Precursor Games Relaunches Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Campaign

Posted by Andy Green

The funding goal has been significantly reduced

Precursor Games has been trying to get its first ever project off the ground for a good while now. Back in May the developer - which is mainly made up of a handful of former Silicon Knights employees - opened up a crowdsourcing campaign on its own website in an attempt to obtain the funding required to release Shadow of the Eternals, the spiritual successor to the popular GameCube survival horror title, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

The project didn't go so well, though, as not much funding was being achieved through the site. For this reason, the studio opened up a Kickstarter campaign in order to create a little more awareness but it never really got going as people were simply confused about the whole thing.

Before the project came anywhere near its large goal, Precursor Games pulled all campaigns and promised it would be back. Earlier in July, the developer outlined some of the new additions to the new fundraising effort including contests and podcasts and now the new Kickstarter campaign has launched, but this time there's no sister-crowdsourcer running parallel on its website.

The goal for this new roll of the dice has been reduced from $1.5 million to $750,000. It was set to be an episodic game, but it appears this too has been thrown out of the window as the developer has stated it will provide an 8-10 hour playthrough. Fortunately, it's still down for a Wii U release should it hit that objective.

Interestingly, David Hayter is involved with the game. He's probably most famous for his voicing of Solid Snake, but he was also a part of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

If you decide to pledge $20 you'll receive a free copy of Shadow of the Eternals when it emerges and you get access to a hidden room too. In 29 days time we'll hopefully know once and for all if this one will see the light of day or not.

Does this new campaign tempt you to back the project? The teaser trailer to the game is below. Let us know your thoughts on the fundraising effort in the comment section.

[via kickstarter.com]

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

This sounds a lot more reasonable and realistic, hopefully things will go smoothly from here on out. I really want to see this happen.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

So I pledge $20 and hopes this game will launch. This does sound more reasonable then before but unfortunately they had to sacrifice the campaign for a more realistic goal. With that being said, i pledge $20 and will get the "free copy" when I launches so it sounds pretty resonable.

Csaw

Csaw said:

Apparently there is now a ps4 stretch goal so if it reaches that then thats another console exclusive u can mark off the wiiu's list

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

@Csaw Stop being selfish (sharing is caring). It's ok if it comes to other consoles. It isnt going to hurt wii u sales if it comes to ps4 because people are not going to buy a wii u just for this game. There will be other games to drive wii u sales.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I'm glad they adjusted all the things that kept me from supporting this last time. I hope to see this on my Wii U soon (after a $20 pledge, of couse :)).

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

8-10 hours seems really short. I'm guessing they're cutting out bunch of those characters they were planning to put in the game.

How long was the previous game?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

OMG and the first story is about Erzsebet Bathory (how her name is spelt in Hungarian)!!! I don't know if people know who she was but if not I suggest you do some research on her! Or don't, but I'm not sure how historically accurate they're going to make it. Considering the maiden Clara can use 'magic' I'm guessing not very but even if they do they can't go far wrong! I think I'm going to (finally) pledge to a Kickstarter :D

Neram

Neram said:

Really liking that it's not episodic anymore. I might actually back this.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Now this is something I can get behind! Literally exactly what they needed to do. Didn't think it was going to happen, to tell you the truth.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

"8-10 hour playthrough"

I'm never going to get the game now, not even when it's $5 or less on Steam. I expect more content from games these days, especially from one with a budget of a few million dollars. There are plenty of better indie games on Kickstarter to pledge money to. Be smart about what you fund guys. There's not even any gameplay footage yet.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@MegaManEP3 Yeah. The whole operation seems much better run this time around. Also, I wouldn't mind getting the game when it comes out and getting some bonus content for $20.

jcags

jcags said:

@Csaw This game is already targeted at PC as well so it was never meant to be an exclusive.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

They really need to reconsider its length. Its only been a bit over a day and its already at 12%.

AlphaLink

AlphaLink said:

I always get excited for a second when I see that picture. It totally looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar!

