Luigi 3DS XL Model Dated and Priced for Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We'd like it too, Nintendo

Back during the April Nintendo Direct, the Japanese broadcast showed off the new Luigi 3DS XL model, and it wasn't revealed for other territories. Considering it's a special edition to tie-in with the release of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, we're running out of time for confirmation that it's coming to the West — E3, if we're lucky?

In any case, details have now emerged for the new XL. As expected it'll arrive in Japan on 18th July, and it'll include a digital copy of the game pre-installed on the system's 4GB SD card. It'll cost 22,800 Yen, which is more than a standard XL in the region by roughly $20-25, meaning that those that opt for the hardware are ultimately getting the game for slightly less than normal.

We do have the Animal Crossing: New Leaf 3DS XL bundle on the way, however, so it's not all bad.

We do rather like this Luigi design, so let us know whether you want it to come Westward in the comments below.

[via destructoid.com]

Ignatius_Cheese

Ignatius_Cheese said:

I would love to pick up this 3DS XL. My blue XL is looking a bit sorry as some of the blue paint has rubbed off and there are scratches on the hinge.

orravan85

orravan85 said:

Man, Looks pretty cool. And agreed, my blue 3DS XL is looking pretty rough too. Love it though, pretty tough system, the places I take it and handle it, I would never do with a psp-anything.

Conkers64

Conkers64 said:

I like it more than the batch we have in NA, but still feel Nintendo is gipping us of quality colors. Who wouldn't buy a true NES, SNES, or N64 themed XL? What about that neon pink one (it's not XL) that Japan has --it's a manly pink? So would I buy it, sure ... but I dream of more.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

I just hope Australia gets something, anything. I'll buy this or the Animal Crossing XL one, heck even the Fire Emblem XL. It's so hard to import a console because a small defect will take weeks to exchange.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Not a fan of this LE 3DS XL and green is my favourite colour too :O

Hopefully it'll look better in person like the AC XL.

lazyinsu

lazyinsu said:

I love the design! Too bad I can't afford it... I can't even afford to get games for my Wii U.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Kind of looks like someone puked up their greens on their 3DS. I'd be all over this or the Animal Crossing model if either had a more interesting design. A plain green cover with a small while silhouette of Luigi would have been better, IMO.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

I wish I had a special edition. XL is the most plain n boring looking handheld ever

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

This looks hideous. It looks like the worst camo design ever more than a lugi design. Keep this thing away from the rest of the world.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This looks sooooooo good! :D

They better release this in EU! I'll pick it up in an instant!

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

I don't get why they just don't do solid colors with a decal or something. Those tend to look the best in my opinion.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Another awful design choice for special edition XL's. Way to keep the trend alive, Nintendo!!!

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Not a fan of this color to be completely honest.
Much rather have a purple XL or a Project X Zone styled XL.
EDIT-Wait, I'd much rather have a Waluigi 3DSXL! :D

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Looks nice but can't afford it so i'll just stick with the original 3ds aqua blue

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

This is a really nice looking 3DS xl! I'd get it if it came out in the US before the Animal Crossing NL one... but I already have it preordered.

Mr_3DS

Mr_3DS said:

I have a regular 3DS and really want an XL...I would definitely get this one

murphy77

murphy77 said:

that would make a cool camo pattern if used right id like to get that 3ds been wanting one