GAME Expands Its Range of 3DS eShop Codes to Include Virtual Console and Download-Only Games

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A useful alternative

Earlier in the year we reported that the GAME retail group had exclusive European rights on eShop download codes, making it the go-to retailer for those that wanted to get their download games by paying with cash or keen to accumulate further loyalty points for the stores. The initial range covered Wii U and 3DS eShop retail titles, but following the release of a Pokémon Rumble U Special Edition and figurines, the retailer has confirmed an expanded range of download-only and Virtual Console download codes for the 3DS eShop; some (not all) were available before, but this seems to be a concerted and branded relaunch.

The prices align with the eShop at present, with the potential GAME benefits being limited to those with Reward Cards or others that simply want to use Paypal or pay with cash in store. The range and prices (UK) are below, and you can click on the headings to head to the respective areas on the official GAME website.

3DS Virtual Console Downloads

HarmoKnight — £12.99
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move — £8.99
Pullblox — £5.39
Splash or Crash — £2.69
Pokédex 3D Pro — £13.49
Fallblox — £7.19

That's the full range so far. Have you bought any download codes from GAME as yet, or do you intend to?

Metalslime

Metalslime said:

Got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Animal Crossing saved a few bob between them, happy out. I wouldn't have any problems getting all my codes from game so long as there is even a 5% discount

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I was in a GAME store today and was really surprised to see Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis is downloadable. That's a DS game so when did it become eShop material?

edhe

edhe said:

Or, you can buy a points card and still be eligible for reward points - it'll even let you buy DLC for games like Fire Emblem.

It's a practice I've been getting in to recently, and it's encouraging me to buy more downloadable stuff on the WiiU and 3DS than normally would. Same with Steam - if there's a game I've got my eye on, I'll buy a points card and earn a few store reward points on top.

But I may still take advantage of the game cards - particularly the GBC Zelda games.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

If there isn't a discount like they have for some of the retail downloads, I'm just going to stick to the eShop because its more convenient for me. This is still a good move though, since it will inevitably will raise sales and awareness to people.

But if I ever pass by a GAME, I might buy Splash or Crash with some loose change :)

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

More American game stores need to sell download codes

EDIT: I know GameStop sells 3D Classics: Kid Icarus, Pokedex 3D, Super Mario Land 2, Pushmo, and Minis on the Move. But that's all of them in NA.

steveex

steveex said:

Could Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis actually be the DSiWare Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again. GAME has the MvDK2 card listed under the name of the DSiWare version.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

I wonder of this will open up two possibilities:

1: 3rd party will do this
2: Porting over a game (e.g Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies) to NA via "Retail". Like releasing Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies exclusively on a download card.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

My last and final experience of using GAME as a shop was in Brentwood, Essex where, I picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening to purchase. I then noticed it was £7 more expensive than the retail shop down the road as well as all on-line stores. I asked the assistant if he could match this price as I like to support all retail shops, he then told me he could not do that. I won`t be shopping at GAME again unless they can save me money. Getting in my car and driving then parking costs money. So why would people not just download from the comfort of their own home.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm in Australia and even I've bought a GAME download code! (the early Pikmin 3 code release) Saved $20 off the eShop price so I was very happy too. Might even do it on a regular basis.

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

Went for a trip to London and visited a Game store.. Bought a 3DS code and only got the receipt with the download code. I did asked if i could get the eShop card too because it's cool but they told me it wasn't possible to give it :/

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Good offer to get reward points. Like others have mentioned Game also give reward points on E-shop points cards, which is a good offer as many other retaillers treat them as gift-cards so exclude them from their reward/points schemes.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't like game.co.uk I would be indifferent about it was it not for their exclusive basically amounting to them getting paid a subsidy.