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

I want to back it but will the Wii U version be downloadable in any region (i.e. for me either Australia or UK)? Doesn't seem to be answered anywhere but I won't be playing this on PC so need to make sure I'll have access on my PAL Wii U.

defrb

defrb said:

"the developer has stated it will provide an 8-10 hour playthrough"

8-10 hour? i like 800-1000 hour a lot better :P

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Backed. Hope they will make it this time, and hopefully well over the target, so they can make it even bigger/better.

katric

katric said:

Good early morning! But, this second continuation of the last gamecube role playing game that you all made. That game was AWSOME!! I brought it before it was even on the floor. I beat it six times. That game was very awsome! And now that I've seen your new WiiU continuation of the game you all made for the G.C. Well then, I want to be the first in line to get this one too!!!! Very well then, since I read/heard from the main programer that you all will be giving the game to the people who are supporting you all quest for developing games(ps: I LOVE THAT You all are mainly Nintendo game programers only. I'm doing this because I want you all 2 stay this way!!!). So when next week come, I really am going to mail to you all my twenty dollars, no! Twenty five dollar supporting funds to you all. Cause like I previously said before, I LOVE you all gaming ideals, plus the graphics that is applied to those games. At that note, could you all please respond back to me through my email address the direction of where I'm to send/forward my contrabution to you all so you can contiue making these wonderful games exclusively for Nintendo? At this note, next week when I get paid, please count me on as, one of you all, supporitive Nintendo Wiiu fans.
Thank you so greatly.
ow, but I will say that this new title has been keeping me busy lately."ow, but I will say that this new title has been keeping me busy lately."Your respectly,
Bro/Dr(t.b.)
Katric T. McMillanow, but I will say that this new title has been keeping me busy lately."

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

@Assassin87 They haven't sacrificed anything. They've actually added stuff (notably David Hayter). The reason they are charging less is because of external partners, such as AMD, who are providing private investment.

They mention it in the kickstarter text (not the video!).

@Tsuchinoko ED was around the same amount of game length. With 9 levels, that is about an hour for each. I assume they are giving a realistic estimate for game length (since it was originally planned in smaller, episodic chunks) rather than what other companies do and give you a stupidly unrealistic number. I believe Activision once said that one of their CODs had a 10+hour campaign, and it could be beaten in 3 hours on an initial playthrough!

All being well though, stretch goals will all be about extra content (after the initial PS4 goal) so it may end up being longer. Still, 10 hours is alright for a $20 game.

I wish them the best of luck with this. They have already broken 100k so I am sure they will do it.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I hope they succeed, for I don't want to see this become but a shadow of an eternal hope. But I also want it to be a physical release every, say, 'season'.

Eternal Darkness was one of my favourite games ever, so there's a lot to live up to. But I trust they know that, and will not disappoint.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Looks good but these guys track record since their GC days tells me not to get excited!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

I added $20 last night and it was at $70,000. This morning its at $106,749!
Thats in one day! I hope this gets its money and is made, keep it at the top of the page please NL!!!

Everyone donate something, even $1 if you can.

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

Looks great, but only 10 hours? That is way too short for my taste, just like the recent Castlevania for 3DS, too short. I hope it doesn't cost 60 dollars, perhaps if I see it reaching the goal I'll pledge and get the game for only 20 dollars.

ACK

ACK said:

Pledged $20. Didn't before due to the convoluted process and unobtainable goal. As a general rule I don't support a Kickstarter unless supremely confident in it's outcome. That still doesn't apply here, unfortunately; however, so I suppose blatant nostalgia got the best of me... Without a doubt, I'm shamelessly; though, whether that makes me naive or not.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Guys I am pretty sure when they mean exclusive, there talking bout Console Exclusive (not including pc)!!! And everybody complains about the campaign time. Some people may jus do the story part and others take the time to explore and if there are side missions, they do those too. I hope they have side missions and other stuff to do and they mean the main story is 8 - 10 hours long.

supermonkey117

supermonkey117 said:

I would gladly donate £20 if i knew for sure it isn't for nothing, big fan of sanity's Requiem very impressed with that gem of a game in my top 5 of survival horror games ever and i love how on the video the style of the game looks the same as eternal darkness .