Recent Taiko Drum Master Games Ship Over 500,000 in Japan

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Rhythm games aren't fully dead just yet

While the manic clacking of plastic guitars has largely fallen quiet across the world, Japan still has a place in its rhythm gaming heart for a different instrument: the humble-yet-iconic taiko drum.

According to Siliconera, Namco Bandai has announced more than 500,000 combined units shipped for two titles in its Taiko Drum Master series: Taiko Drum Master: Super Splendid Edition for the Wii and Taiko Drum Master: The Little Dragon and the Mysterious Orb for the 3DS. Each game has currently seen release only in Japan, making their numbers even more impressive.

The Taiko Drum Master series requires players to beat their drums to a list of songs ranging from classical works to videogame soundtracks. Super Splendid Edition includes tunes from Dragon Quest X, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Monster Hunter Tri G. Its 3DS counterpart offers tracks from Tales of the Abyss and My Neighbor Totoro, as well as a light quest mode. All games feature the mascot Wada-don, an anthropomorphic taiko and the cutest thing you’ll ever want to un-ironically smack in the face.

Taiko Drum Master has had a few releases outside Japan in the past, but never seemed to take off. Have you ever played a game in the series? Let us know your experiences below.

[via siliconera.com]

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

"In Japan, drum beats YOU!" Lol, love that!
Wouldn't mind seeing more rhythm games on the 3DS. Especially a weird looking one like this (although weird comes with the genre).

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

These titles although wacky, look like games I would very much like to play! They remind me of Donkey Kong Jungle Beats which I also have yet to play and plan to do so in the future.

CaveDweller

CaveDweller said:

I've always been a sucker for a good rhythm action game (Elite Beat Agents absorbed a huge portion of my life back when it came out), so it's nice to see they can still be successful. Never played a game in the series before, though.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

Going by VGChartz, this game did VERY well for a third party release in Japan in the 2nd half of the Wii's lifespan. I also hate how Activision ran Guitar Hero into ground.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I have the first three Taiko drum games for the Wii, two of which came with the drum controllers. They are quite fun, but you do make a lot of noise hitting those drums! I cannot imagine this would have the same appeal on a handheld, though.

gblock

gblock said:

I've "acquired" all 5 on the Wii (had the two that were on DS when I had one as well). Just need to get a drum for the wii to play them the way they're meant to be played :-(

Never understood why they never localized these to the US

domdom87

domdom87 said:

I love the taiko series, but it doesn't work localized. The english ps2 version had the sh*ttiest songs.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i want all the taiko games, rhythm games are one of my top favorite genres (along with action/adventure, open world platformer, and jrpg's)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Why can't they release this one here! Nintendo, you promised more japanese games in the west :(...

katseye

katseye said:

I played an arcade version of this, that was set up in the video game room at a recent con. Even though it was in Japanese, it was still a lot to fun play. I would definitely buy this, if they would release it here.

Cengoku

Cengoku said:

Do like me, buy a japanese 3ds via internet.
I own Animal Crossing since november. I bought Taiko no Tatsujin 3ds 2 weeks before and it's awesome.
I bought the Inazuma Eleven go game too.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

This was a fun arcade game. It probably wouldn't be fun on 3ds though, because you're not really hitting a drum :/

I wish DJMAX would make its way to the 3DS, but it's only on Vita atm :(

Gameday

Gameday said:

I love this game on ps2 or gamecube , i cant remember but i played it at a Game Crazy back in the day with the full drum kit was dope. Id pick this up for 3ds indeed.

defrb

defrb said:

I got all taiko titles on my wii, its an awesome game, when you like drumming that is ^^