SEGA's 3D Classics Range Gets Closer to Western Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sonic and Altered Beast join Space Harrier with ratings

The SEGA series of 3D classics has been gracing the Japanese 3DS eShop this year, and if you follow our Nintendo Life YouTube page you'll have seen how keen we are for these releases, as we've been filming the Japanese versions for your pleasure.

While the eventual Western arrival of 3D Space Harrier was made more likely due to Australian classification, the same can now be said for 3D Sonic the Hedgehog and 3D Altered Beast, which have just received their own classifications, leaving 3D Super Hang-On as the odd one out of the four. Considering the fact that 3D Space Harrier was playable in London for attendees at the recent MCM expo, it certainly seems like a case of when rather than if.

Also in our benefit is that these were all games released in the West back in the day, and we'd wager will still have enthusiastic fans that'd snap up a new 3D version. Some of the SEGA '90s kids within Nintendo Life Towers are certainly hopeful, and we may not have long to wait.

[via joystiq.com]

Related Games

MAB

MAB said:

Send them on over yo... They will remove the pile of dust my XL is buried under ;)

seronja

seronja said:

streets of rage 3D Classics trilogy is what they should release next... those games were even better then most of neo geo beat em up's all thanks to the awesome soundtrack =D

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Nothing of interest here. All boring games IMO and should be called 3ds ancient not classics. Altered Beasts many will find was not as good as they remembered.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I can’t imagine SEGA would keep these games Japan exclusive, they know that there are a lot of nostalgic fans here in Europe and the US too I'm sure. I noticed they are developed by M2, who did the excellent 'SEGA vintage' versions of Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Super Hang On and others available on PS3.

I'd get Sonic certainly, I hope SEGA add OutRun as that is one of my favourite video games ever, since I first played it back in the 80s. They dont need the Ferrari license, they could just use the generic car sprite they had in the Shenmue version.
Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Streets of Rage or Revenge of Shinobi would also be great.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

@seronja Now THAT would be a great idea and a must buy.

Personally the games they're talking about releasing arent nearly as interesting as the Game Gear VC games. Those actually havn't been available for years, these 3d games have been

Raiko

Raiko said:

Great news. I'll probably snap all 4 up. Super Hang on and Space Harrier are a must!

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

@Sonicfan11589

Yes I think so as well, I would actually wish they did a new ecco title for the 3DS but original ecco and tides of time as 3d classics will also be great

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'll probably snag all of these if they come our way. Fingers crossed for Hang-on too!

As for other Sega titles, Sonic 2 and 3 with their 3D perspective bonus stages would be awesome as well. Sonic 2's especially... I get so nostalgic when I play those stages and the opening fanfare starts! I second Streets of Rage and OutRun as well!

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

It's funny, I was just thinking about how I want to play the original Sonic over again for about the millionth time. Was going to download the new updated version on my iphone, but maybe I will hold off and wait for this release.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

@Musterd YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED RISTAR! One of my all time favorite Genesis games when i was growing up. I LOVED that game so much. Do yourself a favor, go buy a copy of any genesis collection on whatever system u own and play Ristar.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

I'm only going to get Space Harrier :(

I own Super Hang On and Sonic already, and I can't see why I would enjoy Altered Beast without a lot of nostalgia value to stand on.

It's sad that there are only 4 classics coming out from SEGA though. I hope some other companies follow suit! /pokes Capcom and Konami

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

James will drag them to our shores if it's the last thing he does.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I wish they would put Tails and Knuckles in this game like the new iPhone versions. Knuckles is my favorite.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I really want to try the first few Sonic games (before I start on Generations and Lost World), so I really hope 3D Sonic gets here soon!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Love to able to play Sonic 1 and Space Harrier in 3D, those two games would look fantastic! Hopefully they do make it over here

@Giouku Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, & Knuckles,Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed...yup, you got some great gaming ahead of you :) Whatever you do, don't play Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, it will probably make you give up on Sonic with all the load times and the bugginess, only the super dedicated Sonic fans like that game.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

And that's the reason why the 3DS is dominating in Japan, because they get all the good retail games and eShop exclusives.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I'd rather have Sonic the Hedgehog 2 given the 3D Classics treatment, to tell you the truth.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

What's taking so long?

Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do OutRun instead of Altered Beast. That one is begging for the 3D treatment.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@KnightRider666 If you can't tell I'm not the biggest Sega fan. As for Sonic I've never really liked any of them really. I think a platformer should be for exploring and that goes against the speed of the games. Sure you can explore if you want but its not as fun. Don't get me wrong I'm not the biggest 2d Mario fan either!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

As far as 2d platformers go I love the DKC games including the excellent DKCR and Rayman Origins. As far as gaming goes pretty much everything else really.

I've even said 2d Mario needs to die a slow death! I do love 3d platforming though.

Windy

Windy said:

oh yes! oh yes! Im lookin forward to mainly Outrun and probably sonic. I might also get Hang-On. Never been a big fan of Altered Beast or The After Burner. Although After Burner Has always looked cool to me. Now Bring me the whole Shining series sega! LOL

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

come outa nowhere and give us contra hard corps in 3d. 'twould be the greatest day of my life.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@TheAdza I would pay close to twenty dollars for that game, only because Sonic 3 & Knuckles is 16 dollars on Wii VC, and I expect both with 3D Classic treatment to be closer to twenty.
@FlimerNgameR So do I, so do I.

KongFu

KongFu said:

The 3DS needs more 16-Bit goodness!!! So come on. Nintendo's own 3D Classics series could also use a second season; but this time: SNES............ : D

Windy