Developers Reveal Information on Shin Megami Tensei IV
Posted by Tim Latshaw
Q&A held during Atlus event
Developers of Shin Megami Tensei IV fielded questions from the curious during the Atlus Live 2 Days extravaganza in Japan this weekend, and the folks over at Siliconera were able to glean information on the upcoming title from their answers.
According to developer responses, Shin Megami Tensei IV should clock in at more than 50 hours, with some estimating more than 60 or up to 100 hours of playtime. A harder difficulty mode and paid DLC are also potential inclusions.
The game is said to be largely independent of the other numbered titles in the series. There are also no direct ties to the world of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, although the Black Samurai character will somehow relate. Lucifer and the three iconic Jack brothers are expected to appear, as is a new Jack Frost demon.
Soundwise, Shin Megami Tensei IV is said to have more than 100 in-game tracks in its repertoire, including some remixes from earlier titles. An option to turn character voices on and off will also be included.
- The developers appear conflicted on whether a female lead character would appear in the future. The possibility has not been ruled out, but some seem to feel the series is suited better toward male lead characters.
- The map designer quipped that so much focus has been placed on the Shinjuku district of Tokyo because that’s where he currently likes to drink, but that other areas of Tokyo will also be featured.
- The Moon Phase System will not be included in Shin Megami Tensei IV.
- Experience points can be acquired both by demon fusing and conversing with them.
- The infamous “Macca Beam” from Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey will be back.
- A comic will appear in V-Jump magazine.
Shin Megami Tensei IV will be rising 23rd May in Japan and 16th July in North America, with a European release date to be determined for the summer. Does anything stand out to you with this new information? Let us know below.