NES-Inspired Action Platformer Odallus Could Be Hacking Its Way To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Yup, it's another Wii U-related stretch goal

Indie studio JoyMasher has revealed that its NES-style action title Odallus: The Dark Call might be Wii U-bound — assuming it reaches its crowd-funding stretch goal of $55,000.

Inspired by the likes of Ghosts 'n Goblins, Castlevania and Demon's Crest, the game is an action platformer with RPG elements and stars the excellently-named Haggis as the central hero.

The IndieGoGo campaign has been started in order to raise funds to employ a composer to create the game's soundtrack, but a series of stretch goals have been established to help push the development that little bit further.

At the time of writing, Odallus has raised $3,460 of its initial $5,000 target with 40 days remaining. Will you be pledging your support in the hope that this comes to the Wii U?

[via indiegogo.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Hope they make it, I was very well impressed by that video last week.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

I hope they know how they're putting this on wii u if they meet that stretch goal. I wasn't aware you could make Wii u games with Multimedia Fusion 2.

dyopri

dyopri said:

great looking retro game and looks perfect for the eshop. seems like a lot of thought has been put into this game. here's hoping they get the funding they need!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Game looks awesome! Need more games like this, hopefully it gets to it's goal. Does looks alot like CastleVania!

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I am a huge fan of the NES & SNES series Castlevania & Ghost N Goblins .... So I am all for games like this, Shovel Knight & Volgar to come to the Wii U eShop ;-)

Superstick

Superstick said:

Wow. By the end of the year Wii U will be LOADED with these indie kickstarter games! (I hope gears for breakfast decide to make A hat in time for Wii U btw!) ^_^

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Looks decidedly retro and seems to be interesting enough for me as a Castlevania fan, but I HAVE to get one thing off my chest:
Haggis? Really?? A sheep's stomach filled with meat and spices is the hero? REALLY???
And the girl's English is absolutely horrible, they should have let one of the guys do the explanation and especially the voice over during the gameplay scenes. During the first few moments I actually thought I was listening to a computer voice...

World

World said:

Personally I think it kind of looks like NES Batman, although the main character looks like he's from Kickmaster. But those RPG elements make this look like one worth playing, oddly-named hero or not!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Man, first Shovelknight and now this. I am absolutely LOVING these kinds of games. Keep 'em coming :)

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I'm kind of surprised more people haven't jumped into this. This looks exactly like classic NES sidescrollers and even looks like it plays similarly. I'm a sucker for action platformers in this style so I would get it if it comes to Wii-U.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

haha this is sweet indeed, same guys that made oniken* (for windows, mac os x, linux)
however, i cant find anything about a 55,000$ goal for odallus, just a 5000$ one...

*shots from oniken:

UntitledUntitledUntitled

ogo79

ogo79 said:

and then theres this 20 minute thing here that everyone should watch for odallus:

Pod

Pod said:

This DOES look cool, but even if the Wii U stretch is only $30,000 now, I'm not sure they're going to make it, stading at $5,500 currently.