Super Ubi Land Is Set For A Name Change

Posted by Andy Green

Notion Games reveals Ubisoft has been in touch

Notion Games is bringing Super Ubi Land to the Wii U eShop in the near future, with the help of Maestro Interactive Games.

However, though it will eventually find itself in the eShop, it's likely it won't be going by the name Super Ubi Land as it seems Ubisoft has taken issue with it.

Notion Games revealed there will be a name change via the following tweet:

The developer went on to say:

Ubisoft is not doing anything wrong. They're protecting their business just like any small business would. They don't want Notion infringing on their brand. They're being fair.

Super Ubi Land - as it is currently known - is a fun-looking platformer that takes a lot of influence from titles such as Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World. Notion Games recently said it would like to bring the title to the 3DS eShop too, though we've had no concrete news on it just yet.

What are your thoughts on this? Would a name change bother you? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com]

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I was actually confused thinking Ubisoft was involved some how. Now it is clear

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

For a second I thought that Ubisoft got publishing rights yet again, like they did with Cloudberry Kingdom.

Terra

Terra said:

I completely agree with the move, the name has caused unnecessary confusion

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Yeah I knew this would happen. Every time I heard the name I instantly thought of Ubisoft & had to correct myself each time :p It wasn't that appealing of a name imo anyway.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Yeah, I had assumed it was an Ubisoft project when it first appeared.

Super Notubisoft Land

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Agreed with those who said it was confusing. Sometimes, brand-name concerns like this are unfounded...but not this time. This one really does need changing.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

@Melkaticox At first, I that you suggested 'Super Dubai Land', which gave me very odd mental images.

While I'm all for the name change, Ubisoft is NOT "just like any small business." Otherwise, carry on, universe.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Well I think its fair for Ubisoft to ask for just a name change. I hope they rename it to something better and not worse.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

Yeah... normally I'd say something like this is ridiculous, but it makes sense on this.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Very well justified, I thought it was being published by ubisoft back when announced and still got confused when I heard it.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Not surprised, I actually thought this was a Ubisoft game when I first heard of it..

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Makes sense. Like many others, I too thought Ubisoft was involved with this game when I first heard if it.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

At least it seemed to be a courteous agreement between them even if it was rather forced. I wonder what name they will come up with now.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I think it makes sense. When I first heard of it I did think Ubisoft was involved in some way and then thought, "Oh dear, I hope they don't get in trouble for that!" Seems they didn't, just a polite request which they heeded. Everybody seems to be handling this like adults.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I thought this game was FROM Ubisoft.

LOL I think this is a good move. Change the name to something better.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@DefHalan Ditto. Many would have naturally assumed Ubisoft is involved in some way. I wonder what Ubi means - aside from potato.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

eventually it will be like that episode of futurama where they are trying to name something new and only have 2 words to choose from that won't infringe on copyright

Henmii

Henmii said:

I heard Ubisoft suggested to change the title into Super Delay Land! Or Super Every Year a new Assasin's Creed Land!!

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Super "No, Your Exclusive Game Is No Longer Exclusive and Delayed" Land.

However I will buy this game instead of Rayman Legends.