gathered x amount of Pikmin together they sang that popular song? Maybe it's something of that nature. Gather the amounts of each Pikmin type in the memos and group them together, see what happens?

Smug43

Smug43 said:

I also think it might be something to do with a mode or unlock some eventual free DLC.. maybe a special video of how the game was made.. who knows.. all i know is.. TOO EXCITE!!!!

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I hope they put some context to the numbers so we know which order they're in. There are 3,628,800 combinations. -assuming 10 numbers of course

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

When you get all the numbers you translate them to letters with a special device and the message reads, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."