Kevin Conroy Confirms He Will Feature in Batman: Arkham Origins

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Dark Knight Rises, again?

Update:

It's now been confirmed that Roger Craig Smith will play the main role of Batman, with Troy Baker as The Joker. As this game is set in a younger Batman's world, we can expect Kevin Conroy to either fill another role or, alternatively, as a narrator of an older Batman looking back. Either way, the Caped Crusader will have a new voice.

Original article:

Just a few weeks ago we reported that Kevin Conroy wouldn't be returning for Batman: Arkham Origins, with the suggestion being that the developers were seeking a younger voice. He's now confirmed, at Dallas Comic Con, that he is involved, citing a non-disclosure agreement that meant he previously wasn't allowed to talk about the project.

Conroy has been the voice of Batman, in cartoons and various video games, for around 20 years, so it's not beyond the realm of imagination to say that as an experienced voice actor he'll be able to adapt to voice a younger Batman. It wouldn't be the same, frankly, if Batman didn't have that distinctive deep voice, even if it's lightened a touch for the new tale.

Good news for fans of Conroy's portrayal — of which there are many — and you can hear him talk about his career and the games industry in the shaky-cam footage from his talk, below. Just below that, you can see last week's debut teaser trailer for Batman: Arkham Origins, which shows Batman battling with Deathstroke.

[via eurogamer.net]

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Great News, I just hope Mark Hamill returns as the Joker... but sure I've read he's not somewhere :(

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Magnalon: I am sure he will be Batman in some form. Perhaps he will be playing an older Batman looking back and remembering where it all started.

@GiftedGimp: Hamill is done with Joker. In any case he probably will be too busy with the next Star Wars films.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Well this was one of two reason why I wasn't gonna get Origins because of him not voice Batman. Though still the main reason I am not getting is that its not being developed by RockSteady.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This is really good news. I have always liked Kevin Conroy's interpretation of Batman.

EvilLucario

EvilLucario said:

@Magnalon Hm. Roger is definitely talented, with his range of roles fairly wide. I mean, that same person also voiced Sonic from Colors and onwards, and he sounds decent in those games.

But... meh, I'm not really interested. Hope it's good for all those Wii U owners, but I'm personally not interested yet.

banacheck

banacheck said:

He is not voicing as Batman, just read an update on another website, Roger Craig Smith is voicing as Batman.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

I bet this'll be one of those flashback games, and Bruce'll be telling the story. Old Bruce'll probably be voiced by Conroy if that's the case.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Woah..I never knew what he looked like. It's always weird seeing voice actors.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

Conroy tweet today...

"Confusion in Dallas! I am in new ARKHAM GAME coming soon, not ARKHAM ORIGINS coming this fall."